Zero Punctuation: inFamous

captainwillies

Feb 17, 2008
and the epic battle between Cheeze_Pavilion a long time Gone Gonzo and Pellucid the
Copy Clerk continues. who will win? does it matter? is Pellucid ignoring hard evadence? does Cheeze_Pavilion know when to quit? ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

Reg0

Dead Eye
Jun 15, 2009
Its only out on ps3

its a good karma bad karma game

you can use lightning in fable / you can use lightning in infamous

hence it reminds me of fable

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
Great review!

but he from inFamous what's he's name again... are realy ugly he look worse than the shopkeeper from the game 'revenge of the shopkeeper'

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
BAM! Off world slavery!
Other than that awesome line, thank you Yahtzee for bringing up the issue of "moral choice" in games.

I agree. Games do need to eventually realize that moral choices should reflect realistic role play and withhold profound narrative consequences. I don't like it when a game has you make choices based on a manecheist gameplay feature that ultimately has you play it twice in order to experience full content.

The Wither pushed some boundaries in this sense as it constantly had the player make choices. Some of them were pretty obvious and shallow, others uncertain (neither good or bad) with effects that could only be identified later on. It wasn't ideal, but it certainly was adequate. In fact the game's tag line was "There is no good or evil. Only choice and consequences.".

We're not there yet, but we've got to try. Grey moral choices, I'll take that into account when developing. Let us hope for the best. :)

And please continue proposing this sort of debate.

Pellucid

Mar 29, 2009
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
There's a difference between seeing some infringement as legitimate, and not protecting something. Infringement is...INFRINGEMENT! Allowing some to be taken away. Not protecting something is allowing ALL of it to be taken away.
Hey look, more words that Cheeze_Pavilion has unique definitions of that nobody else goes by. If one is protecting a person's right, one would assume that that person's right would not be infringed. Stop making up new definitions to try to retroactively make your arguments make sense. Nobody's buying it except people who want you to be right so desperately that they're willing to completely ignore your egregious errors of logic.
If you've got a better source, share it.
I'm not the one making a positive assertion. It's on you to provide good evidence that waterboarding scars people for life. You're the one asking us to put innocent lives at risk due to the unproven possibility that maybe some really evil people are having long-term psychological damage.
1) I see you're moving the goalposts from "long-term psychological damage" to "traumatized"
I consider those two things to be the same thing, actually.
2) A "couple of people" have NOT suffered "long-term psychological damage" from gang bang ass rape. Therefore, according to your logic, gang bang ass rape STILL continues to not be torture according to you.
You really do have some pretty serious logical disconnects. I stated that waterboarding doesn't cause long-term psychological damage to the overwhelming majority of people who experience it, i.e. the entire United States Armed Forces. Not "if one person doesn't experience trauma, it's OK." In fact, I said the exact opposite: "if MOST people DO experience trauma, it's NOT OK." Somehow you managed to take what I said, hear the exact opposite, and then conclude that I was wrong. Therefore, if you think that the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I said was wrong, then you must think I'm right.
Notice what is missing? Pain. Your definition of torture leaves open the infliction of any amount of pain as long as none of those four lines are crossed. If we could tap into the nerves and cause direct pain, that would not be torture under your definition.
I would feel massive pain at being imprisoned, as I have a fear of confinement. Does that mean that imprisoning me counts as torture and that therefore I should not be allowed to be imprisoned?

Pain is fleeting. It's there and then it's gone. If inflicting momentary pain on an evil man saves the life of a good man, then it's OK by me.
No it isn't. If I'm a Christian of a certain belief, it's in my best interest to die sinless and celibate as a martyr. The clear purpose is to do God's will. There is a Christian perspective at odds with the natural perspective.
Except you're basing your position in an incredible leap of faith. I'm basing my position on millions of years of evidence.
According to that logic, it's acceptable for me to steal from a rich man to give to two or more poor men.
Not at all. That would set a precedent that theft was acceptable, and would ultimately hurt everyone severely. You can't just look at the immediate consequences of an action, you have to look at the long-term consequences.
It also makes every guilty party an outlaw: it means I can do everything from rob to rape to enslave to murder any guilty party from terrorist to shoplifter.
Ideally, such a situation would cause nobody to want to be a guilty party. Additionally, doing undue harm to a guilty party harms innocent parties who are associated with the guilty party, so if you enslave a shoplifter, his friends are going to be harmed rather severely with emotional distress, and therefore that action is unacceptable.
So basically, under your laws, the only rights I have are to keep living and reproduce.

--I have no right of free expression: my words might hurt more people than they help
You have no right to free expression as it stands. Hate speech is outlawed. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater. We've already banned forms of speech that clearly hurt more people than they help. There would be almost no alteration from the current system.
--I have no right of religious freedom: if everyone would have a better chance at living and reproducing should I follow a different religion, I must follow it.
Nonsense. If someone tried to force you to follow a specific religion, you would become resentful and discontent, which would harm society. Again, the current philosophy of free religion already follows my maxim. There would be almost no change.
--I have no right of property: I should not keep anything for my one person that could benefit two others
False. Society needs to feel that hard work is rewarded in order to function smoothly. It is imperative that everyone be allowed to keep what they earn. The only change from the current system would be that you'd have more of a right to your own property than you do now, thanks to the existence of entitlement programs like Social Security and Welfare being altered to use individual accounts or eliminated.
--I have no right of liberty: if I choose to spend my time doing something where if I had spent my time doing something else I would have saved a life, I've done the same thing as if I had gone over and killed that person myself.
Only if that action saved the most possible lives. If we don't have people doing the mundane jobs of the world, the world would collapse and billions would die. If you don't spend some time relaxing after working, you'll become stressed and inefficient. If everyone becomes stressed, it will cause massive civil unrest.

