Zero Punctuation: Left 4 Dead

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
A special circle in hell for anyone who does 1337 speak hey!

Anyway great review again.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
About the end comment: Smoker was the chosen name back when the smoker could emit poisonous gas on will, and it stuck until, during the demo, they changed him into the worthless-in-most-scenarios long range infected with the (slight) benefit of making it impossible to see any zombies for about a half second after he dies (along with messing up voice chat, and provided the smoker was, for no apparant reason, in the middle of the survivors or pulling them towards their next objective). So... yeah.

nightowlc

Nov 5, 2008
Good review, although not as venomous as some have been.

I did like his point about nerds talking about zombies WAY TOO MUCH. They're like vampires (another horror theme which has been overdone the last few years) except with no intellect or personality. Maybe people just like all the gory zombie movies . .

AntiThom

Oct 26, 2008
This game is so much fun! I love mowing down the horde with the auto shottie! I hear rumors of more "movies" being released via steam or xbla sometime in the future, and I can't wait! Many, many kudos to Valve on this one :)

Oh and I liked the slick obama reference he put in there. I'll have to think twice now about helping louis when he gets incapped by the tank :p

Mrmandude

Aug 29, 2008
they are making a ps3 version because i have pre ordered it valve have made one but realesed it later than pc and 360

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
I can't believe that no one else mentioned the bit about "pour walnuts over your shoulders and shampoo with BARBEQUE SAUCE!" Hardest I've laughed at a ZP review for a while.

As to the substance of the review, I think he is pretty reasonable in his assessment, althought I would have thought he would've given them more praise for essentially pioneering a required co-op element. I cannot think of another non-team game where you can't either run off from your teammates or kill them, and still have a reasonable chance of solo success. It's a very subtle point, but it's there. Combine that with an element that not only does not reward but actually penalizes the slow, methodical player-- unlike almost every other FPS out there-- I felt L4D was, in fact, very refreshing and innovative. Furthermore, as Yahtzee pointed out, the ability to interact with your friends in a simulated crisis situation (just FYI: make sure you use 'open mike' and not 'push to talk' voice comm), and...

Well, there you go: in a single paragraph, three ways that Left 4 Dead is not only very well executed, but substantially refreshing. More than I can say about most games these days.

Thermal Ions

Nov 16, 2008
While I agree with Yahtzee's assessment of the game, it almost feels like a review of the demo. Doesn't really mention the versus mode in any great detail and the resulting glee that ensues from playing as the infected.

Personally I love the game, but that's probably a measured enjoyment based upon playing with friends more often than with a pug.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Therumancer said:
Speaking of which I couldn't identify the games showing up in the trolly. Well except for RE 4. I just saw some typical androgynous anime guy (I think) on the middle one, and a bunch of colors on the one to the right.

Don't get me wrong, I love JRPGs and the anime art style (unlike Yahtzee) I'm just wondering what they were, and if there was some kind of joke implied there that I'm just not getting.

>>>----Therumancer--->
The DS game is Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
The game on the right is from the SNES era: Super Ghoul 'n Ghosts

mda

Dec 10, 2008
Thermal Ions said:
While I agree with Yahtzee's assessment of the game, it almost feels like a review of the demo. Doesn't really mention the versus mode in any great detail and the resulting glee that ensues from playing as the infected.
I thought he did that pretty well with this:

"You can also opt to play as the special zombies themselves which transforms the game from tense survival horror into hilarious griefing engine. It's nice to see creative thinking rewarded when you successfuly leap on a human player and start pulling his nipples out, and it's also curiously satisfying for me in ways I should probably tell my psychiatrist about."

But yeah there are probably a few more things that could have been said about it.

freebiewitz

Nov 22, 2008
Oh he had said bad things about valve before, when he reviewed the orange box he critisized the see saw puzzle thing

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
To be honest I was both hopeing for and expecting a Prince of Persia(2008) review this week but either way these reviews have always been golden so it doesn't matter what's reviewed.

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
This website is tird. why so many people get banned just for posting on ZP videos, jesus. the videos here rarely work also, I have to use IE over firefox (shudder). Yahtzee should find another place or just make his own site, imo.

about the video, it was funny and I liked it (is that ok with you mr. forum mod?). why does yahtzee talk about geeks as if he isn't one, I know for a fact he writes these reviews in his pirate costume.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
"but then again i spent 100 bucks for mirrors edge so apparently im a retard."

When you said retard that voice was hilarious.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
I think this was a positive review, its hard to tell with yahtzee. But I think he liked this game.