Zero Punctuation: Lollipop Chainsaw

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
So, it's a $30 game? got it.

Seems oddly similar to his Ninja Gaiden 3 review. Find a combo that works and then you beat the game since it always works... kinda sad...

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
I didn't think much of it while playing through the story, but I find it fun replaying the levels and playing it like an arcade game.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Hm, i wasn't entirely sure what to think about this. Nice to see it's a resounding meh

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
templar1138a said:
Yeah, when I saw trailers for this, I was indifferent. And then I came across a thread where someone was asking if this game was ruining the industry.
I don't understand people who think a single game is capable of ruining the industry. Maybe if it sold Call of Duty numbers and people started copying it, but that obviously isn't going to be the case.
Do they perhaps mean "indicative of existing problems in the industry"?

Feb 28, 2008
PureIrony said:
Is it just me, or did Yahtzee sound a bit slower in his oration than usual, like he has a cold or something? I mention because him taking it slow, even if it's only a bit slower than usual, really does stand out and kind of ruin the whole rapid-fire comedy schtick.
There were also a few occasions in which I swear he was *this close* to running out of breath. It reminded me of those hospital tests where you have to exhale to your absolute maximum until that sort of dry effect comes on ... It was uncomfortable viewing for me.

... but that said, a good review. May possibly get this game, because I like frivolous zombie slashing -- and Dead Rising can get a bit grim and gory at certain points.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Looks like a weekend rental. Can probably be beat in a day, replayed for another and then sent back.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Yahtzee, really...I am VERY disappointed in you. The Other M characterization dead horse has been stripped of it's skin by now.

In fact, I'm calling a new rule. Anyone who talks about Other M's characterizations in ANY light are now required to watch this video [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-40-heavens-metroid] before commenting further.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
beetrain said:
Do they perhaps mean "indicative of existing problems in the industry"?
Don't know, don't really care. Like Yahtzee said, Juliet is actually pretty progressive and a bit of a satire compared to other female protagonists of her ilk.

I do my part for the cause of feminism by not buying games that involve said protagonists and signing petitions chastising games in development that are a lot worse than the usual.

Also by starting a thread asking people to come up with examples of sexy women in video games who aren't sex objects, wherein I ask people not to argue about the issues that led to me making that thread, but they do anyway, which leads to many, many reports of misogyny and trolling that makes a mod lose patience and close the thread at just over 450 posts.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
In Minecraft, there is a reason to "really, really need rotting meat". Rotten flesh and other meats heal pet wolves and make them mate.
Maybe it's the same thing with game developers coming together.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
The one thing I wanted to bring up was when Yahtzee said how even though the game was trying to be quirky it was still in some ways relatively samey. I bring this up because I remember saying the exact same thing when the first trailers came out and that the concept of "Blonde cheerleader kills zombies with a pink chainsaw" sounded by all accounts to be to bland. Both a bit happy and sad to find myself correct. Watching videos online and through some reviews, it seems clear that, much like recent Suda 51 games (Shadows especially), that his premises appear to be just a small novelty and otherwise aren't very creative. I'm also not surprised that gameplay wasn't good, because it's never really been one of Suda's strong suits.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
And yet another neat game that I will probably never get to play due to developers' PC-phobia. Sigh.

ChaosDragoness

Jun 5, 2012
I've seen some gameplay of this game on the youtube channel of my favorite game commentator, and I have to say that I'll take a pass on this one. It might be QUIIIIIRKY, but it's just too repetitive for my taste.

Oct 30, 2010
This was a way more positive take than I was expecting, even granting his previously expressed fondness for Suda 51.

Still not paying $60 though; call me back in 6 months.

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
templar1138a said:
Don't know, don't really care. Like Yahtzee said, Juliet is actually pretty progressive and a bit of a satire compared to other female protagonists of her ilk.
Indeed, I didn't mean to imply LC was problematic, just if that was what went through the minds of the people you mentioned.

Being fairly interested in feminism myself, may I ask where one might find such petitions?

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
GamemasterAnthony said:
Yahtzee, really...I am VERY disappointed in you. The Other M characterization dead horse has been stripped of it's skin by now.

In fact, I'm calling a new rule. Anyone who talks about Other M's characterizations in ANY light are now required to watch this video [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-40-heavens-metroid] before commenting further.
While I'd be willing to listen to someone's argument from the other side of the issue, I'm not sure someone who uses the argument "People who claim this game is sexist are simply xenophobes/racist towards the Japanese" helps to validate that other side.

yunabomb

Nov 29, 2011
The mood of this video seemed way more subtle than what I would expect from Zero Punctuation.

Blunderman

Jun 24, 2009
It's disappointing to see even Yahtzee fall in line behind the "video games are sexist"-crowd. Then again, he did the same thing with the "RE5 is racist"-people. Video games and gamers still have a lot of growing up to do.