Zero Punctuation: Kid Icarus: Uprising

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Poor Medusa, always getting a bad rap. If you look at the actual story, her only offense was having the poor fortune to be raped by a God(Poseidon in this case) in the temple she was priestess to.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Start up game, options, controls, change aim style.
You can change the aim style to the ABXY buttons you know. Lying comfortably in my bed playing Uprising. ;)

I liked the humour, quite funny, and when you up the difficulty some maps have new paths/rooms with hard enemies in them for some nice loot.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
getoffmycloud said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
getoffmycloud said:
Milky1985 said:
Methinks he protests too much if he has to spend the first minute of the video saying "i'm not anti nintendo".

Also heres a suggestion , if people don't like the controls why not CHANGE THEM.

Its right there, in the options, if you bothered to look.

Oh thats right that would require reviewers to actually point out this fact rather than ignore it or read a manual.
Yeah cause its really good game design for people to have to change the control scheme because the default controls are shit
To complain about something that trivial shows how lazy, petty, ignorant and downright ungrateful today's gamers have become to me. Thanks for reminding me that, assclown.
Well considering rather than fixing it they felt the need to design a peripheral that stops the 3ds from being a handheld it isn't really that trivial if Nintendo are going to continue being that stupid then I should be able to complain about it
The stand is alright, but I certainly didn't need it for my first playthrough of the game's story. Even now, after I've tried it out, I barely ever use it, unless I'm already sitting at a table or something.

lozfoe444

Aug 26, 2009
I absolutely loved this game. The comedy was right up my alley, the controls never gave me much trouble, and the multiplayer is actually pretty fun.

One thing that did bother me, and I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't bring this up, is that the levels can get pretty samey, and repetition sets in. To quote Pit, "Get up, fall down, get up, fall down. Fight in the air, fight on the ground."

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
Surprised he didn't complain about the alien invasion. Seriously, who nitpicks deviations from Greek mythology when a game decides to have an alien invasion in the middle of their interpretation of Greek mythology?

I'm just gonna assume that everything he didn't bring up in the review is good, because that leaves about 95% of the game. He didn't touch on the story outside of the outline you get in mission fucking one. He didn't remark on the bosses at all. He didn't say anything about weapon variety or enemy design or level design or fucking ANYTHING about the game design outside of shitting on the controls, which he also didn't mention are highly customizable to the point where you can remove the stylus completely. And what, exactly, annoyed him about the dialogue again? I think he called it "self-referencing" but I'm not sure what he means by that. Referencing the one game they had 25 years ago? They stop that after mission 10. Hell, the first 10 missions are basically a remake of that game anyway, and they're never annoying about it. Most of my favourite jokes in the game are when the gods make fun of Pit, which is all the time and all of them do it.

I'm wondering where he gets the retro feeling from. This is the most baffling comment he made, really. After Skyward Sword and Mario 3D Land this game feels a full decade ahead of the rest of Nintendo's offerings. It's easily the most contemporary feeling game Nintendo's made since the GC was in it's prime. This feels like a game from 2012. But I guess because it showed an 8-bit sprite at one point and uses chiptune music for some enemies it's a "retro" game.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Why just yesterday I was playing SSBB and we decided to cycle through some people we never play and Kid was one I played. Actually a good one to use.
And now everything is ruined. Least I still have Snake and Zelda/Shiek to play as.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Still don't understand why they try to make Medusa; A demon snake woman with a face so ugly that it turns men into stone, hot? STOP MAKING ME WANT TO BONE MY ENEMIES! Also, please leave my pwecious Valkyria Chronicles alone Yahtzee.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Tiger Sora said:
Why just yesterday I was playing SSBB and we decided to cycle through some people we never play and Kid was one I played. Actually a good one to use.
And now everything is ruined. Least I still have Snake and Zelda/Shiek to play as.
So sorry to inform you, but Yahtzee also didn't like MGS or Ocarina of Time.

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
mmmm... drillbits now i know what im gonna have for dinner instead of mac and cheese

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I actually got to play this game a bit. And if anything. I agree that the humor is very obnoxious. They don't even try to be subtle. They just plain curb stomp the 4th wall with references. Who the heck does that except for a complete parody piece? That would be like if I was playing kingdom hearts and every Disney and square enix character mentioned a specific event from the movie/game and the sequels despite that contradicting the current plot line of the conjoined universe they were currently in.

Ya don't do that! Immersion, hello? Pit whines like a little girl too about his lack of flying I mean seriously he does not stop talking about it. The gameplay was kinda fun but I did have some problems with the controls. I played the first level and my arm was feeling the burn. I don't understand this control setup. Why is this game like this?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Er...shit.

