Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Haha, great review. I'll probably have to wait a few years to play this game, but still it looks like fun. Also, is it bad that I find the wolf with the lazer kind of cute? LOL.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Doug said:
ramik81 said:
You know if you sex up Tali, in the next game she's going to contract an virus and die from a poor immune system...right?

lol
Nope. And you know Quarians can't get virus's from humans, right? Only from Turians.
That's not true. On Illium there's a conversation between a Quarian and Turian talking about the Quarian's human ex-boyfriend who wanted to go "Natural". It's possible to miss the part about the Quarian's boyfriend being human though.

I'm at least glad that explained why the Quarian immune system was so fragile and why they didn't settle another world. That never made any sense in the first Mass Effect. The Quarians seemed like Battlestar Galactica knockoff, but it's not like there weren't other planets in the Galaxy that couldn't be settle in the 300 years after the Quarians left their homeworld.

Mchappyburgr

Feb 17, 2010
Strange. I thought this review was strangely 1) non-scathing to say in this least, but he did point out the only major flaw, which was the resource mining, and 2) Not hatred built like the other ones. I personally think ME2 was nothing short of amazing (other than listening to The Styx while mining hours on end. Fking Come Sail Away...) and well, the combat seemed more immersive and great nonetheless. So...i guess Yahtzee sees it most in most gamers eyes, which indeed he got right for the first time in his miserable, dentist-less life, But i still enjoy his seething hatred for all things alive. Nihilist.

Shydrow

Feb 8, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
I never really get why Yahtzee complains about games being too easy when there are multiple difficulty settings.

He should try not issuing commands to the AI on Insanity and see how far he gets...
I feel like your a fanboy

Denis Trailin

Feb 13, 2010
Interesting how he mentions some of the flaw's of the original in the sequel review but he never mentioned them in the original review. He did this Assassins Creed 2 also.

MorkFromOrk

Sep 9, 2007
The problem with exploration in ME1 was that it didn't make any sense. It's like BioWare was trying to incorporate old D&D RPG mechanics into a futuristic Sci-Fi shooter/RPG and well...It just didn't fit. Roving all over planets so you can hack some satellite so you can procure lvl 4 Cryo ammo (WTF?) Nevermind the fact you were on a time sensitive mission to SAVE THE UNIVERSE. You didn't have time to dilly-dally around surveying planets for bloody mineral deposits. Oh, but you needed credits to buy gear you say. WHY? A Specter had to buy his or her own Specter only weapons? WTF? Helllooo, saving the universe here, just give me the stuff!

Now in ME2, at least surveying planets to gain resources for your own on ship tech lab to make upgraded weapons and armor 'n such kinda makes sense (why Cerberus couldn't just do this for you, I dunno.) But, surveying planets in ME2 was the most goddamnist boring grind I've ever experienced in a video game short of EVE Online. Surely BioWare could have ingeniously figured out a way for players to upgrade the hardware of Shepard an Co. other than the God awfully boring planet survey mechanic.

To make matters worse BioWare completely redid game mechanics for ME2 that only needed minor tweaking from ME1. Where's the skill tree? Why are Biotics nerfed?

Aside from that the game is gold. Enjoyed it.

wiredk

Jun 1, 2008
Why am I no longer surprised that Yahtzee has latched himself onto machine-farted games.

Oh, and angry that the game has a way to get supplies that doesn't involve a MMO mechanic?

fantastic!

Yahtzee loses his Literary status and has now acquired 10 levels in Corporate Whore.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
I'd say it was a good review. He didn't really search for things to pick apart, he just picked apart the few problems the game has. He also wasn't always insulting the game, it was more of pointing things out. I do think he liked the game overall. It's probably a contender for his "least crap game of the year" award.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Shydrow said:
MiracleOfSound said:
I never really get why Yahtzee complains about games being too easy when there are multiple difficulty settings.

He should try not issuing commands to the AI on Insanity and see how far he gets...
I feel like your a fanboy
That's a good one. Took ya a while to think that one up did you?

Bet you giggled with excitement at the thought of unleashing your astounding wit onto me.

All it was missing was a 'pwnd' at the end and it would have been the cleverest post ever seen on the Escapist.

