Zero Punctuation: Left 4 Dead 2 & New Super Mario Bros Wii

jackelbeaver

Oct 17, 2009
Yahtzee your claims of lacking innovation don't really seem to hold water in this case. They're incredibly vague and you don't really explain yourself all that well. It's like you're writing an open invitation for people to jump to thier own conclusions and assert what they think you mean. What exactly IS it that these two games DON'T do that you felt would have significantly improved the experience?

Having played through both games a few times (in single and multi-player) I see innovative gameplay design all over the place, doing things that you couldn't really do with games of the past due to hardware limitations (memory restrictions, rotations, zooming) while presenting a sense of level design, enemy design, and straightforwardness that more than makes up for the sloppiness of most Mario games since the leap to GameCube.

What L4D2 does are both technical (redoing the engine to handle things the original couldn't) as well as design (killing corner camping, effectively injecting fear back into the game) and creating several memorable situations that give the gamer something to come back to that the one-trick pony L4D1 didn't do. Most importantly what these two games did was they made me realize is just how meaningless a large part of the "innovation" of the last 20 years hasn't really mattered much.

What these two games do is present a gaming experience that is an actual "game" and not a wannabe-director trying to cram his screenplay in between gameplay segments. When did every game have to be Metal Gear Fantasy Theft Halo 4? So many games nowadays are just pileups of previous ideas "but with this" thrown ontop of the pile. It's suffocating.

Stories are becoming longer and more the driving force of the "game experience", casting aside their old role as the framing device for an experience that you'll want to come back to. When did games become a "Multimedia Experience", and a more important question is, "Why?"

So many games nowadays are more and more becoming a massive grind, and not just in the World of Warcraft RPG-Quest mechanic sense, but in the sense that you're really only playing to see the next cutscenes. What's happening more and more is games having nothing left beyond that final cutscene to make you want to come back to, games that have no more value to them than a $15 trade-in at GameStop after the credits role.

This isn't why I got into games. I didn't put a quarter in the Donkey Kong machine because I thought it was cool that a monkey jumped ontop of a building, I saw barrels rolling down rafters and wanted to see if i could make it past them and save the little fat man's girlfriend.

When did game design start to matter less than the story? Why do games feel the need to cram a season 1 DVD box set of a tv series that never existed in between a series of scripted gameplay sequences and a badly written novel? When did a game's worth start being decided by how long the first run through takes rather than the staying power of a repeatable experience? Why are largely non-interactive, heavily scripted experiences being so celebrated over the ability to take a game mechanic and twist it into as many fun ways as they can? What Left 4 Dead 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii do best I think is present a 'game' in it's purest sense. There are no pretensions of trying to be something that it isn't. The only thing that I can say they really do WRONG is having ridiculous titles that are dumb to type.

Also of note, in my circle of pals it was actually Luigi that we kicked to the curb in favor of the Super Toad Bros and their pal Mario.

Hallo457

Aug 21, 2009
If we are talking Bowser as in Super Mario 64 Bowser, then the tank would dominate. He could punch Bowser right across the arena into each and every one of the bombs, or just hit him in the head with a piece of concrete. Actually, that goes for any Bowser. Tank wins.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
twm1709 said:
Even WoW expansions add more content than this.
Get out troll.

On another note, while not having played New Super Mario Bros I don't care what anyone says about l4d2 anymore, especially seeing as they tend to say it should just be an expansion, when most expansions these days are costing just as much as actual fucking games. Also too soon? Really? So it's ok for sports games to pump out sequals and it's ok for IW to release a new COD(but uhmygawd it was a sequel to COD 4 not WAW) within a year, but damn Valve to hell when they release a game that is fucking bigger then the one before it.

L4D2 does what a sequel does,adds new content without changing the overall feel too much. Can people tell me how Halo 3 isn't an expansion to Halo 2?I mean it's got new characters,new weapons, new enemies,new maps, different plot,same story, same as l4d2.

Get over it people, what constitutes whether a game is a fucking expansion or not is ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE, not fucking fact. You can't say, it r fact x game is better then y game. And you can't say it r fact x game is an expansion and not a sequel.

