Zero Punctuation: Killzone: Shadow Fall

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Rayansaki said:
BX3 said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't PS3 emulation for the PS4, like, impossible (or at least really really hard) because of architectural reasons?

Not relieving Sony from blame or anything - creating a console with insides that are relatively bonkers probably wasn't the best choice - But it's not really something they can help now, and PSNow seems like a reasonable enough alternative.

On the other hand, I don't think the bone has that much of an excuse.
-------------------

Capcha: Brand Lift. Oh, fuck you, solve media. I'm not being biased, I'm being observational.
It's pretty much impossible, but they could pretty easily have backwards compatibility by simply having the Cell as a secondary processor, but that would've made the console more expensive.

Then again how much more expensive would it be really? They could've even made 2 different versions of the console, one cheaper without BC and one more expensive with.
But the PS3 didn't have "a Cell", but 8 parallel cell processors. In order for games to work natively, they would have to include the entire board.

It was different with the PS2/PS3 compatibility, where the required component was a 40$ worth chip.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Griffolion said:
Just a quick question about the whole not liking the current console generation due to lack of backwards compatibility thing. Were people really prepared to pay the likely $600 - $800 for one that did have native backwards compatibility?
I would've been more likely to. I have to sacrifice a lot of surface area to keep both my PS3 and my PS4 (Which was a gift), and when I want to play one or the other, I have to dig the HDMI cable out of one and plug it into the other because my monitor has only one HDMI port. Call it first world problems if you want, but it would've been damn convenient to just have one device.
Maybe you should consider one of these:

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Yossarian1507 said:
Wow... Actually a pretty positive review (by Yahtzee's standard anyway). I have Killzone: Shadow Fall, because it comes with pretty much every unit of PS4, but I haven't play it yet, thanks to timesinks like AC IV or NBA 2k14, as well as couple of interesting titles on PC/older consoles, but now I might just give it a try...
BUT THAT DOESN'T JUSTIFY FORCING US TO BUY A CLUNKY NEW CONSOLE WITH NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY.

Oh god I'm going to use this phrase to annoy everyone from now on.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Hutzpah Chicken said:
What happened to Spunk-gargle-wee-wee? It's a very good phrase to sum up things.
Now that you mention it, I'm surprised that didn't come up here too.

Also that "regulation amount of fun" joke is starting to disturb me. It seems every AAA game can only have a maximum amount of fun before it has to start sucking. It's becoming more and more true with every release.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Griffolion said:
Just a quick question about the whole not liking the current console generation due to lack of backwards compatibility thing. Were people really prepared to pay the likely $600 - $800 for one that did have native backwards compatibility?
I did for the PS3 but I realize I'm far from a representation of the majority of console consumers.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Why would they add BC when they can make money by charging you for those old games instead. :) Its good business sense really.

Still no game worth buying a new console for, though i am excited for E3 to see what MS and Sony have planned game wise.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Mcoffey said:
hermes200 said:
Mcoffey said:
Griffolion said:
I would've been more likely to. I have to sacrifice a lot of surface area to keep both my PS3 and my PS4 (Which was a gift), and when I want to play one or the other, I have to dig the HDMI cable out of one and plug it into the other because my monitor has only one HDMI port. Call it first world problems if you want, but it would've been damn convenient to just have one device.
Maybe you should consider one of these:
Did not know they made those. Awesome! What would you call that? An HDMI Splitter?
HDMI Splitter or HDMI Switcher...

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Why Mr. Croshaw! Intentional or not, I'm flattered that you would use Atlanta's skyline to illustrate this game's skyboxes!

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Well, I remember that Supreme Commander 2 basically started out in peace times, but had trouble brewing and the game was largely about preventing full-out war (except when you play as the Aeon dipshits). So, sure, there could have been a peaceful ending to this title. Not that I want to imply Supreme Commander 2 is a good role model for games... really not. I only mean this one point.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Depite all those disclaimers I can't help but think Yahtzee liked the game.
That's how it sounded to me. It must be how not like CoD it is, and how easy it is to make jokes out of the nonsensical decisions of both the Vektans and Helghast.

capthca: my beating heart
well, if mine wasn't beating, then I'd have a problem.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm just wondering, but am I the only person who think that the Helghast are actually bad guys? Okay, yes, they got the short end of the stick. No, that wasn't fair that the ISA pulled such a dick move. Germany also got the short end of the stick at the end of World War I, yet I don't see anyone going around saying that the Nazis had good reasons to do what they did.
The Helghast invaded a colony world and started killing without remorse. Military and civilians. So of course Vekta and Earth are going to respond. Then, it's revealed that the Helghast are building a literal planet-killing weapon which they fully intend to use on Earth. A weapon that will kill EVERYONE on the planet, or at least the overwhelming majority of people. And if I remember right, the 'good guys' at the end of three didn't deliberately set off the weapon. They were trying to prevent it from going off (you know, trying to save all the people back on Earth) and then, in the ensuing gun fight, stuff blew up. They didn't go and push the button and laugh, and I seem to recall they were horrified at what had just happened. Or am I remembering the end of Killzone 3 wrong?
I'm not saying that the good guys are not at fault, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person that thinks the Helghast are getting too much of a free pass because of what happened to them over a hundred years ago. I mean, one of the first scenes from Shadowfall shows a Helghan soldier walking up and shooting a wounded woman in the head in cold blood, then executing the man who was trying to help her. These aren't exactly Nobel Peace Prize winners here.

