Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
I feel like you've made the mistake of approaching Revengeance as a MGS game instead of as a Platinum game.

I have no idea how much Kojima was involved in the writing (or even if at all) but I found the ridiculous tone quite fitting the over the top gameplay. Revengeance never set out to be a serious game and follows this notion through until the very end.
The only thing I hated about it was the stupid latino kid. Seriously, it's like they tried to make him as annoying as humanly possible.

The one thing I do agree with is that parrying wasn't explained as well as it could have been. I only found out how it works during the fight with Blade Wolf after dying countless times. But once you figure it out the parrying is actually surprisingly easy and intuitive.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Good, another game that never tickled my fancy was hack'n'slashed into oblivion by the unsung hero of the internets (yes, Yahtzee) By the way, are there actually any good games coming out this year or have people choked to death from anxiety and disappointment that SimCity wasn't the game it should have been and now everyone is just saying: 'fuck it, this year is ruined, better luck in 2014'? Well, let's hope so.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
I actually completed it today.

One of the bet final boss fights ever :D

I think the trick is to go into the game expecting it not to take itself too seriously, like a cheesy 80's action movie.

I loved it.
Kinda like a "chop socky" martial arts movie a la The Man With the Iron Fists, huh?

I'm surprised that Yahtzee didn't give a 10 second disclaimer as to why he didn't play SimCity. With the way the DRM caused a much publicized [http://techland.time.com/2013/03/12/were-ready-for-always-online-simcity-wasnt/] meltdown (just one more reason I'm content sticking to my mighty Hidden Object games) I figured he would be hard pressed to resist the temptation to take the piss on EA one more time.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Well at least he's not Raiden Sanke's coat tails anymore, but he seems to have graduated from the Naruto school of ninja theory
Naruto school of ninja theory? I don't even think I want to know the joke there -_-

OT: I went into this game not taking it seriously from the start, because... well, because Kojima. Perhaps thats why the boss music didn't bother me as much and it is close to some of the music I like anyway.

Even if you try and take it seriously he's right about the final boss though, it was just so awful. I get the feeling Jesse Ventura might have inspired the character. His ideology is just pathetic and going to youtube videos seeing people actually sort of agreeing with him is just sad. Sundowner had the only point of view that was close to reality and somewhat easy to sympathize with. The idea of the war economy and it giving people jobs who might not fit in anywhere else.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

I think the trick is to go into the game expecting it not to take itself too seriously, like a cheesy 80's action movie.

I loved it.
Agreed, the last boss was really awesome for me. When I beat him (after 17 tries or so) I was jumping up and down in my bed from the adrenaline. Awesome music helps too.

Really, I disagree with Yahtzee there, the music in this game is the best boss music I have ever experienced, the way it dynamically changed based on when you are cutting and on phases is just wicked!

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
I feel ashamed for not making the connection between Solid Snake's name and the whole dick thing. And to think, it's been there all those years.

Sweet review though, now I'm really curious about the ending.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I guess Yathzee didn't know Kojima himself wasn't involved in MGR's development. I thought he would apreciate the campy side of the story, especially th racist mariachi costu- I mean authentic civilian disguise.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
I will say there were some really hilarious lines in the game. Like in the beginning when Raiden gets one of his arms chopped off and his response is: "Not again." As if he had just gotten another zit or something.
Mark Hamill did it better.

excalipoor said:
Raiden also rhymes with Hayden Christensen, who played the role of a penis in the Star Wars prequels.
He was certainly a stiff, but I think that's unfair to penises everywhere.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
He has a point on the parry command being remarkably badly explained, when i was playing though the demo i had no idea what i was supposed to do since the times it actually worked seemed to have no relation to what i was doing or what the enemy was doing.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
bafrali said:
I guess Yathzee didn't know Kojima himself wasn't involved in MGR's development. I thought he would apreciate the campy side of the story, especially th racist mariachi costu- I mean authentic civilian disguise.
Raiden is the master of subterfuge

Also, this review seemed like one of those times Yahtzee just didn't seem to get the game he was playing. The moment you see that the makers of the game made MadWorld, Viewtiful Joe, Godhand and Bayonetta, all expectations of a serious tone should be tossed out the window.

PS: the soundtrack of this game is fucking phenomenal and just fits the game so well

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
Personally, I think the reason I enjoy MGS so much is that they've been in on the joke since at least MGS3, and possibly before that. It's the Max Payne principle: make fun of yourself enough and you can get away with being ludicrous.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I will admit that while Platinum Games are good at gameplay they are freaking RETARDS when it comes to writing stories. The only one that could be taken even somewhat seriously was Madworld and that's mostly because Yasumi Matsuno is such a good writer that it makes me realize just how low the standards for writing in games are.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Oh god... that Biker Mice from Mars comparison was spot on! I didn't see that one coming at all!

Armstrong does kinda remind me of Limburger now that I think about it...

I really enjoyed MGR:Revengeance, despite the stupid name and ridiculous premise. For some reason it never felt out of place within the MGS canon for me. I guess it helped that it was set after the last MGS game, if it had been somewhere within games it would feel really odd.

I'll admit that those sneaking sections were bullshit. Why include them when the game wasn't even designed around stealth?

As far as new franchise entries go, I thought Tomb Raider was more out of place tonally than Revengeance.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
excalipoor said:
Vivi22 said:
excalipoor said:
Raiden also rhymes with Hayden Christensen, who played the role of a penis in the Star Wars prequels.
No, they don't rhyme actually.
Fine. Raiden sounds a lot like Hayden. Better?
Actually no. Raiden is pronounced rye-den. Hayden is pronounced hey-den. They don't rhyme at all.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Well, I have not played MGR yet, but I will say that I liked MGS4 quite a bit though. Did MGS4 have cutscenes that were way too long? Yes, absolutely. Could anyone accuse MGS4 of being a thoughtless game? No, not at all.

And that is the real problem with the industry, not the differences of aesthetics when people are inspired by film and other mediums when they make games. Not when people like Yahtzee lobby that game should be their own medium and sever themselves from film. But, when game are completely thoughtless.

If the difference of aesthetics between Yahtzee and Kojima were all that affected the industry, it would be a much better industry. Instead, we get thoughtless sequels spit out like Call of Duty, and mediocre tie-ins that no one was inspired to make like Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I expected the dick joke that has been in every Metal Gear game review ever. Was not disappointed.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Vivi22 said:
excalipoor said:
Vivi22 said:
excalipoor said:
No, they don't rhyme actually.
Fine. Raiden sounds a lot like Hayden. Better?
Actually no. Raiden is pronounced rye-den. Hayden is pronounced hey-den. They don't rhyme at all.
I really don't care to argue rhymes with you, so I'll just direct you here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyme#General_rhymes].

And I even gave in to calling it not-a-rhyme. Geez, lighten up chief.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

I loved it.
You fight ALL the negative 'mericah stereotypes (obesity aside) included in one human being. How could you NOT like it?
I personally not only did like "the boss" as a boss, but also as a character. Yes, stereotypical, yes bat-sh1t insane, but still so... Rad...

And the game itself was fun. You hack, you slash, you parry, you do cool stuff. As long as you like Platinum games' products, you'll like this.

And parry is not so hard: push the stick towards the attacking enemy and press light attack. Yahtzee is probably getting old and should stick to visual novels and point-n-click adventure games, so that his grandpa fingers won't crumble to dust.

Inbefore crazy Yahtzovah witnessess response: that was a joke.