Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect

FoX_HunteR

Dec 30, 2007
What people need to realize, is that its HIS review, he can do it however he wants,
otherwise, it would be exactly like EVERY OTHER REVIEW EVER DONE!
Seriously, if u want to see a review where they throw numbers in the air to describe how bad the plot was and how good the game play was, then go to game spot or something.
Bens reviews are a change, something different, and they're pretty funny.

If you don't like his review, then start your own site and do your own review,
then watch how everyone ELSE complains about how YOUR review was unfair and ect. ect...

Good reviews will be unfair to people who hate the game,
bad reviews will be unfair to people who love the game,
and because we're all human, we're all different in what we like.

I personally like these reviews,
they pretty much say what I think about these games.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
i think space is there to explane where the planets are.

great review but wheres this week's review? ..oh year xmas. yahtzee how dare you have a life (joke)

jakmatar

Jan 1, 2008
whether he enjoyed the game or not is irrelevant.

not everyone -has- to enjoy mass effect, just like not everyone -has- to enjoy yahtzee's review of it.

personally, i loved the game, just as much as i loved his review. everyone here seems to forget the fundamental purpose of both: to entertain. while the game itself is not, by far, a pile of steaming horse dung, i find that magnifying the flaws of the game is infinitely more capable of holding my attention than watching another reviewer stroke himself off to it. ultimately, if i want to watch someone drop to their knees and fellate bioware, i'd go to gamespot or ign.

it made me laugh. it made me miss the week yahtzee took off. it will make me come back to have another laugh at the expense of another game on wednesday.

GruntGuy

Jan 1, 2008
Basically, Yahtzee = epic win :D
Full stop.
End of discussion.

Nah but seriously, no matter how much you love a game, you really can't take him seriously enough to hate him for what he says about it. For example, I love the halo franchise, and normally I despise mocking it or speaking against it, but I watched Yahtzee's Halo 3 review and absolutely loved it. His reviews are just too funny to take seriously. Of course, he does have his points, but they're far far more exagerated than what they really are. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and not everyone loves or hates the same game. There are the foaming-at-the-mouth 9-year olds screaming abuse down Xbox headsets in a game of Halo, there are folk who like to sit and play solitaire all day, etc etc the list goes on.
You can be angry at people who genuinely dislike your favourite game and deliberately make fun of it to piss you off, but you can't get angry at Yahtzee for doing it, because he does it entirely for comic effect. It's his JOB. That's why the escapist hired him to do these reviews, because he can take the piss out of games and be genuinely funny about it. There's only been one game which he's really praised, and that was Portal. It's nothing unusual when Yahtzee completely shoots down a game. Even if it is your favourite game. When he's not doing a review on your favourite game, he'll be doing a review on a game which other people find spectacularly awesome, and yet they don't cry out in anger.

Anyhow, now that I've made my input, is Yahtzee actually doing a review this week? What happened to last week's review? Festive holidays?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
toastiest
ooo my condolences :p

Anyway Mass effect is not the best bioware RPG yet, I like the whitcher more even if the combat and inventory system is flawed and the dialog is meek in comparasion to mass effect.

R Man

Dec 19, 2007
AngryCola said:
That doesn't make much sense.

Regardless, if you only want to play on casual and laugh as your enemies explode when you spit at them, that's completely fine. Mass Effect's default difficulty is kind of a joke, and I have a feeling 'veteran' was normal/default, while 'casual' was 'easy' for a long time during development. This would also explain there being no extra achievements for veteran. Then towards the end some genius, possibly the same person who designed the inventory system, decided it was all too different for people and they had to make it easier by default.

Anyway, talking about tactics as they relate to casual is pointless to begin with. The player has already decided they would rather things be a cake walk. There really is no need for strategy in casual... period.

So yes, if you only play on easy you don't need the combat wheel I guess. You will, however, entirely miss the meat of the gameplay. So just flat out suggesting to people that they never need to use it is inaccurate at best, with more of a tilt towards bad advice.
Tactics are what you use instead of running into enemy gunfire. The big one is retreat. Most people seem to forget you can do that. You have no idea what difficulty I played on so do not presume you know. And strategy would not enter into casual play as strategy is completely different from tactics and would not factor much in an individual engagement of an RPG. Perhaps you should be playing FPS rather than RPG's as I was under the impression that and Role Playing Game was a Role Playing Game and hence the name. The point of playing is to interact with the story line and characters.

