Zero Punctuation: Kid Icarus: Uprising

NEHZ

Feb 24, 2010
About the 3D: it really matters in this game. Especially in the air levels it allows you to see how far the enemies are regardless of any misleading shape or size. If you have trouble playing the game because 'the effects are distracting' it's really more likely because you aren't playing it in 3D. (which means this game is more difficult if you can't see 3D)

I liked the control scheme. Using tapping for shooting would have been a disadvantage because you'd have to take your stylus off which will make you less accurate.
But I have to agree with the dodging of the ledge. I don't think there's anyone who hasn't encountered that problem.

I'm enjoying this game a lot, but the ZP was fun regardless. (as it useally is when I can't agree with it)

Spenstar

Jul 23, 2011
You guys DO know that writing off everyone you disagree with as a "fanboy" and assuming that fanboys are incapable of logic is fallacious in and of itself, right? There are going to be people who enjoyed this game and people who didn't. For me, this is my favorite game of this year thus far and is the definitive 3DS title up to this point. Again, that's just me. Someone who enjoyed the game as much as I did might not grasp why others didn't like it, and vice-versa, so there are arguments. But the cries of "fanboy!" and other ad hominem attacks just aren't cool.

Also, of those that enjoyed the game or even played it in general, many would dislike Yahtzee's video for being structured to say only negative things about the game by ignoring or just barely mentioning its best points. It frustrates me so when he reviews a game I played and what he describes does not represent the game as a whole. So that's why the "fanboys" are crying foul. Just giving some perspective.

Reid Humphreys

Mar 16, 2012
Am I the only one who seriously didn't mind the controls and absolutely loved the game? I didn't need the stupid stand and pretty much played it anywhere I went.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Yahtzee makes me want to buy this game just to understand this function of the celestial tittie bar.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Granted, I haven't gotten the game, but the way people describe it doesn't make it sound bad to me. I had to hold the left analog, the left shoulder button, and use my right thumb for the other buttons for both Mario Kart and Zelda OoT for the 3ds and never had a problem. (Granted, if I had to press the touch screen while fighting with any quickness in Zelda it was a right ass to do. And I always used my thumbs, not the stylus.)

I'm kind of crushed by this review because I really wanted to get this game to help validate my 3DS' existence. I only have 3 games thusfar, and I've beaten all of them. :|

On the other hand, I haven't tried No More Heroes yet, soo....

Guilherme Zoldan

Jun 20, 2011
DJ_DEnM said:
Yahtzee makes me want to buy this game just to understand this function of the celestial tittie bar.
Im kinda suprised nintendo let that through...I mean they are japanese but theyre usualy very kid-friendly even for western standards.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
mike1921 said:
If you disagree and say anything about it you're a fanboy? What sort of logic is that?
It's Yahtzee's logic.
He's done the same thing before with his Smash Bros Mailbag video.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
The Nintendo fanboys en mass here, I see. You can always pick them out--they're the ones fighting tooth and nail to justify obviously broken mechanics, as if not doing so would cause their deity to commit suicide. Would admitting something is dumb be all that hard? Come now.

"Controls do suck, yeah. You can change them, but it's a shame you even have to. I still really enjoyed the game on a whole." - Not a fanboy/girl

"The controls are fine. You're just bad. Why not go into the menu and set them all yourself? Game is awesome." Fanboy.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Spenstar said:
Also, of those that enjoyed the game or even played it in general, many would dislike Yahtzee's video for being structured to say only negative things about the game by ignoring or just barely mentioning its best points.
Let me remind you of something:

[HEADING=1]He's a critic; It's his job to be critical and to critique video games.[/HEADING]

No once has he ever said he is offering a balanced opinion. You know why? He's offering his opinion and his opinions is that the game is shit. This isn't a news report and he doesn't care that some people like it.

I happen to think eating poo is bad. Some people think it is the sexiest thing on Earth. If I were to make a video critique of eating poo, I would say bad things about it. Why? Because I don't fucking like it.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
RJ Dalton said:
It really blows my mind that game companies make such damn obvious mistakes with controls. It really does. How could anyone design such a set-up and then get through playtesting with it and nobody realizes its obvious problems?
I imagine it went something like this:

Head of Testing: "How did it go?"

Tester 1: "Well, the controls are horrible and playing the game anywhere without a flat surface and standing still was actually painful."

Tester 2: "I agree. My hand cramped up so bad I couldn't physically play it for more than about thirty minutes at a time."

Head of Testing: "You don't say..."

Tester 1: "Yeah. I think if we were to make-"

Head of Testing: "A large stand that sits on a table, freeing up both hands to use the controls! Brilliant idea!" *runs out of room*

Tester 1: "... some minor changes to the controls..."

Tester 2: "I hate this place."

