Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

merkaba48

Jan 19, 2009
Amoreyna said:
When you paint something you have to have an idea of what you want. The majority of people create a sketch first and then put a light outline onto their canvas so that they know how everything will lay. You spend hours with the colors, shading, fine lines, tiny details, getting everything just right so that it looks like it took no time at all. Mistakes can be agonizing to correct. The same with sculpting - it takes hours of hands on work. Both of these mediums demand that you practice them and have background knowledge so that you can use them effectively.

But with a program that is set up to design levels already half of the work is already taken out. There is no foundation laying, no building up to what is considered the fun stuff. Players don't have to spend hours getting the code right - it's already done for them. That's what takes away the status of art from something like this. Regardless of how creative you are anyone who sits down can use it and create something functional out of it. Everything is laid out for you that you'll need. Anyone can sit down and with a little bit of fiddling and patience make something realitively impressive.
The process of a designer making a level is very much the same; sketch ideas, block out the level to get its basic functional form, then work on the real content of it. Mistakes in LBP can also be agonising to correct, trust me on this as I have done a lot of work in LBP.

Gameplay mechanics are crafted by the designer, with the exception of things like race start points and ends, score bubbles, and the controls of the player. All the platform layouts, moving objects, choices of visual style, gameplay styles, are done by the designer. In its most basic form, LBP is a physics simulator, and it is up to players to decide how to use it - this is why community levels range from simple platform levels to game tributes (such as Dead Space, Silent Hill, and of course Mario), to abstract artistic endeavours (such as the sillouhette levels), music boxes, and contraptions such as tanks, rollercoasters, and even a functional calculator.

Granted, there is a set selection of materials and stickers to use, though with a PS3 camera you can put in your own images and there will probably be an option to import your own images from the PS3 harddrive in the future, allowing creators to draw their own stickers in an art program and put them in their level. In this manner, one could even argue that LBP is an *evolution* of traditional art, as it can incoroporate user generated images into interactive environments.

Here is the main point. In a nutshell, LBP is a story medium. Users can create their own stories through the use of the game mechanics and artwork, and imported artwork. Using text, visual symbols, and interactivity, a creator can guide a player through a crafted world that may or may not adhere to the game's included mechanics such as scoring, dying, level completion, etc. Yes there are limits, but those limits are surprisingly less limiting as you may think; the only real limitation is the way that a level can be experienced, which is through the avatar of Sackboy. People are more likely to be limited by their imagination before really being limited by the game engine, as evidenced by a huge amount of tribute levels.

merkaba48

Jan 19, 2009
AhhARealMonster said:
MEH.

After the mediocrity of TRU, FC2, and GOW2, I thought Yahtzee was done for. This was a little better, but I hope in the future he goes back to reviewing games that don't suffer from expensive paint-by-numbers development, ending up incredibly dull and soulless but you can't really complain because they're "solid experiences with no real game breaking bugs."
What games can you give as examples of ones which are not 'dull and soulless'?

clubhaus

Sep 18, 2008
It was a good review. The googlie eyes added a nice touch. Hope to see them again in the future.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
If I had a PS3, this wouldn't be my first game to get, not saying its bad, most likely very very good but I'm not sure why its as popular as it is critically per say... maybe I'd have to play it beyond the demo off a borrowed console.

Great review BTW.

AhhARealMonster

Feb 4, 2009
merkaba48 said:
AhhARealMonster said:
MEH.

After the mediocrity of TRU, FC2, and GOW2, I thought Yahtzee was done for. This was a little better, but I hope in the future he goes back to reviewing games that don't suffer from expensive paint-by-numbers development, ending up incredibly dull and soulless but you can't really complain because they're "solid experiences with no real game breaking bugs."
What games can you give as examples of ones which are not 'dull and soulless'?
Please note that if something is not dull that does not mean it's good. Also, if something is not soulless, it does not mean it has a "good" soul. What I meant by 'dull and soulless' was that these games are MEH. Completely MEH. They're the creation of an elaborate and expensive paint-by-numbers design philosophy and feature neither stupid nor innovative design decisions. There is nothing redeemable about them, nor is there anything to really criticize apart from being the definition of average. They are mediocre with a capital M. He might as well review an EA Sports title.

Anyways, I couldn't really give a ton of examples without making this seem like a wishlist, which would, of course, be contradictory to what I'd like to see (in case you forgot, it's Yahtzee reviewing things he wants to review, and not succumbing to wishlists). And by review I mean satire... which is another problem. The videos seem to be turning more and more into reviews a la IGN and GameSpot.

While the other internet nerd critics have evolved (AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, the ScrewAttack cast), Yahtzee seems to be devolving. I hope his best days aren't behind him.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
So, is Yahtzee playing online at all now, or is he still a "single-player only" type guy?

I mean, I assume he can afford a decent internet connection.

Great review, by the way.
The notion of Stephen Fry getting all up in my cochlea is so very appealing...as are young filipino boys.

What, what was I saying again?

Jan 3, 2009
FUCK I forgot user generated content!

That one actually made me laugh out loud.

I was waiting for this to happen, and it gaves me the lolz that I needed.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...My eyes took several seconds to realize what exactly it was that I was seeing there...
The entire Critisism-review was killed by the utter retardation in the middle...
I mean...not that it was bad, I quite frankly fell over laughing when the music and image combo collided to create somthing truly appaulling dancing on my screen. But here...have some snow, UK's got lots've it right now. Because now I'm quite frightened.

LBP was okay, It filled a weekend for me, and I had fun. But again, nothing that caused an ephiphany and compelled me to draw obsessive fanart over it.

JuniorJr

Jan 5, 2009
I guess that was a side of Yahtzee we've never seen before. In fact I don't think anyones seen that side of him before. Creepy :(

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I think I figured out a simple irc-script-like equation for how people respond to Zero Punctuation.

