Zero Punctuation: Left 4 Dead

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
This was a nice review! Good job, Yahtzee!
I was really looking forwards to this one.
Hot college girl+long tongue!
On a side note, are the admins ban-happy today?

runningfatman

Dec 5, 2008
man i am scared to post cause those guys were banned but what did they get banned for any way?

also this review was funny and i liked the end even though i would be the freind to spaz out under pressure i am sure lol

Worm4Life

May 30, 2008
Major Tom said:
So, US$61.98.

Now, we run it through an international currency converter [http://www.xe.com/ucc/] (going from USD to AUD) and today we AUD$94.16.
Uh, no we don't run it through a converter. You've just proven he could pay as much as us GOD ORDAINED AND ANOINTED AMERICAN CITIZENS. Game over man. The problem is with the Dollarang, or whatever the fuck they call it.

This would be like if I converted my paycheck into AUD and then complained that I just paid 100 bucks for a video game. It is absolute fucking garbage and completely indefensible.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
i find funny how he used a Obama pic smiling for Louis.

It amazes me a bit that he didnt mentioned the tank (like some sort of hulk with enanism for example)

and i think he mentiones that the AI director in fact launchs zombies to attack you.

EDIT: Did anyone noticed that in the list at 3:37 he has reloading in his list?

KiraMermaid

Sep 4, 2008
He didn't seem to utter despise this game, yet wasn't exactly thrilled either. So, it might actually be worth buying.

Zombie games can't really have a story, because, let face it, all zombie plots are now overly clichéd. Either it's a government plot, aliens, nuclear waste/virus, or a government plot using nuclear waste/virus and aliens. The only thing left would be if mother Earth decided that our decaying dead bodies were a toxin, and spat out all our corpses in order to clean herself. Unfortunately, even there, the government would find a use for it, and it would loop right back to a government plot.

Simple fact is that zombie movies and games can't really have an original plot. If you're tired of the repetition, don't play it. If you're just looking for a mindless game (pun intended), then with the rest of the review, it should be worth the purchase.

Unless, you have something better to play that is.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
mda said:
Dommyboy said:
Still seems a bit pointless for me with all the zombie mods and servers for different source games.
IMO Source zombie mods just don't compare to L4D. I have played a few of the HL2 / Source zombie mods available and nothing has come even close to the fun, the teamwork, the atmosphere and the carnage I've experienced in playing Left 4 Dead. Probably sound like just another fanboy but it's really the funnest game I've played in years.
I totally agree.
I started off on CSS zombie mods, moved onto Zombie Panic! Source, and whilst I find them both fun, Left 4 Dead really takes the cake.
I've been trying to do the campaigns on Expert with some friends (the hardest setting), its such a thrill, you really need to work together in order to survive.

madhaha

Oct 29, 2008
I'm actually pretty scared that L4D got a good review given how easy it would be to bash it and Yahtzee's general "I don't do multiplayer" stance. I guess he's ill.

Worm4Life

May 30, 2008
Major Tom said:
Oh, I get what Worm is saying now! Yes, in that context you are correct, he is paying USD$61.98, just like all you other Americans. But my point was for those complaining about paying AUD$100 for Mirrors Edge, importing it isn't going to help, taking into account exchange rates and such, you will still end up paying ~AUD$100 (probably more, definately if you get from anywhere outside of the US) for it.
Now if you're going to tell me the various US publications that employ Yahtzee multiply his paycheck by .65, then he might have a reason to *****, but I somehow doubt that.

I didn't at first realize he meant 100 dollars in crocodile teeth, but even then he's getting the same deal we get here in America, so if 100 bucks AUD = 60 bucks USD why doesn't he just say "paid for this game"? He's either being actively disingenuous or just isn't aware his currency is in the toilet. If the AUD was up then my points about how he should be importing before bitching would be valid.

TheMerricat

Dec 11, 2008
So I've scrolled through the comments and I seem to be the only one OCD enough (or perhaps just slow enough not to get the joke) to point out that Yahtzee used the wrong cover shot for L4D.

The actual cover has a "left" hand on it ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Left4Dead_Windows_cover.jpg ), Yahtzee's is the old pre-release teaser cover with the right hand ( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/07/21/left-4-dead-cover-art-revealed/ ).

So is it I'm just OCD or dense? I.E. am I missing some sort of injoke here?

Either way, thank you for this review. From one of the folks who spaz out over zombies. ^_^