Zero Punctuation: Kid Icarus: Uprising

mildare

Aug 26, 2010
Yahtzee's reviews have been getting consistently worse for a while now.

Do Fez, you shit.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Iampringles said:
Funniest ZP in a long time.
I would have thought the protagonist would have been called Icarus, given the title of the game...
Nintendo loves confusing the shit out of its consumers. Check DIS fuggin' shyit out!

------------------------------

Anyway, funny video as usual. About what I expected from a ZP vid featuring a Ninty game.
Hilarious comments. About what I expected from a ZP comment section featuring a Ninty game. Fans of the game accusing the other watchers of being spiteful and blind sheep respectively when they just dislike the game. Fans of Yahtzee accusing the people that liked the game of being nostalgia-idled blind sheep when they really just think the game is good and disagree with Yahtzee. Sunrise, sunset, just another day at The Escapist!

As for me personally, I've heard from peers and reviewers alike that the game is good, and the cheesy dialogue in the game makes me laugh, so I'm gonna pick it up. And hey, if the controllers suck as much as everyone says, I'll just change 'em. No big.

Jezzer

Mar 23, 2011
I don't understand why it's so important to people that Yahtzee love their consoles. Why do you care whether or not Yahtzee loves Nintendo? Is someone going to kick in your doors and take away your Wiis and 3DSes because Yahtzee didn't like the latest Mario clone?

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
totally heterosexual said:
Medusa is really fappable now though.
Interesting. Last time I checked, gorgons were ugly as fuck. Apparently, Nintendo doesn't know as much about Greek mythology as they would like us to think.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
CXZ_inc0g said:
I still don't understand what people are going on about when they whine about the controls, though.
Just from my experience, I can stand up straight whilst walking and I can play the game easily. Left thumb on the circley-thingy, left index finger on the trigger, right hand holding the stylus.
How come this is so difficult for everyone?
Because people are lazy and hating Nintendo is cool.
Welcome to the interwebz.

And you know what the worst part is? The controls can be changed as much as you like to whatever you like. So there is NO excuse to cry about them. It's one thing to say controls are bad, but are adjustable, but it's another thing to cry about them, trow crap all around your self and say the world is doomed like Yahtzee likes to do.

They can go into the menu and change everything in every game, but when it's Nintendo game, they QQ like little brats because they have to do the same thing they did in any other game.

And Yahtzee, there is a lot going on around the screen, but this is the first time I hear you complain about this, while games have this problem for over 10 years. Look at any shooter game and you will see nothing. They use fucking fireworks instead of bullets. But you didn't complain about it then. No...

One more thing. If you need 1 minute to explain how you're not against Nintendo, there is something wrong. When I'm accused about something I'm not, I simply ignore those accusations. Especially if it's over the internet.

p.s. I'm not mad. I even laughed about some parts. I just find it annoying that Yahtzee can't be funny without thinking things up or completely ignoring parts that beat his arguments. There are many things wrong with Kid Icarus, but Yahtzee rants about some, which aren't even that important.
And complaining about the 3D is funny only so many times.

samaugsch said:
Interesting. Last time I checked, gorgons were ugly as fuck. Apparently, Nintendo doesn't know as much about Greek mythology as they would like us to think.
It's a game about a fucking kid flying, shooting light arrows from 2 swords and having pistols. Where do you see them even trying to be close to Greek mythology. They only used it as a starting point, nothing more.

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
Y-dawg, PLEASE do Prototype 2 when you can. Worst sequel ever made and one of the worst games I've ever played. Someone needs to rip Radical a new one.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Yaaay, I'm a twat. Thing is, fellow, rather vocal twats make me feel ashamed for liking the same shit as they do. Seriously, am I the only one who fucking loved both the game and yahtzee's review? D8

I loved the game from its "so bad it's good" dialogues and banter, to the ridiculously animefied mythology (which has to be applauded for providing the most hilarious Hades I've ever seen) to its in my opinion quite intuitive control scheme (touchscreen takes the role of the second analog stick the 3DS doesn't have... FOR REASONS I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND). Then again, I do have rather big hands and my wrists are carpal tunnel syndrome proof after finished the last crappy Zelda on the Wii so I might be biased.

I loved the review for being accurate on some criticisms (fuck you, twitchy dodge move), pointing out the hilarious goddess strip show and giving me more great analogies to stea... I mean be inspired from.