Anyway...

Someone disagrees with a reviewer so they're a fanboy. Nice logic.

A fanboy of what exactly? Mass Effect? Zero Punctuation? Proper spelling?

It's 'you're', with an apostrophe.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I really don't know wether to get this game and this review didn't really help

No surprise there then :p

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Raithnor said:
Doug said:
ramik81 said:
You know if you sex up Tali, in the next game she's going to contract an virus and die from a poor immune system...right?

lol
Nope. And you know Quarians can't get virus's from humans, right? Only from Turians.
That's not true. On Illium there's a conversation between a Quarian and Turian talking about the Quarian's human ex-boyfriend who wanted to go "Natural". It's possible to miss the part about the Quarian's boyfriend being human though.

I'm at least glad that explained why the Quarian immune system was so fragile and why they didn't settle another world. That never made any sense in the first Mass Effect. The Quarians seemed like Battlestar Galactica knockoff, but it's not like there weren't other planets in the Galaxy that couldn't be settle in the 300 years after the Quarians left their homeworld.
Well, getting sick and getting a virus aren't the same thing. Tali explained it as akin to an allegric reaction, and Mordin, during one of his safe-sex talks (on Garrus, I believe) said that 'injesting' dextro-amino-acid material would cause anaphylatic shock. Basically, there bodies act like their infected with something for a week or more, though it can be much worse and our-right kill them.

And indeedie. 60 years to re-adapt to their homeworld without the suits, or 600 years on a new world. I can certainly see why the Quarians are eager to return to their homeworld.

Limitedmoon06

Feb 18, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:

@MiracleOfSound: I agree with Yahtzee here. Playing a game on "Normal" difficulty should result in an experience that is reasonably challenging to a first time player without becoming overwhelming. Both "Mass Effect" games actually suffer from their non-linear game play in this aspect. Situations do not become harder or easier (i.e. add or remove enemies, change environmental factors, etc.) depending on your level, which gives the game difficulty a very "flat" feel.

Naheal said:
Snipers don't need teammates. In fact, they have this disgusting tendency to GIVE YOUR POSITION AWAY. I'm more just impressed that you had the patience to be a sniper in that game.
@Naheal: If you got by on Veteran or above without your team and mainly using a sniper rifle, my hat is off to you. I didn't use team commands much my first play through but on Hardcore mode I don't think I could have won without them.

Now to actually respond to the video... funny! It was great that Yahtzee brought up the difficulty, too bad that he spent so long obliterating relatively minor issues, and I'm disappointed that he didn't mention anything about the game's length. I'm convinced you can beat the game in 8 hours or less.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
I thought it was a fantastic game. In the RPG genre the only games this year that may top it off that i can think of are FFXIII (which has received average reviews) and Fallout: Las Vegas.

I agree with wanting more weapons though.

You get a lot more bang for you buck with the powers i think, and i love how the action is more fast paced provided you assign your powers to RB and LB (if playing on xbox).

I liked how you didn't have to grind enemies for XP, you earned it based on your missions.

If you really hate mining, on your second play through go an engineer - his passive ability grants at discount on your research cost - that plus the 50,000 of each resource means you can get away with very little planet scanning time.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
For me I miss the Mako driving. I liked being able to snipe out turrets from distance or completely own enemies. It's more fun than that probing part.

The weapon system took a huge hit in my eyes too. Being forced to just use 1 of two pistols or 1 of 2 SMG or 1 of 3 snipers is not a good system.

You just end up using Normal pistol, SMG with 50 bullets and sniper(well the powerful one, Auto sniper does shit damage and you don't want that).

Never once did I switch back to that Burst fire pistol and neither did I use that Heavy pistol that much as it's ammo count was so pathetically low.

Also why the hell can't I find more ammo for the rocket launcher weapon? It's not fun not being able to use my mininuke more than once. I want to blast things up.

I also miss the EXP gain from monsters.

Oh and what's with 5 second run? It's annoying to be limited in speed.

Vinticore

Nov 19, 2009
Well, when ya put it like that, who would'nt go straight for the Paragon point. Jean'luc Shepard all the way!