hotdogoctopus

Jun 16, 2009
Killzone: Shadow Fall was going to be the first game we played on our let's play channel. Sadly HDCP. So I played it all the way until about half-way through the last mission and she I stopped to take a break I couldn't start again. I had found the game played out all of my 'give a shit'.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
I thought the ending to Killzone Shadow Fall was rather surprising, yes the main character and the Helghast lady was kinda bland, but I think the ending made up for it

[Spoilers abound]
The player character, a really bland space marine like most killzone protagonists, reach the main villain, and is so close to ending the war before it has really begun. But, just as he's about to take the villain into custody the villain gets executed, and you get shot as well, dropping to the ground. You then see your mentor and surrogate father appear, deciding to use the situation to start a war and wipe out the helghast once and for all, his hatred so great he doesn't hesitate to execute the person he viewed as a son

The player character is then dead, but the game doesn't end there, you then end the game as Echo, real name is Maya Visari, granddaughter of Scolar Visari, the man who started the original war. You then end the game by assassinating the man who killed the player character, avenging the man who tried to prevent the war at all cost, but by avenging him kickstarting the war.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Griffolion said:
I sure wasn't. Even if they offered a BC PS4, I'd have bought the non BC one and just kept my PS3. Like I already did.

BC is nice to go on about a the start of a new generation, but once it gets going and the library for actual games on that new console gets going, nobody tends to care anymore. I think Nintendo did it right with the Wii, actually. Have it for a while and then as time goes on and nobody cares anymore (and any new purchasers are finally diving in for the library of Wii games, not to play GameCube games), drop it to cut costs.

Hutzpah Chicken said:
What happened to Spunk-gargle-wee-wee? It's a very good phrase to sum up things.
What happened to a derogatory phrase used to describe "realistic" modern military shooters? It probably stayed home today because Killzone is neither "realistic" or modern.

Sniper Team 4 said:
I'm just wondering, but am I the only person who think that the Helghast are actually bad guys? Okay, yes, they got the short end of the stick. No, that wasn't fair that the ISA pulled such a dick move. Germany also got the short end of the stick at the end of World War I, yet I don't see anyone going around saying that the Nazis had good reasons to do what they did.
No you are not the only person who thinks the Helghast are actually the bad guys. They are the bad guys and anyone who tries to deny it needs help. Yes, their anger and their desire to get Vekta back is warranted, but the way they go about it makes them evil. Killing innocent civilians of both races (fuck, in Killzone 2 Radec kills one of his own soldiers for a dress code violation). Stealing nuclear weapons and using them on their own civilians. Trying to blow up Earth with future sci-fi nukes.

And the ISA didn't even pull that dick move. The ISA's orders to Sev and his group were to surrender to the Helghast. Obviously a bad move considering what the Helghast would have done, but those were their orders nonetheless. And yes, Sev never intentionally nuked Helghan, he was trying to stop Stahl from blowing up Earth and when the ship full of nukes crashed, it set off a chain reaction with the raw materials still in the planet and BOOM.

The ISA certainly aren't white knight 100% good all the time good guys (especially in Shadow Fall, where they changed their name to VSA for some reason that was never explained). But the Helghast are most assuredly 100% the bad guys with absolutely no gray areas at all. Or at least the Helghast military is. They are evil sons of bitches.

SNCommand said:
I thought the ending to Killzone Shadow Fall was rather surprising, yes the main character and the Helghast lady was kinda bland, but I think the ending made up for it

[Spoilers abound]
The player character, a really bland space marine like most killzone protagonists, reach the main villain, and is so close to ending the war before it has really begun. But, just as he's about to take the villain into custody the villain gets executed, and you get shot as well, dropping to the ground. You then see your mentor and surrogate father appear, deciding to use the situation to start a war and wipe out the helghast once and for all, his hatred so great he doesn't hesitate to execute the person he viewed as a son

The player character is then dead, but the game doesn't end there, you then end the game as Echo, real name is Maya Visari, granddaughter of Scolar Visari, the man who started the original war. You then end the game by assassinating the man who killed the player character, avenging the man who tried to prevent the war at all cost, but by avenging him kickstarting the war.
Actually, that's why I found the ending to be absolutely shit. "I raised you like a son. But I'm racist as hell and since you don't agree with me that we should kill a whole shitload of innocent civilians, fuck you, you die."

Terrible, terrible, terrible writing.

At least the multiplayer is good and helps make up for it.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
mjc0961 said:
The ISA certainly aren't white knight 100% good all the time good guys (especially in Shadow Fall, where they changed their name to VSA for some reason that was never explained). But the Helghast are most assuredly 100% the bad guys with absolutely no gray areas at all. Or at least the Helghast military is. They are evil sons of bitches.
The VSA and ISA are two different organizations that coexist, ISA stands for Interplanetary Strategic Alliance and represents the interests of Earth and its colonies, the VSA on the other hand stand for Vektan Security Agency and exists to protect Vekta solely through secret operatives

Also agree with the Helghast being villains, they're sympathetic villains, but they're still far more evil than the side they fight against, at least as of now, Admiral Grey in Mercenary and Sinclair in Shadow Fall probably hints to a far more gray vs grey conflict in future installments

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
mjc0961 said:
Actually, that's why I found the ending to be absolutely shit. "I raised you like a son. But I'm racist as hell and since you don't agree with me that we should kill a whole shitload of innocent civilians, fuck you, you die."

Terrible, terrible, terrible writing.

At least the multiplayer is good and helps make up for it.
Well I saw no problem with that, if he can justify starting a war for the greater good I see no problem in him justifying to himself to kill a surrogate son

The man was clearly paranoid, and I think it was interesting to see how far he could go to achieve his goals, it's also clear that by disobeying his orders and following Echo, Sinclair begins to view you as a traitor and a threat, thus losing the little affection he likely had