Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
klc0100 said:
conqueror Kenny said:
Is it me or are the long cut scenes skippable? Alot of moaning about something fixed easily.
x2 still entertaining never the less
You want to talk to me about spelling. You have started a war my friend a war you have no chance of winning.

Darkpen

Nov 26, 2006
I was expecting so much more, yet I received so little...

As for the lack of tactical espionage, its due to the developers' decision to make the game easy for the stupids in the world. The controls aren't bad, either, and honestly, its not meant to be played as a cover-based shooter. You certainly use cover, but not when you decide to go Rambo, as most people playing this game seem to be inclined to do.

miffywiffy

Jan 3, 2008
The problem with MGS games is the control mechanics are from Japan and they just dob't seem to get it and in MGS4 it feels like they tacked on alot of crap as a afterthought. What makes MGS games really good though and make you see through this is the story and kool gameplay ideas that are in and you just wish'd there was more of it and the controls wern't so bad.

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
I liked the review, but it's just because I only like odd numbered MGS games.

Me: "I didn't like the 30 minute cutscenes in MGS2 (and don't get me started on Rose)."
Konami: "Yeah, well we tripled the cutscene length!"
Me: "And you can all go to Hell."

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I pretty much knew everything he was going to say before he said it, those flaws are very apparent and everything he said is pretty much dead on. Nice note about the writing though, it's good to see I'm no the only one who thought "This story REALLY isn't bad, neither are these characters, they just REALLY need a good writer/editor/something to come across better."

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
conqueror Kenny said:
klc0100 said:
conqueror Kenny said:
Is it me or are the long cut scenes skippable? Alot of moaning about something fixed easily.
x2 still entertaining never the less
You want to talk to me about spelling. You have started a war my friend a war you have no chance of winning.
It had to be done and dont go off topic now or you may get banned..again =D

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
(there are only 3 games that count as direct sequals in a sense, just go for the ones with the word Solid in the title and you should be fine)

This is exactly what I expected Yahtzee to say. Ever since he mentioned in his review of the World Ends with you that he hates it when he doesn't feel he is contributing I knew MGS4 would really annoy him with its cutscene times

Persoanlly I find his comments generally acurate because the only MGS game I've really played is MGS2 which starts of reasonable, becomes just plain bizarre about midway and has a final cutscene that is nothing short of abysmal and confusing

Always planned to buy this game but conviction wavered a bit, may see if I can rent it somehow first, oh who am I kiding I'll buy it Friday and probably wont complain much.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
Ah, seems it's MGS' trn to get snuck up on and shivved horribly in the nads. I have to agree on the whole plot/game ratio, which was so woefully inadequate I was glad I'd snuck round a mate's place to play it.

And the fan element is bang on - the only people I've heard sing MGS' praises have been those who've plaed from the very start. I guess I could have been in that same boat, as I played MGS1 for a while, before realsing I still didn't have 200.6% completion on Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night, and buggered off to play that instead.

riverscrossing

May 7, 2008
I have to agree about the 23 minutes of cutscene till an enemy fight being god awful...
But do you remember kingdom hearts 2? I recieved as a gift from my ex... played it for a hour, thinking that I was allready playing kingdom hearts 2. When all of sudden the game decided to announce the title and cast. An hour into the game!?! I dont know why this caused my ex and I to start cursing out the gods. Thankfully playing MGS4 didnt cause that to happen again.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
So, who noticed the URL at the end of the video in the rush to post a comment? :)

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
lol. Great review as always. I don't agree with it (MGS is the best story based game ever made) but it was still a funny review because some of it is true. :D

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
About sequels, let me ask something: Did start to see Godfather from part III? Was Rambo IV the first Rambo moview for you?! Harry Potter Prisioner of Askaban was the first Harry Potter book for you (I don't like Potter, but I used as example anyway)?!

Yatzee lost an oportunity of making fun of MGS fans (like me) by been sooooo short in the review and not mocking more on mgs story line.

FSBlueApocalypse

Apr 2, 2008
MGS2 is by far the crappiest of the bunch. 3 is still probably the best of the series but 4 is better than any game released on current gen games.

Mirokunite

Nov 22, 2007
Also in before shit storm.

Anyway, I agree with this review. Also worth noting is the install times on this game.

sfried

Dec 20, 2007
"MGS4 Deus Ex Machina Count: 9"

You took that from Spoony Experiments and Noah's Fuse Box count, didn't you?
You summed up everything I pretty much wanted to say about the series.

Nov 28, 2007
Finally, someone else who isn't a huge MGS fan. I have to agree with Yahtzee on Hideo Kojima letting storytelling get in the way of actual gameplay way too often.