Most players are not hardcore gamers. You however seem to be veteran of shooters. The game has to be playable to casual gamers who might not have the same experience as you. If you found it easy then good for you. I found it easy to hence my lack of Wheel usage. Now that Christmass is over I will go back and play the game on a harder difficutly. My point is that casual gamers need not be intimidated by feeling they need to use the wheel all the time.

Veraad

Jan 2, 2008
hmm no vid for new years day :(

ya know what i think that charismatic stalion did? When The Escapist asked him what day he'd like to post his reviews he had a quick look at the 2008 calendar and took advantage of a 1 in 3000 year anomaly..
There won't be any reviews released on Ash Wednesday, Shrove Wednesday, Good Wednesday, Easter Wednesday and of course all 4 Bank holiday Wednesdays.

hehehe.

(in all seriousness though, there all very good and free of course so who could possibly complain?)

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
is there anyone who bases his opinion on zero punctuation??? instead of a serious but non-hilarious review? It's just fun, I don't take anything serious, so I don't see where all the injustice-fuzz is about

then again, as for the femininity of JRPG males, that's serious:
1. Asian males are more feminime. They have less testosterone and stuff. So yeah, the character style reflects this
2. Those characters bring some much needed female gamers into our world! I don't know many fangirls of gears of war or anything

NSiky

Nov 1, 2007
tobyornottoby said:
is there anyone who bases his opinion on zero punctuation??? instead of a serious but non-hilarious review? It's just fun, I don't take anything serious, so I don't see where all the injustice-fuzz is about

1. Asian males are more feminime. They have less testosterone and stuff. So yeah, the character style reflect this
2. Those characters bring some much needed female gamers into our world! I don't know many fangirls of gears of war or anything
To be honest, Zero Punctuation seems far more credible to me than any of the "serious" reviews. IGN and the likes are totally shit. They base their scores entirely on hype, which is why they gave Assassin's Creed and Halo 3 massive ratings, only for everyone to discover how crap they were when they went to take it home.

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
NSiky said:
tobyornottoby said:

1. Asian males are more feminime. They have less testosterone and stuff. So yeah, the character style reflect this
To be honest, Zero Punctuation seems far more credible to me than any of the "serious" reviews. IGN and the likes are totally shit. They base their scores entirely on hype, which is why they gave Assassin's Creed and Halo 3 massive ratings, only for everyone to discover how crap they were when they went to take it home.
really? maybe it's just different tastes then. I think he focuses on the wrong stuff, attacking RPG's for having much text & comparing the bottom-up zelda with top-down half-life & such, attacking apples for not being pears

Blind IO

Jan 2, 2008
I can understand the christmas break last week but i cant see an immediate reason for this weeks lack of a review. Maybe christmas was not the reason for last weeks hiatus, maybe Yahtzee has had enough of the zp reviews and just cant be bothered to do it anymore so he has quit and is never coming back NNNOOOOOOO!!!! YAHTZEE IS NEVER COMING BACK.

Hypersapien

Nov 14, 2007
Blind IO said:
I can understand the christmas break last week but i cant see an immediate reason for this weeks lack of a review. Maybe christmas was not the reason for last weeks hiatus, maybe Yahtzee has had enough of the zp reviews and just cant be bothered to do it anymore so he has quit and is never coming back NNNOOOOOOO!!!! YAHTZEE IS NEVER COMING BACK.
Don't even joke about that

>8(

Armada651

Jan 2, 2008
The new review has been up since 6:00 PM, the list just didn't get updated

Link to review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/2768-Zero-Punctuation-Super-Mario-Galaxy]

SomeBlackGuy

Dec 24, 2007
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/2768-Zero-Punctuation-Super-Mario-Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy review, they forgot to put it on the ZP page.

DrmChsr0

Jan 7, 2008
Call me retarded, but I was mildly disappointed he didn't make a most inappropriate joke about a certain red dot which briefly banned the game because of the hype over a lesbian sex scene :p

That, my friends, is the ultimate example of hype distorting a game.

fundude365

Dec 12, 2007
I agree with him on the subject of CtrlAltDel... the exception to the rule is, oddly enough, the comic concerning Mass Effect:

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20071119

It's Witting, Charmy and, most importantly, to the point. And I'm British, I'm aware of the typing error, I just thought it was more 'FUN' this way.