You seem to be incapable of looking past the immediate consequences of an action. Until you can, you are incapable of understanding my philosophy.

punkrocker27

Mar 24, 2009
lesterley said:
But I suspect that much of his smart, irreverent humor is completely lost on the majority of his younger viewers.
lol
about as smart and irreverent as a family guy joke

Pellucid

Mar 29, 2009
Oh yes, clearly Sarah Palin is guilty of hate speech. You're completely off your rocker. Do you realize you just accused me of being "too logical?" And that you're implying that Sarah Palin is a domestic terrorist "stirring up" the populace?

Also, if only physical pain counts as torture, then waterboarding isn't torture because it doesn't actually cause physical pain, just psychological pain; it makes you believe that you are drowning even though you are not. So now that you've invalidated your own argument about seventeen different ways and put words in my mouth that were never there about nineteen different ways, are you ready to throw in the towel yet? This conversation has ceased to be entertaining.

captainwillies

Feb 17, 2008
Pellucid said:
derp derp derp
seriously dude as a third party it looks like your just getting more and more arrogant. Cheeze_Pavilion is right; all your doing is finding gaps in the argument and using your "own logic" to see how long you can stretch this thread out.

the truth:
You do realize you're the *worst* kind of thinker? Even worse than the ones who are NOT logical? See, you use logic as a rhetorical weapon--you use it to find any gap in your opponent's argument *whether that gap represents a flaw in their argument or not* and try to exploit it.

It's people like you that give people like me a bad name. Please stop using words like "logic" to describe your methods: you're slandering by association those of us who use logic to try and find truth as opposed to trying to appear victorious in arguments.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I was shocked that he liked it somewhat at least from what I gathered seeing as most people seem to hate the game. I think it's pretty good even if it is just a shooter that replaces guns with electricity and it is but if you really get bored with that set it to easy and screw around for awhile using melee attacks.

Also if your looking for a good new brawler superpower game try prototype.

FlySkyHigh

Jun 16, 2009
Dunno if you really check this stuff Yahtzee, but you should definitely check out Prototype. From what you said about Infamous I have a feeling you'd simply ADORE Prototype. That, and I'd love to hear whatever comments you could come up with.

massau

Apr 25, 2009
dam you have found mine plan for world domination (ath the end with the evil guy)

Stig_Marshall

Apr 13, 2009
Ok ok you 2, Peluucid and...... Cheese pavillion? (wtf does that mean?!) You're both extremely flawed Critical thinkers and arguers. You're both just dishing out your own code of morality as actual truth and basing your srguments on what you believe (which you thinly veil as "logic") not what is fact. And there is a very simple reason for this. You can't win or lose an argument based on faith and beliefs because there is NEVER (and I mean never, even in the case of fascist dictators) a way of determining what is "truth" or "the course of right" because they are just that, beliefs. Stop trying to convince the other person; you have totally confilcting ideaologies.

And of course you are both insulting the others ability to argue which is ridiculous. If you still want to vainly convert the other at least stick to legitimate arguments, and not resort to infantile insults. Douchebags. (and yes I'm fully aware of that irony please DONT correct me as you seem to do so adamantly to each other).

I am basically dismayed at what I have read. You two keep using fancy words completely out of context just to look impressive and it looks ridiculous. Write what you mean in plain, unconvoluted english and stop looking words up in the dictionary when a simpler word would quite happily suffice.

What you are debating is what has been debated for centuries or more by the world's most talented philosophers. You are not going to sort it out here on a gaming forum of all places, when you are quite clearly both not the worlds most talented philosophers.

You are both right if its what you believe. Accept the other person is too. There is no answer. Find something more worthwhile to do with your time like joining a debating club if you love it so much (although from what I've read on here you'd probs not be too popular with your silly fraudulent logic).

I'll try and sum it up in a sentence: You are both lost in a maze of morale relativism
Love it :D

Have that mofos :p and think carefully about what you are writing and don't fall into the trap that so many debaters have done in recent years, and which is why there are so few brilliant philosophical minds left.

p.s. there is dedicated political discussion forums just for this so check them out. Leave simple gamers in peace free from rambling wannabe philosophers.

Daemon 085

May 20, 2009
alot of people have told me the game is very good, but a game of 2 extremes being good or evil with no grey area as ZP said i mean, why is like, power an orphanage or zap a box of kittens? why cant it be a 3rd option of zap the box of kittens to power the orphanage? yes, kittens are an alternate power source.

the only game ive seen that does the karma system right is fallout, you can be all nicey nice to someone, then as soon as theyrebacks turned mini nuke the snot out of his town, not quite a karmic balance but you get the point