After I saw that little image of the guy in the hole I just really felt like playing Terraria, and it made me not able to pay attention to the rest of the video.

Was I just trolled by my own mind? Or the video? Or possibly both?

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
therandombear said:
Start up game, options, controls, change aim style.
You can change the aim style to the ABXY buttons you know. Lying comfortably in my bed playing Uprising. ;)
Ultimately I never did that because I'm used to these controls thanks to Metroid Prime Hunters.

Lordofthesuplex said:
Yes! Yes you are! It took me barely a minute to adjust the controls to my liking, what's your fucking problem then?

And they are doing their job, what might be good controls to one person may be shit to someone else.

Seriously I'm fed up with twats like you that share Yahtzee's elitist mentality and I'm not going to be nice about it anymore since it's why we can't have nice things apparently. Come up with a more legit complaint or shut your fucking mouth.
And this ladies and gentlemen is the type of person on the opposite side of the "Can't comprehend that Yatzhee tearing games apart is his job and should be taken with a grain of salt" spectrum, the "I'm angry because Yatzhee didn't like a game I like" side.
Yatzhee himself has said before that he exaggerates and pokes at tiny details and yet there are still people who come up to the stand and either believe that Yatzhee's reviews are the word of god or flip out when a game/series/company they like is under the crosshairs. Both sides of this spectrum, please shut up already. Stop white knighting Yatzhee and stop white knighting for the games he reviews negatively.

I mean come on, next you're going to tell me people complained in the Resistance 3 reviews because "Insomiac did not copy Valve at all, I can't take a joke, etc"

Chill out and enjoy the show or go read reviews that are not done by Yatzhee, the choice is yours.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Enlong said:
TheKasp said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
But nice things AREN'T SHIT DEFAULT CONTROLS!

Adjustable controls my ass. If they are too incompetent to make a good control scheme to begin with why should I bother to spend money on this game?

Enlong said:
Yes. Shit controls = developers are lazy. So. Fucking. Simple. Making them adjustable is just another shit excuse to not put any thought and time into controls to begin with.
Well, forgive me if I've found little-to-no problem with these allegedly "shit" controls. Several dozen hours in, and the only problem I had was the way I was holding the system, and that went away when I figured out a much more comfortable way to hold it.

The customizable controls are there because if you ask 100 people which setup is the best, you'll get 100 different answers, and that's not even taking lefties into account.
Hate to break it to you, but just about every reviewer thus far, even the one for Freaking Nintendo pointed out these are some of the worst controls. Just because YOU didn't have a problem doesn't mean thousands didn't.
Yes, it is rather baffling that so many reviewers had issues with the default control scheme. It's rather unfortunate that a number of them had the same reaction, but I suppose there's no accounting for coincidence. I've been in contact with people in forums and stuff who didn't have problems with the default scheme, so I suppose it's just very unfortunate that lots of the ones who have trouble with it were reviewers. I know that Reviews Are The Gospel, to steal a turn of phrase, but reviewers don't necessarily represent everyone. Again, though, different setups work for different people, so these reviewers are perfectly within their rights to change up the controls.

But perhaps I shouldn't keep talking around you. You deserve better than that. How was your experience with the controls, Robert?

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
I too found the stand to be stupid and the default controls to be shit, so you aren't alone in THAT assessment. But the controls can be customized and picking an option that doesn't use the stylus makes the game MUCH EASIER TO PLAY, even for a left handed person like myself who Nintendo would sooner ship off to concentration camps so we'll stop annoying the right handed master race with our demands for equal rights. That doesn't stop the dashing off cliffs or irritatingly bad camera though, even now 90% of the times I die is because I got cheap shotted by something just off screen...but I still like it! At first it was frustrating but I got used to it and I've barely put it down in 3 weeks!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Angels in Greek mythology..... I smell bullcrap

angelos in ancient greek means messenger, the little chaps that delivered messages between the gods, well you know text's hadn't been invented!

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Well, I had a good laugh out of this. I love the game, and I knew Yahtzee wouldn't like it, so here's to not letting someone with a different opinion get to you!

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
ChocoFace said:
"spines like the last banana on the shelf"
Why, yes, i did laugh out loud. Verily.
That line in conjunction with the hilarious pictures of oddly proportioned people had me howling with laughter! I nearly fell off my chair.

OT: I was going to base my purchase of this game on this review. Conclusion? Well I don't think I'll bother! ^_^