Zero Punctuation: iPhone Games

syltman

Feb 12, 2009
The best games on the ipad/iphone so far is in my opinion the monkey island remakes (only on the ipad, the screen is too small on the iphone), PvZ and Minigore.

itsnotyouitsme

Dec 27, 2008
Beyond not having an Iphone, i haven't even had any Iproducts. The closest thing I've had to an Iproduct is the Itunes schools keep obliviously on their computers. Scratch that, I did hold an Ishuffle for a friend once for some odd reason, but do note my skin did visibly try to escape from under it.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Alright, you want innovation and a game that is different from all the games in the series up to this point, you need to check out Kirbies epic yarn. They throw out the "change into what you eat" mechanic in favor of "use a set number of transformations interchangable to reach your goal." The whole "Yarn" deal isn't just in the art style but actually effects the gameplay, the story, and the very feel of the game. It is quite easy, you can't actually die, but the challenge is more of "collecting every little gem in a level for a score at the end."

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
I quite liked this, being a iPhoney, it was interesting because I did not own any of these games and he sounded so calm and levelheaded.
It was weird that there was no real rant in this, but I dug the change of pace.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
How to breathe on Mars.

First, spend most of your waking hours on a computer with internet access (if you're visiting the Escapist's website, you're likely to be a gamer. That indicates that you have next to no social life anyway).

Second, don't be a texting whore.

Violà. You can breathe on Mars and are capable of holding a real conversation with people, assuming you can come out of the cave you keep your computer and Cheetos in long enough to find yourself making eye contact with anyone.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
He did have a lovely point about seemingly ever other industry just desperately chasing whatever seems to be popular however, instead of....just making good stuff and hoping people like good stuff.

for instance, FPS's, motion control, and MMO's. We had Modern Warfare, the Wii and WOW, and now people just keep throwing cash at those three things, hoping lightning made of gold will strike twice, instead of making some new good things and selling those to us. Seems to be a case where the marketing budget is more than all the creative budgets.

Could be a similar feel on TV, at least in the UK, where if the BBC shows "celebrity skydiving knitting challenge" and it gets viewers, ITV clear most of saturday night for "Superstar Deathplunge Crotchet featuring Vernon Kay" with Dermot O Leary hosting 'Deathplunge Crotchet EXTRA!' on ITV3 an hour later.

You know the worst part of this? I'd probably watch Superstar Deathplunge Crochet...at least once, even tho the BBC one would be of higher quality.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Oh breathing on Mars is easy, so long as you can settle for air that isn't Apple branded.

GuiltBlade

Nov 6, 2009
In answer to your question Yahtzee, through an incredible long straw and a very dedicated hydroponics plant floating in orbit.

A refreshing break of pace, although I was hoping for some of the more bizarre releases for the iPhone.

Good show and looking forward to any more adventures into the world of alternative platforms.

Red-Link

Feb 10, 2010
It's probably already been mentioned, but I feel the need to mention that a lot of these ideas are present in various forms the online Flash community (such as games like Crush the Castle for Angry Birds or Splitter for Cut the Rope), or are flat-out released there, often before the iPhone release (Doodle God).

I'm not trying to bash the amount of variety in the iPhone games, but I do wish that the Flash artists and programmers could get some support for the things they do. Often that's where I feel the best new ideas are, even if it's not necessarily the best implementation of them. Just play a few of jmtb02's games to see what I mean.

By the way, for people who've played this game, but not played Cut the Rope, when you first saw words relating to rope, were you also hoping for something along the lines of You Have to Burn the Rope?

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
I found a way to breathe on mars because I am not a ******.

(PS : no, not homosexual people. the other kind.)

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm... i need an IPhone? Butbutbut... i don't even have a normal cellphone. (Well... i have a 11 year old one in some drawer, with a defect power pack and no account)

I don't WANT people to be able to disturb me at all times...

But back to games on phones... it is A DAMN PHONE. You talk into it and you hear some other dude reply. Damn kids with their hoverboards and kinect and jetpacks... (Information: i am 28 *g*)

Fatal-X

Feb 17, 2010
Meh. I'm disappointed this week Yahtzee. I don't give a flying shit about Apple's little money printer.