PS: Multiplayer is awesome, though. 8DDD

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
samaugsch said:
Spoilers: She does get pretty ugly during the boss fight but the boobage still makes it bearable if you have a bag at hand.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
Yahtzee is not anti Nintendo, he just hates Kid Icarus, Zelda, Metroid Prime M and Brawl. Just coincidence! Of course not, doesn't matter what he says he's biased whether he believes it or not.
Except for the fact that he doesn't hate Metroid prime he hates Other M and IMO anyone who has any level of taste hated Other M. He also doesn't hate Zelda he hated skyward sword, from passing mentions he seems rather fond of Wind Waker. On top of that he spent the first minute or so of the review talking about how he liked the GameCube and the original DS, but no because he had the nerve to not like a game you enjoyed it is so very obvious that he is biased.

OT: most funny ZP in recent memory, but I already knew I wasn't going to be buying this game and it was only half because of the controls, the other big reason was that based on the clips in the Game Trailers review the voice acting is terrible and the "humor", if you can even call it that made me want to punch my screen.
EDIT:

hurricanejbb said:
Yahtzee, I'm telling you, if you want a REALLY good game on a Nintendo console, you have to play Xenoblade Chronicles.
I would love to see that, because it is way to JRPG for there to be any chance of him liking it, and the insane amount rage that would be generated by a negative review of Xenoblade would probably be enough to tear a hole in reality.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Anoni Mus said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
I was afraid of this. Why did I let my curiosity get the better of me and break my "no Nintendo related reviews" policy w/ Yahtzee and watch this simply because it's one of the best games Nintendo released this year. Okay I'm gonna do this commetary style and go over every single problem I find with Yahtzee's shallow bullcrap. But just prove I'm not heartless, I'll list his good points as well.

Problems:

problem 1. Stop judging the 3DS on the 3D alone. Some of us know the thing is a gimmick but bought it for other reasons. That and Uprising's 3D is actually good.

problem 2. Wow. Way to over-exaggerate the controls there. I rarely get cramps from the game. I have more problems with it being to easy to dash and accidentally falling off narrow platforms, not something as simple as aiming. And I don't even use the stand. Also, you complaining about how you like to lay on a couch and play DS? OK 1, that's your petty problem, not Nintendo's and 2, even I can't do that.

problem 3. So, you're complaining about a game having too much stuff to do now? That's the kind of ungrateful behavior that makes me hate the fighting game community.

problem 4. Visuals too busy to look at? Dude, I don't have the best attention span and even I don't have this problem in all but 3 levels. Perhaps you need too stop drinking all the beer at that pretentious bar of yours.

good point 1. Yeah the dialog is pretty corny at points. But I've heard worse.

good point 2. See now the dashing over the edge thing? That's a legit complaint.

Really not as downright hateful as I thought it would be but still, I love how you claim you aren't biased against Nintendo, just willing to point out the company's flaws even though almost all the time you point out said flaws its nothing more than trivial ***** fitting and/or bullcrap, Yahtzee.
The video isn't working for me, I think I'm glad. It doesn't like it's worth it.

About the dialogue, I always took it lightly, almost satirical, so I didn't mind and found it funny.
Yahtzee is not anti Nintendo, he just hates Kid Icarus, Zelda, Metroid Prime M and Brawl. Just coincidence! Of course not, doesn't matter what he says he's biased whether he believes it or not.
He hates almost everything regardless of publisher. I'll never understand why Nintendo fanboys get so worked up, he does the same thing to Nintendo games that he does to almost every game. Besides it's not like he's unwilling to admit when he is biased, like his hatred for JRPGs.
The problem lies in delivery. With most games, he'll rip them to shreds, but compliment one or two points where things were good. But with pretty much any Nintendo game he's reviewed as of lately, all he does is shit. Maybe if he stayed consistent, he wouldn't come off as biased. I mean, games he's hated with a passion even got the mention of the one or two things that he did find "not shit", but if it's Nintendo, it's nothing but a steaming pile.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
dessertmonkeyjk said:
There's got to be a better way of handling a one stick character movement with a fire button for a 3D rail shooter. Hmm...

Left Stick: Move & Aim
Left Shoulder Button (Ground): Hold to Target Strafe/Tap to recenter camera
Right Shoulder Button: Shoot
A: Jump/Special
Hey, guess what? I just reset my controls to just that. (well, except that I put aiming on ABXY, because putting aim and move on the same thing just doesn't work, since half the game isn't a rail shooter. Also, there is no jump button in this game.)