PS. If anyone still thinks certain sequels should be expansions, tell me a sequel you think isn't an expansion and ill use faulty logic to prove it r an expansion.

Edit:Also neither tank Nor Bowser would survive, Bowser would fire one molecule of fire on the tank, and in the next 90 seconds the tank will have beaten,pummeled,eaten and shat out bowser before dieing himself. This is unless of course:There's water nearby in which tank would win, there's enough obstacles and ledges that the tank can't catch up to Bowser in time.

jackelbeaver said:
That was the most beautiful thing I have ever read

Mr.Lucifer said:
Just a sequel doesn't do much new doesn't it isn't good.
Wat

Lou

Mar 19, 2009
My thoughts exactly! Where the heck is Half Life 2 Episode 3? It's been several years since Episode 2!

Darkflamex

Jan 3, 2008
I disagree that New Super Mario Smash Brothers has no reason to exist.

I agree that 4 player co-op is a useless gimmick and therefore i don't play with anymore then 2 but it's definitely an awesome game, yes it would of been nice to have something new but who cares when the game play is so good?

I watched a video on youtube the other day about top 10 games that need to be recreated and released again and Mario 3 was on the list, so yes there was a demand for the game to be created.

I'm from the old school gaming crowd and was banging out Mario 3 back when i was 7, and compared to most games these days which are all the fucking same, New Mario Smash Brothers is a more than welcome game to my collection (and just for peoples information the game is just as hard and just as long as its predecessors! :p).

Deadpool062

Jul 9, 2008
Yahtzee, i found the changing between games a little distracting. I think it was about 3 minutes into the video and I found I couldn't remember anything that had happened in the video... Any particular reason you did a twosome?(hehe)saving up for something special next week perhaps?

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
haha HL3 tells valve "daddy i'm hungry" classic.

seriously tho when is it coming out? waiting on this game is like giving a drug dealer your money and then waiting for them to produce the drugs. sure they might give you some herbal LFD2 to tide you over but what you really want is your heroin, your delicious, scrumptious half-life heroin. c'mon valve i've hurtin real bad and you got the goods.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
slowpoke999 said:
jackelbeaver said:
Agreed. I'd also like to point out that, given the inclusion of Yoshi and a few other things (like the checkpoint that will give you a free mushroom if you're still in small mode), NSMB Wii is more of a combined remake of Super Mario World and Super Mario 3, with the addition of simultaneous co-op, and really that part is the big qualifier here seeing as how neither SMW or SM3 had that.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
This is a no brainer.

Bowser breathes fire and throws fireballs. The Tank dies after thirty seconds of touching a flame.

Bowser is invulnerable when tucked inside his shell, and he can stay in as long as he wants. King Koopa wins.

jackelbeaver

Oct 17, 2009
AceDiamond said:
slowpoke999 said:
jackelbeaver said:
Agreed. I'd also like to point out that, given the inclusion of Yoshi and a few other things (like the checkpoint that will give you a free mushroom if you're still in small mode), NSMB Wii is more of a combined remake of Super Mario World and Super Mario 3, with the addition of simultaneous co-op, and really that part is the big qualifier here seeing as how neither SMW or SM3 had that.
Adding onto this sentiment, it also has several aspects of yoshi's island and SMB2 in there as well. I'd go as far as to say that if YI is SMB5, NSMBWii is SMB6.

The Youth Counselor said:
jackelbeaver said:
slowpoke999 said:
jackelbeaver said:
thanks bro!
Welcome to our world, beware of trolls.
sure thing bro!

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
The usual excellent murdering of games I really have no intention of playing...lets me feel smugly superior!

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
Awesome as usual. Can't wait for the next video responce to all the hate mail Yahtzee's gonna get for bashing the new Mario game.... The one from SSBB is still hilarious after 5 times I've watched it.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
Enough of the bitching over Episode 3.

If ValVe kicks it out,then will they shut up?

The first 2 episodes weren't that "OMG!!AW3SOM33!!!" so whats the BFD about them?

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
I knew he was gonna do a 2 part review,i just didn't know it would include new super Mario bros, i thought it would be l4d2 and borderlands,seeing as that's also a 4 player co-op game. I don't think he'll review Borderlands, it's been what a month now since that games come out?There's really no point