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
DanHibiki said:
SatansBestBuddy said:
Surprised he didn't complain about the alien invasion. Seriously, who nitpicks deviations from Greek mythology when a game decides to have an alien invasion in the middle of their interpretation of Greek mythology?
that part is historically accurate... or rather accurate according to the history channel.
I'm not saying aliens invaded ancient Greece, but...

fenrirvii

Dec 16, 2009
ok first of all, it's really hard to make the argument that the controls are so bad when we already SAW the same type of controls being used in Metroid Prime: Hunters and the Zelda games on the DS... It's the SAME HAND POSITION! Why KI:U is the first game to really get bashed for these controls makes no sense.
The controls are slightly different because it's a 3rd person shooter, so you swipe the touch screen to rotate the camera, but the swiping mechanics have the best customization options in the game..

Maybe the game is getting all the control heat by including the stand with the game? I see a lot of people saying "Nintendo is saying I HAVE to use the stand...", including Yahtzee... This is simply not true. The stand ONLY serves to help you see the 3D, if you wish, while playing. Personally, I played the game in 2D, and never used the stand, and I was fine with it. And I kind of appreciated the free stand that makes watching Netflix or drawing anything exponentially easier.

For all the people on the fence, the controls are fine. You get used to them in ~10 minutes and have a seriously enjoyable game

SEXTON HALE

Apr 12, 2012
You're back! This one was just like you're older ones.
Cruel and hilarious in equal amounts.
Very good review!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
[HEADING=1]He's a critic; It's his job to be critical and to critique video games.[/HEADING]
*chuckles*
Which is why he immediately begins with an ad-hominem against the game's audience, and not just the game itself. "A shitty game for twats".

Let me break this shit down for you:

+Simply disagreeing with his opinion? "Not fanboyism."
It's perfectly rational to give reasons why as long as you aren't acting like a tool. (see next point)

+Getting pissed off just because someone doesn't like a game that you do?
Insecure and childish. "Fanboy."

+When the critic tells you that you're inferior/stupid/etc solely because you like something they don't?
That isn't a review, it's just trolling.

Spenstar

Jul 23, 2011
Grey Day for Elcia said:
The Nintendo fanboys en mass here, I see. You can always pick them out--they're the ones fighting tooth and nail to justify obviously broken mechanics, as if not doing so would cause their deity to commit suicide. Would admitting something is dumb be all that hard? Come now.

"Controls do suck, yeah. You can change them, but it's a shame you even have to. I still really enjoyed the game on a whole." - Not a fanboy/girl

"The controls are fine. You're just bad. Why not go into the menu and set them all yourself? Game is awesome." Fanboy.
So saying the controls are fine makes you a fanboy?

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
*chuckles*
Which is why he immediately begins with an ad-hominem against the game's audience, and not just the game itself. "A shitty game for twats".

Let me break this shit down for you:

+Simply disagreeing with his opinion? "Not fanboyism."
It's perfectly rational to give reasons why as long as you aren't acting like a tool. (see next point)

+Getting pissed off just because someone doesn't like a game that you do?
Insecure and childish. "Fanboy."

+When the critic tells you that you're inferior/stupid/etc solely because you like something they don't?
That isn't a review, it's just trolling.
You're failing to acknowledge that it's also trying to be funny by being mean

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Grey Day for Elcia said:
RJ Dalton said:
It really blows my mind that game companies make such damn obvious mistakes with controls. It really does. How could anyone design such a set-up and then get through playtesting with it and nobody realizes its obvious problems?
I imagine it went something like this:

Head of Testing: "How did it go?"

Tester 1: "Well, the controls are horrible and playing the game anywhere without a flat surface and standing still was actually painful."

Tester 2: "I agree. My hand cramped up so bad I couldn't physically play it for more than about thirty minutes at a time."

Head of Testing: "You don't say..."

Tester 1: "Yeah. I think if we were to make-"

Head of Testing: "A large stand that sits on a table, freeing up both hands to use the controls! Brilliant idea!" *runs out of room*

Tester 1: "... some minor changes to the controls..."

Tester 2: "I hate this place."
I'd like to know: how have your experiences with the controls been?

I really am fascinated, because I have no idea how someone could hold the system such that their hand actually cramps up. Especially after only thirty minutes.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
mike1921 said:
And you're failing to acknowledge how this is directly counter-productive to being a game critic; which was the original argument you're trying to defend.

I already know that Yahtzee isn't really a game critic in practice anymore; he's more like the host of a celebrity roast.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
mike1921 said:
And you're failing to acknowledge how this is directly counter-productive to being a game critic; which was the original argument you're trying to defend.

I already know that Yahtzee isn't really a game critic in practice anymore; he's more like the host of a celebrity roast.
Than how about you explain it because I see no reason they would be mutually exclusive