I still prefer to aim with the touch screen, but whatever floats yer boat.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
CXZ_inc0g said:
I still don't understand what people are going on about when they whine about the controls, though.
Just from my experience, I can stand up straight whilst walking and I can play the game easily. Left thumb on the circley-thingy, left index finger on the trigger, right hand holding the stylus.
How come this is so difficult for everyone?
Because people are lazy and hating Nintendo is cool.
Welcome to the interwebz.
Only thing more immature than hating things because it's cool is thinking anyone who hates things you like is hating it because it's cool.
And you know what the worst part is? The controls can be changed as much as you like to whatever you like. So there is NO excuse to cry about them. It's one thing to say controls are bad, but are adjustable, but it's another thing to cry about them, trow crap all around your self and say the world is doomed like Yahtzee likes to do.
Your exaggeration of what yahtzee said is much greater than the exaggerations he made that you're criticizing. Also, I like how hating anything is "crying" now. Fucking annoying. Your post is much more of a "welcome to the interwebz" than anything else I've seen in this thread

And, games should be expected to work and have decent control schemes before changing them. The defaults should be what people are actually, or normally going to use the majority of the time.
They can go into the menu and change everything in every game, but when it's Nintendo game, they QQ like little brats because they have to do the same thing they did in any other game.
I don't know what planet you live on where most people end up changing the controls for most of their games. I don't remember the last time I had to change controls for anything besides inverted camera, mouse sensitivity, and LoL smartcasting (and I wish riot would make that easier too)
One more thing. If you need 1 minute to explain how you're not against Nintendo, there is something wrong. When I'm accused about something I'm not, I simply ignore those accusations. Especially if it's over the internet.
I don't if those accusations stay around for long enough. Also, him raving at viewers is a pretty big part of his appeal if you ask me.

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
Yahtzee made me laugh a lot this episode, right when he started defending his review I knew he was gonna cause a shit storm in the comments. The only thing I don't get is he hardly talked about anything else besides the controles. Anyways great game, that has awesome music, fun multiplayer, chevos for those that like that type of stuff and an actual story that besides all the cheesy dialoge can get really sad at times, especial one part with them angel wings.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Medusa is literally the LAST person you would want to fap to.

Seriously, think about it.
Come on, man. Just one longing look from those perfect eyes of hers could make anyone rock hard.

Skulltaker101

Jul 20, 2010
Damn, Zero Punctuation is my favourite weekly ritual. Of course, since I do not own a DS, this may make it quite difficult for me to play Kid Icarus at all.

And as for "Go look up if there were angels in Greek mythology"...yes, yes there were. There were servants of Athena called Furies from whom the Christian church nicked the image...winged bright beings, but in the case of the Furies, they were more vengeful and murderous than they were anything else.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Skulltaker101 said:
Damn, Zero Punctuation is my favourite weekly ritual. Of course, since I do not own a DS, this may make it quite difficult for me to play Kid Icarus at all.

And as for "Go look up if there were angels in Greek mythology"...yes, yes there were. There were servants of Athena called Furies from whom the Christian church nicked the image...winged bright beings, but in the case of the Furies, they were more vengeful and murderous than they were anything else.
...Really?

Holy-

Pit's patron deity, Palutena, is an Athena analogue!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
CM156 said:
Iampringles said:
I would have thought the protagonist would have been called Icarus, given the title of the game...

Anyhows: If I do purchase a 3DS in the future, I doubt this will be one of the games I get
I truly hope your conclusion wasn't based on Yahtzee's "review" at all, because a lot of his rant was just uselessly bitching about a piece of plastic that nobody uses.

Then again, why give a legitimate review when you can nitpick and stretch tiny ass facts so they can pad the length of your video? I'd sure love a job where I can basically rant and lie through my teeth, yet remain inexplicably popular despite it.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
CM156 said:
Iampringles said:

Anyhows: If I do purchase a 3DS in the future, I doubt this will be one of the games I get
I truly hope your conclusion wasn't based on Yahtzee's "review" at all, because a lot of his rant was just uselessly bitching about a piece of plastic that nobody uses.

Then again, why give a legitimate review when you can nitpick and stretch tiny ass facts so they can pad the length of your video? I'd sure love a job where I can basically rant and lie through my teeth, yet remain inexplicably popular despite it.
It wasn't. I actually played it on a friend's 3DS

Annnnnd I didn't enjoy it. At all. So that's why.