Zero Punctuation: Left 4 Dead

Chrisos

May 21, 2008
DrMisanthrope said:
yahtzee is a fucking retard
Hurrah for the trolls. Yawn. Learn some erudition young chap!

I loved the comment about playing as a minor zombie while you wait, with the survival expectations of a gerbil (or was it hamster) in a speed ball full of broken glass. It certainly made me giggle anyway. :)

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
Fantastic Review haven't played L4D yet but i plan to regardless of this review But still Funny stuff as usual keep it up yatzee.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
^doh of course they are. On the other hand yahtzee, you forgot to mention the portal esque humor on the walls. Making fun of doctor's handwritings. Chicago ted etc =P

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I get the feeling I would feel more at home in the zombie apocalypse. You may get your face eating my ravaging monsters but hey, at least I wouldn't have to socialize with them.

Great review by the way Yahtzee. It is kind of a bummer when you review a game with very little down points. You should really give GoW2 a try.

EDIT: What the hell! I changed my avatar yesterday!

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
it's lovely to see ZP actually (and shamelessly) enjoying something - seriously, it was like a DREAM COME TRUE to see you ripping into Mirror's Edge in the last ZP, but this week you were Left4Dead's gaming *****. And if the jaded gaming public ever tires of headshots (unlikely) there's always PS3'S downloadable FLOWER [http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2008/12/ps3-flower-thatgamecompany.html] to while away the drug-slowed hours.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
DanRSL said:
I'd agree with one of the last typed jokes, I don't get the whole "Smoker" name either. I mean, yes, I get that they poof into clouds of smoke, but that's obviously kind of an arbitrary distinction that feels kind of tacked on.

they hack and cough like a guy who has been smoking for 20 years, and they look emaciated like an addict. it seems obvious to me. also the cloud of smoke is obvious too. the tongue, not sure how that fits in, but everthing else is there.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Yes, Yahtzee did enjoy L4D.

And when he likes something, it means I like something.

Because we are both pessimistic bastards. Well, at least I am.

And if I like something, this means it's ZOMGWTH good. If you like* same games as I do, which means most of the FPS, MMOs (except for some korean ones), RPGs, RTS games and so on.

* Like - tolerate. Or just "not-hate".

By the way, Yahtzee, you are not the only one who pays ungodly amount of money for games. Come to Poland, I know it's at least twice as expensive here as it is in Spain :/

Angel Emfrbl

Nov 4, 2008
FarleShadow said:
I maintain that L4D is great fun...if your allies aren't stoic morons, using ingame chat is great fun with guys you know, but when they're acouple randomers, the fun numbers take a significiant dive.
My bro got on everyone's nerves who played the demo days by taking control, calling those who didn't do things correctly "morons". Yeah Gosah or whatever your calling yourself these days bro, like 3 perfect strangers are going to listen to YOU.

He never brought the full version in the end...

Guess he got fed up with that he was "Left 4 Dead" too much.

1deano1

Oct 6, 2008
loved the end "apparently i'm a retard..." made me laugh like a hyena! loved the review it was very funny as always! keep it up!

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
Hooray Firefly reference!

On a more serious note (in order to avoid the Ban Hammer) having played the demo I completely agree with Yatzee on this one. The gameplay is repetitive but oddly compelling, especially when you are playing with others.

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
i think for the next one he should review an srpg
namely disgaea 2
of course i'd have to point out a few things

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
I look forward to the day he reviews Duke Nukem Forever, but a valve game that takes years to make is just as good!

snakeys

Aug 8, 2008
Good lord, I thought I was going to die when the black guy's head was replaced with a picture of Obama. Very funny Yahtzee.

I did not play the full game, just the demo, and I can't exactly put my finger on it, but something seems a bit off about the game to me. Part of me thinks it was almost too fast paced. It seems like there are about a million ways potentially to go and no clear direction about where you are in fact supposed to go. I actually found the aiming/shooting controls to be a bit dodgy when considered against the ridiculous speed with which the zombies come after you.

Then again, I loved HL2, which is pretty similar. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I played it longer (that sort of reminds of the ad for the pop radio station in GTAIII, "we'll pick the music you're going to like and then we'll play it until you like it").