Zero Punctuation: Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Marmooset said:
Yahtzee's so gonna get fired for this!
This website appears to be add free. I'm sure yahtzee will be fine. Besides, he's too popular to get fired.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
grittiness and realism is a cover based shooter has finally gotten out of hand and patheticly over the top

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
I have never expected that Mr. Croshaw reads Video Game news and alast, he actually remembers the Gerstmann gate scandal.

Good review anyways.

Phokal

Oct 12, 2009
That was the most brutal review I've seen in awhile. I actually enjoyed KL1, in the same way one might enjoy a crappy action movie. I just wish they built in more army commands from Freedom Fighters (the game that preceded KL1 in gameplay/engine). If you haven't played Freedom Fighters, it would be hard to retro game it, but for the time it was very fun and kind of like Pikmin meets Gears of War set in Red Dawn. KL1 was set up to be like that, too, but set as Pikmin meets Gears of War set in the movie Heat. Unfortunately, the cover system was broken and you only got to control 1 dude each when you played KL1 co-op. Near the end, you got a few more people, but they rarely survived very long and you couldn't recruit additionals throughout the level like you could in Freedom Fighters (@resistance member spawn points, regenerating your squad back up to the maximum number).

It looks like they removed all the dudes entirely and made it a std FPS/3rdPS? That's a real shame. Oh well, maybe it'll still be fun as a co-op shooter for an afternoon. Here's hoping IO moves on and makes a good Hitman follow-up. It's been awhile.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Ya know, I agree with Yahtzee, but recently he's just getting droll.

One of his complaints was the graphics style, which looks like its being shot through a camera. Now, while it was not as well executed as it could have been, that was a step towards immersion. However, it wasn't praised; let alone mentioned. The point of being a reviewer, or critic, or whatever the hell he calls himself is to point out the GOOD and the BAD, lately Yahtzee just seems like hes pointing out the bad without mentioning the good.

Yeah, this game sucks. Bad. But the way it was shot was worth noting, as it was a semi-decent attempt at immersion that could have worked with a little more polish.

ALSO; who cares about Gerstmann? He was the worst GameSpot reviewer; he was incredibly biased. BRING BACK GREG KASAVIN!!!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
PRetty much like the first game then...does, surprise me at all

geekRAGE

Aug 23, 2010
YAY! Finally an accurate review of this hoe bagger of a game. First/third/cover based shooters seriously need to be put on a hiatus, there is way to many of them out and they just seem to get worse with every release.

codernator

Apr 3, 2009
How do you set a game in a major Chinese city and come out with a gray-a-thon?

Why do the drooling masses want their fantasy life to be about a pair foul-mouthed morons with no redeeming qualities?

And who thinks POV provided by an 8mm camera on the shoulder of a leper is a good idea?

It's a shame, too, because the setting could be great for an actually good game about real characters and intriguing story. Maybe Kane and Lynch could make a cameo being served as dog food.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Rogthgar said:
Waiting for Yatzee to grow a pair and review SC2.
He's already explained why he wont in Extra Punctuation. It's not a case of balls, it's a case of he isn't into that sort of games. End of.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Where does Kane and Lynch 2 lie on your "worst games I ever reviewed" list? Would you say it is even worse then Too Human? While Too Human had the problem having all the game design problems down to its bone marrow, from how you presented it, the bones of Kane and Lynch 2 might be all right (even if a few are broken) but all the pours spew $%^@ and gets it everywhere.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Marmooset said:
Yahtzee's so gonna get fired for this!
The Escapist wouldn't dare fire him, Yahtzee would have websites throwing themselves at him if the Escapist stopped employing him.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Little Duck said:
I think I've figured it out. Duke nukem was so good, it jumped backwards in time and landed in Yahtzees lap. Then magically disapeared making Yahtzee it's prophet for the amazingness to come.

I jest. It'll probably be good but I'll get a lot of games before I get the duke. Mostly cos I was a wolfenstein/ Doom player when I was young and I never really played the duke.

I do often wonder how bad games sell. Marketing only does so much in the gaming industry, with most games sales dependent on word of mouth and pre releases in the same genre. If the nfirst one was so succesful (and I dear hope to god it wasn't) how can it exist today as a sequel. Multiplayer sounds cool though, but that's not the basis on which to get a game on in my book.
Did you know Duke Nukem was a sweet series of action sidescrolling platformers long before Duke 3D? In fact it's the first game to my knowledge that let you use a flamethrower that doubled as a jetpack.

I only remember Duke 3D because, well, the strippers. ("omg! pixel bewbs!", what do you expect? I was 12.) It was the first mainstream 3D shooter (that I know of) that let you pull out a wad of cash, "shoot" it at a stripper, and watch her remove her top and spin pixelated tassels. (kinda like The Saboteur, if it was on the SNES... and starred an ass-kicking, foul-mouthed American killing aliens instead of Nazis with guns from DOOM. So, nothing like that game, really. heh.) Good times... (ah, nostalgia. such a sweet, sweet drug)

Actually OT: Never had any interest in Kane and Lynch. It seemed like an interesting premise, but nobody I knew had anything good to say about either game (and the demo I got to play sucked). Io and Squeenix are both better than this. You'd think at least Square would have learned to focus on perfecting core mechanics BEFORE the ridiculous and/or spectacular story (or high concept in this case). Especially after what happened with Dirge of Cerberus.

Do you feel better now, Yahtzee? It seems like you were suffering from some sort of insult constipation that cleared itself in this review. Great show and keep up the good work.

David Eller

Jun 26, 2010
Interesting how much he hated it and yet he still beat it.

Then again, there arent too many good games out at the moment.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Rogthgar said:
Waiting for Yatzee to grow a pair and review SC2.
Yes because real men play starcraft 2......

played trial version of kane and lynch 2 and just hated it.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
David Eller said:
Interesting how much he hated it and yet he still beat it.

Then again, there arent too many good games out at the moment.
Not surprising considering the entire game clocks in at... what was it? Four to six hours?
Bit different to the 20 hour tutorial of FFXIII.

I was expecting this trashy game to be torn apart and i'm so glad you did. Shitty sequels from even shittier franchises should just not be made, period.