$game == topic of this episode's Zero Punctuation
$obligatoryuniqueevent == Whatever Yahtzee does this episode that hasn't been done before. (See boxers with googly eyes)
$feelings == 0 for hate the game, 1 for love the game)
$historicalreference == Name of an old 'legendary game'

if($feelings==1){
post "Yahtzee has finally lost it. He used to be funny but this nonsensical bullshit obviously proves his ship has sailed. There has not been a game as good as "+$game+" since "+$historicalreference+". I hope Yahtzee has another job that'll tide him over because this shit won't get him anywhere anymore.
}else if{$feelings==0){
post "Oh man! That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I can't believe everyone is so gungho about how utterly amazing "+$game+" is?! I mean it's ok but you pretty much hit all the weak points of the stupid thing. Likewise your "+$obligatoryuniqueevent+" was hilarious, man I couldn't stop laughing I'm serious.

Keep it up man. You are amazing.
}

If you look back it appears 8 out of the 10+ pages on here are using this simple script.

Oct 16, 2008
Treblaine said:
LBP Metacritic score = 95%

The world Fails.

Yahtzee Wins.

No sarcasm.

Seriously, LBP blows yet all the critics jumped on the fail wagon to praise it but at least some REAL FUCKING CRITICS had the right idea, like Yahtzee.

The tragedy is that Killzone 2 which is probably a game deserving its hype is getting a lower score. What the fuck is going to happen next? HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD!!!
Yahtzee hated the game? Your opinion is more valid then educated professionals? You're calling Yahtzee a 'real' critic?

This is so wrong on so many levels.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Cinder Block of Oppression said:
Treblaine said:

The world Fails.

Yahtzee Wins.

No sarcasm.

Seriously, LBP blows yet all the critics jumped on the fail wagon to praise it but at least some REAL FUCKING CRITICS had the right idea, like Yahtzee.

The tragedy is that Killzone 2 which is probably a game deserving its hype is getting a lower score. What the fuck is going to happen next? HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD!!!
Yahtzee hated the game? Your opinion is more valid then educated professionals? You're calling Yahtzee a 'real' critic?

Well his review was hardly glowing, I'm sorry he doesn't give a score for people who are too thick to understand sentences containing more than 5 syllables but you are a real idiot to say he gave this his seal of approval.

OK, now don't interpret this the wrong way - but - you can go f**k yourself if you think I am going to value MY OWN opinion less than that of a bunch of journalists who follow public opinion like a freaking flock of sheep. I don't need other people to tell me what I like, that is what I have my own individuality for.

These same "educated professionals" as you call mainstream critics gave Halo 2 as high a score as LBP?

Yahtzee has always been on the money as he is not afraid to say what he thinks no matter how offensive or out of lock step it is with everyone else.

Without the media blitz from Sony then no one would have given a flying crap about LPB and it would have come in at about 70-80 something. I mean if you have to depend on a committee of people to defend your game rather than any gameplay features then you have a serious problem with your game. Only a fool follows the crowd.

Oct 16, 2008
Treblaine said:
Treblaine said:

The world Fails.

Yahtzee Wins.

No sarcasm.

Well his review was hardly glowing, I'm sorry he doesn't give a score for people who are too thick to understand sentences containing more than 5 syllables but you are a real idiot to say he gave this his seal of approval.

OK, now don't interpret this the wrong way - but - you can go f**k yourself if you think I am going to value MY OWN opinion less than that of a bunch of journalists who follow public opinion like a freaking flock of sheep. I don't need other people to tell me what I like, that is what I have my own individuality for.

These same "educated professionals" as you call mainstream critics gave Halo 2 as high a score as LBP?

Yahtzee has always been on the money as he is not afraid to say what he thinks no matter how offensive or out of lock step it is with everyone else.

Without the media blitz from Sony then no one would have given a flying crap about LPB and it would have come in at about 70-80 something. I mean if you have to depend on a committee of people to defend your game rather than any gameplay features then you have a serious problem with your game. Only a fool follows the crowd.
Huzzah! This is exactly the type of reply I was hoping for. Ah, the comfort of predictability. Thank you, you've made my day.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Treblaine said:
Treblaine said:

The world Fails.

Yahtzee Wins.

No sarcasm.

Huzzah! This is exactly the type of reply I was hoping for. Ah, the comfort of predictability. Thank you, you've made my day.
err, touché?

LPB is still mediocre at best. The critics jumped the gun in showering it with praise when hardly anyone bought it even out of the millions of PS3 owners and the hype, while far less have anything noteworthy to say about it.

Go play a proper modern 2D game like Super Paper Mario or World of Goo that were made to be a good game not as some game that was crudely manufactured for marketing hype.

Amateria

May 9, 2008
Treblaine said:
LPB is still mediocre at best. The critics jumped the gun in showering it with praise when hardly anyone bought it even out of the millions of PS3 owners and the hype, while far less have anything noteworthy to say about it.

Go play a proper modern 2D game like Super Paper Mario or World of Goo that were made to be a good game not as some game that was crudely manufactured for marketing hype.
I would hardly call the stylistic choices made in LBP "crudely manufactured". It may not have the same sort of controls that classic side-scrollers have, (Super Mario World, being a clean example) but take the game for what it is - Loads more creative than most things in the market right now, fresh, stylized, and remarkably charming.

I know I'm kinda jumping in the middle of a flame war, but it seems silly to try and slam a game simply for the reason that it's trying to do something different.

Psychemaster

Everything in Moderation
Aug 18, 2008
This critique (not going to call it a review) lost all meaning to me as soon it cut to the googley-eyed arse bit.

Anyone else think Mr. Croshaw is losing his touch a little?