Zero Punctuation: Lollipop Chainsaw

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
templar1138a said:
"Your faithful student,
Yahtzee Croshaw"

Yeah, when I saw trailers for this, I was indifferent. And then I came across a thread where someone was asking if this game was ruining the industry. My response was that games like Lollipop Chainsaw are really just the B-movies and pulp novels of video games. People consume them because they provide simple stimuli without any attempt at pretense. And while I don't consume those things, I have no problem with them existing. If you can make money by making a game that has no purpose other than to pander to the desires of the lowest common denominator and can do so without trying to claim your work is supposed to be a fine example of art, then more power to you.

Captcha is "goody gumdrop." The name of my ridiculous zombie-killing game will now be "Gumdrop Weed-Whacker."
Did someone really ask if games like this were ruining the industry? Over, say, Call of 'let's re-skin it once a year, no-one even notices' Duty? It's not Shadow of the Collossus but I think we can allow one developer the fun of releasing dick-joke humor in video-game form.

OT: I bought it, I liked it, it isn't particularly advanced but it's got enough content to at least make it enjoyable for 6-8 Hours. Plus dialogue.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
GamemasterAnthony said:
In fact, I'm calling a new rule. Anyone who talks about Other M's characterizations in ANY light are now required to watch this video [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-40-heavens-metroid] before commenting further.
While I agree with MovieBob's film reviews about 90-95% of the time, when it comes to his Game OverThinker vids that drops to about 60%. This was one of the ones I disagreed with.

I found this guy's [http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/learning-from-other-m/] counter-arguments to be far more convincing.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Vitriol levels seemed low... Nice bike, tho.

As to the game, sounds like a renter-- which I had figured it would be. Let's face it, everyone would've been super-surprised if it had been substantial and deep game, given the title.

Michael Ellis

Jul 12, 2010
Just what the hell is "fucked" about wanting to protect Lara in the new Tomb Raider?

I'm sorry Croshaw, but you really jumped the shark with your contrarian bullshit on that one.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
Everyone seems to ignore the fact that nick is a completely disempowered, objectified and abused character, this runs parallel to Juliet to really serve as a criticism of this kind of objectification.

Its a nice bit of social commentary that mocks the very consumer this game has been targeted at.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Falseprophet said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
In fact, I'm calling a new rule. Anyone who talks about Other M's characterizations in ANY light are now required to watch this video [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-40-heavens-metroid] before commenting further.
While I agree with MovieBob's film reviews about 90-95% of the time, when it comes to his Game OverThinker vids that drops to about 60%. This was one of the ones I disagreed with.

I found this guy's [http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/learning-from-other-m/] counter-arguments to be far more convincing.
There's also this guy's videos on the subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ww_NwjC0Q . They're very in depth, I suggest checking it out.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
Between Super and Slither, if you haven't heard of James Gunn, that's your problem. Also, I thought the same thing here as I did when you said it in the Bayonetta review, if it's intentions are clear, why should anyone care that someone's masturbating to it? There's someone willing to masturbate to virtually anything on the internet, if you haven't noticed.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
I will play this at some point... perhaps not right away... but when I do I am going to get the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness costume the game offers and pretend that the Necronomicon has somehow ***** slapped Ash Williams and turned him into a girl to annoy his sense of manliness and he now has to fight zombies in a highschool to get to the book and change himself back into the Man who is a Manly Man.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
Eternal_Lament said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
Yahtzee, really...I am VERY disappointed in you. The Other M characterization dead horse has been stripped of it's skin by now.

While I'd be willing to listen to someone's argument from the other side of the issue, I'm not sure someone who uses the argument "People who claim this game is sexist are simply xenophobes/racist towards the Japanese" helps to validate that other side.
He was only saying that the ones who used the argument "It's Japan. They always do that" are who are xenophobic. Not everyone.

Michael Ellis

Jul 12, 2010
uneek said:
Eternal_Lament said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
Yahtzee, really...I am VERY disappointed in you. The Other M characterization dead horse has been stripped of it's skin by now.

While I'd be willing to listen to someone's argument from the other side of the issue, I'm not sure someone who uses the argument "People who claim this game is sexist are simply xenophobes/racist towards the Japanese" helps to validate that other side.
He was only saying that the ones who used the argument "It's Japan. They always do that" are who are xenophobic. Not everyone.
Well it can't be argued Samus's characterization in Other M basically stems from the japanese society's view of women. The producer, Yoshio Sakamoto, wrote the script as well, and it's really obvious the guy is a mysoginist.

Shiro No Uma

Nov 10, 2009
I pre-ordered this game for around $40. Not quite a budget game price, but I was pleasantly surprised how goofy and fun it was. Yes, it's similar to other Suda 51 games, but if you have played and enjoyed other Suda games (not just watched a video and decided that you are above all that) you might enjoy this game as well. His games weave very interesting, crazy, surreal stories. This one being a more lowbrow very alternate universe were it's OK to be a kick ass Buffy-ish slayer, and it's got great writing/voice acting in the style that only Suda can pull off. While the gameplay isn't broken, it is sluggish. I will say that, load times withstanding, the way in which different game mechanics come into play was something that I really liked. (Aside from Zombie Baseball. Yahtzee wasn't lying about how hard and just horrible that was.) If you like hack-in slash games give this one a try.

On a side note, as I'm really curious of others thoughts about a trend I saw in other posts. Is it the subject mater, genre or the presentation of this game that has a lot of people rolling their eyes at a Sudo 51 game being quirky? All of his games have been insane in style and story. But in correlation a game from Hideo Kojima, like any new Metal Gear, though part of an ongoing universe will be very similar in story and how it's told/played to it predecessors. Is it he quality or style of the the game in comparison to others? Are we just getting more jaded?

twesterm

Feb 25, 2009
It's funny when Yahtzee has to talk about someone who has to try too hard because of what the public expects of him.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
uneek said:
Eternal_Lament said:
GamemasterAnthony said:

He still left little room to actually grant valid arguments that the game's portrayal was mishandled. For one thing, while it's true that he may have been going for that logic, he was basically implying that everyone was following that logic. He didn't even mention reviewers or journalists who had valid arguments, he simply pointed to 4chan message boards and implied that those were basically the entirety of the arguments. For all his talks about how he hates strawman arguments he himself is the worst offender of it

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
ChaosDragoness said:
I've seen some gameplay of this game on the youtube channel of my favorite game commentator, and I have to say that I'll take a pass on this one. It might be QUIIIIIRKY, but it's just too repetitive for my taste.
Is it Robbaz? I love Robbaz haha also this game seems way too repetitive for me to consider.