Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect

Shut up

Dec 21, 2007
Look, i know all of you minions love this guy, and yeh ihe is pretty funny, butr WTF is the point of sending pointless messages that basically follow "i love you so effing much Yahtzee". Do you really think he give half a flying s$#t???

Shut up

Dec 21, 2007
Look, i know all of you minions love this guy, and yeh ihe is pretty funny, butr WTF is the point of sending pointless messages that basically follow "i love you so effing much Yahtzee". Do you really think he give half a flying s$#t???

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
maybe that's what makes the comment section worth reading?

anyway, i wanted to talk about some people criticising him for not reviewing properly. They might have forgotten that these reviews are merely for entertainment, not real reviewing.

And for those that think yahtzee hates CAD, he critized it only for it's wall of text. He didn't say he hates CAD, just that wall of texts aren't a nice read.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Neimo said:
The questions these guys want to ask the designer are "WHY?!? Why did you make the hero look like a girl? What purpose does that serve in the game? What purpose does that serve the hero? How does the personality of the hero correspond to him looking like a girl?"
Sqeeeing fangirls.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
-> hickwarrior, hi :)
"And for those that think yahtzee hates CAD, he critized it only for it's wall of text. He didn't say he hates CAD, just that wall of texts aren't a nice read."

Relative. Walls of text shouldn't be a problem if the walls of text are well-written and interesting. Ever read the classic comic series "Blake and Mortimer" by Edgar P. Jacobs? It features walls of texts which make those of CAD look brief and concise, yet once you start reading them, you get sucked into the story and wouldn't want it any other way. Same goes for Planescape: Torment, where examining objects sometimes turns into a story of its own.

lpneiman

Dec 13, 2007
It's quite hard to keep the coffee in my mouth as I am watching your reviews.

Amahzing yet again, Yahtzee.

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
i enjoyed this one, but only cos of the "Yahtzeeisms" not really cos of the review itself. I knew he wasn't going to like it, and as such was prepared for the roasting it got. For the record i'm not an rpg fan boy, i liked kotor but thats running around lamping people with a glowstick gets me hard, point is i don't want to hear about how shit they are, cos we all know, and for those who like em, they're just gonna be pissed off at it. I think all the reviews are accurate and hilarious, but leave the rpg's alone, the more people whine about em, the more the "rebels" wanna tug themselves off over one...

AmoDman

Dec 21, 2007
I honestly don't understand his complaints about the combat system. Sure, there are some things to be complained about, that the combat system is a little foreign and clunky at first with NO explanation other than a few quick hardly readable blurbs shot out in the middle of a fight you're already losing...but I just told my guys to form up on me and they never got in my way. In fact, idiots who can't tell the difference between enemies (with big red targetting triangles on them) and their allies (whom they dick around with for 25) seem like the sort of people Yahtzee would be making fun OF, not joining ranks WITH.

And for the record, Mass Effect does have a good story :p. A pinch of Star Wars, a dash of Battlestar Galactica themes (you're thinking Geth? Just wait until later), and a bucketful of a living, breathing Universe where humans aren't the bastions of peace and leadership for no apparent reason like in Star Trek, and you've got Mass Effect (which, consequently, is an actually very well explored fictional concept of affecting the Mass of Space-Time with the newly discovered element Zero, which will no doubt be explored further in relation to the developement and evolution of The Reapers in later games :O).

Synchro593

Nov 26, 2007
Sincere praise, it's always good to hear the cynical views of Yahtzee ripping into a game underneath all the glory words every other reviewer and their cat throw up. Moderately rushed, great job again, as always, and thank you for telling me about Psychonauts.

Amused, I loved these aliens.

The Lost Boy17

Dec 21, 2007
Although I am very fond of CAD, that was a really funny review. "Mass Erect" was worth a laugh.

Also I found something interesting-This guy here (www.freewebs.com/perloothebold) has apparently decided that he's going to review reviewers. Yahtzee is the first one he's done.

error17

Dec 21, 2007
Yet he still continues to appeal in humorous content making me laugh. Come back again Croshaw its a 10 out of 10 experience.

Green Team Australia [http://www.freewebs.com/greenteamaustralia/]

Heroic One

Aug 29, 2007
I wonder if there will be a review next week. It is the day after Christmas, after all.

Then again, Mr. Croshaw doesn't strike me as the "festive" type...

Khakidoo

Sep 22, 2007
I believe that a compilation of the songs bookending Zero Punctuation would make for a seriously kick ass party mix.

Chis

Nov 28, 2007
As long as you take out Aerosmith and Guns & Roses. Otherwise that'd be one party I'd have to crash.

naveRhtraD

Oct 31, 2007
Excellent vid, Yahtzee, late though this comes.

Though you'll pardon me that I take this review with a couple of salt licks, since I happen to be one of those people that love RPGs and KotOR in particular and should probably take the time to play through Mass Effect myself sometime.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
VMerken said:
Relative. Walls of text shouldn't be a problem if the walls of text are well-written and interesting. Ever read the classic comic series "Blake and Mortimer" by Edgar P. Jacobs? It features walls of texts which make those of CAD look brief and concise, yet once you start reading them, you get sucked into the story and wouldn't want it any other way. Same goes for Planescape: Torment, where examining objects sometimes turns into a story of its own.
I see, but where do you read webcomics? usually on the web, but i don't think that point of yahtzee is valid, mainly because of the voice thingies. But i haven't played it. And i do know you can print those comics, but it's still the thing that you read those on the web.

I think my points aren't valid, but the point in my post was that yahtzee didn't state that he disliked CAD, just that he doesn't like walls of text that are dragging on and on... Wait that wasn't my point really, Maybe it just got something to do with webcomics then. But now i think about it, this point makes more sense.

Arcanum3000

Sep 13, 2007
For the record, I played through Mass Effect, did almost every single side-quest, and mostly rather liked the game.

However, I definitely empathize with Yahtzee's complaints. The game does tend to be rather wordy, and it carries this strange compulsion to fully explore and listen to every journal entry and dialogue tree even though you don't really care, just in case you missed something. The combat is weak, in part due to the reasons mentioned. The Mako really does handle terribly, though this is partially due to the design of the non-plot-related planets, with their giant jaggy cliffs, pits, and ditches.

Anyway, awesome review. One of the better ones.

Also, I knew there was something that bugged me about Ashley's name. I'm suddenly really glad I went with the blue alien chick.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think Yahtzee understands equipment systems in RPGs, then again RPG's have not had great equipment systems in 8ish years.