Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
klc0100 said:
conqueror Kenny said:
klc0100 said:
conqueror Kenny said:
Is it me or are the long cut scenes skippable? Alot of moaning about something fixed easily.
x2 still entertaining never the less
You want to talk to me about spelling. You have started a war my friend a war you have no chance of winning.
It had to be done and don't go off topic now or you may get banned..again =D
The war is on.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Fantastic review Yahtzee. If this is one of the few games the PS3 has going for it then thank holy fucking jesus that I havn't wasted my money on one.

My "Mailbox showdown" sense is tingerling.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
YES!! I actually laughed out loud while watching this review. I for one say that he's getting his edge back, this one was a lot funnier than a couple previous ones.

Great review, although I haven't played the game or any of its predecessors I heard about how long the damned cutscenes were. Sounds to me like it's more of a movie where you get to control the characters in the least decisive bits of the story so you don't cock it up. I might be a bit off here, but that's the impression I got.

Jdopus

Jun 13, 2008
It was a good review, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the last one, though that might be because I've never played any of the metal gear games so may have missed out on some jokes.

Unfortunately there wasn't as much for him to pick out and joke on as Haze.

Darkefire

Jun 25, 2008
ShwStppnActr said:
He's right about the whole, "Things become less funny when they become commonplace," thing. No offense or anything, but Yahtzee's reviews never make me laugh as much as they did when I first started watching them. The first review I saw, I nearly cried because of how funny it was. Now, I just chuckle.
I'll agree with that. Despite his reviews no longer being laugh-out-loud funny, they're still quite on point. Finally, somebody else who doesn't think that Hideo Kojima is the second coming of Shigero Miyamoto. I made an honest attempt to like Metal Gear Solid, I really did. The first one had me bored to tears after 5 minutes, the second one had me frustrated by crappy controls after 5 minutes, and the third one had me dozing off after 5 minutes because I hadn't even made it through the opening credits yet. Most people don't particularly feel like sitting through mountains of dialogue that provide little to no exposition in between short and clunky parts of actual gameplay. This is where the Half-Life series shines because even during scripted events you never have that feeling of losing control, which makes it impossible to skip essential parts of story out of sheer annoyance.

There's something seriously wrong with a game dev when they automatically assume that their set fanbase will provide all the income they need without having to bother drawing in new fans. I can appreciate that a fairly significant fanbase has formed around the Metal Gear Solid series, which never skimps on the tiny details in graphics and story, but by leaving the basic formula unchanged they're not going to do much for the first-timer that doesn't have the time to work through the first three games. Maybe now that Kojima is done getting the military maniac out of his system he can get back to making the Zone of the Enders games.

DarkElfa

Dec 26, 2007
Awesome review as always, I quite agree about the endless dialog issue.

Search for traps Pooky.

Perhaps the Unforgotten Realms guys should have written MGS4. ;)

dojita

Jun 25, 2008
well i don't know, i think his arguments were legitimate, except for being bored because only one cutscene really bored me, the rest seemed very interesting and engaging to watch. this isn't the first game ive disagreed with, but the review was still very funny. and yes i know he's a critic so im not always going to agree... and also i wasn't a fan of mgs games before i knew this one was coming out and i played the first 3 and found them amazing, and then played 4 and found that even more amazing.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
I realy wish the escapist would stop adding 2 minutes of adds behind each zp. Yahtzee's own shorts were ok because they were his videos but if this continues he will have less screen time then all the boring shir we aren't interested in.

Purpledude1812

Jun 25, 2008
I'm usually not one for posting on internet forums. I know whatever I say will be wrong and at least 5 people will rush to 'flame the lamer'. However I must make a plee for sanity here, anyone else see the massive console/hate vs love war that transpired on gametrailers.com after they had the audacity to give MGS4 a mere 8. Do we really wanna get into that here not 20 minuates after it has been posted? It was a fair review at the end of the day and that's really all that matters.

DarkElfa

Dec 26, 2007
Asehujiko said:
I realy wish the escapist would stop adding 2 minutes of adds behind each zp. Yahtzee's own shorts were ok because they were his videos but if this continues he will have less screen time then all the boring shir we aren't interested in.
Bah, they're interesting and a far better ad idea than having to click an X during the opening music was.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Hehe, I think I can agree about the plot, I've only ever watched my younger brother play this, even he can't explain it to me.

Dec 1, 2007
The inability to stand without getting shot is something I had thought games had grown beyond.
Lay down, crouch, stand. Lay down is more accurate, crouch fires behind cover, stand runs fast.
Simple rules!

milanous

Jun 25, 2008
I am a self proclaimed fan boy of the metal gear solid series and a fan of hideo kojimas style and humour but i have to agree with Yahtzee, the cutscenes are way too long and Kojima seems to assume that we know alot of the stuff anyway for the entire game i wondered what the hell does PMC mean and i still don't know.
Anyway good review and funny as hell

rebochan

Apr 10, 2007
I have no PS3 and have never played a Metal Gear game, and I still find myself bored with this review because, surprise surprise, the vast majority of it was Yahtzee whining about his dialogue phobias.

Good lord, we know. Dialogue = bad, shooting = good. Can we get over it? I mean even the BioShock review whined about dialogue WHEN NONE OF IT WAS ACTUALLY INTERRUPTING THE GAMEPLAY. And yet the guy still claims to be a huge fan of Earthbound, which I still find doubtful considering the game has tons of dialogue, random encounters, and other JRPG goodness that should have had the man in an apoplectic fit within the first five minutes.

Then again, most of my bitterness is less from Yahtzee himself and more from the mewling masses that feel the need to parade around the internet and flame the crap out of anyone who dares have tastes different from their god. Needless to say, two pages of Yahtzee wanking within minutes of the review being posted does not surprise me. The fact that he actively discourages this and clearly loathes the hive-mind of idiocy that hangs on his every word is entirely lost on them.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
This is an amazing game (although you should play the originals before attempting to play this). You have to remember that Yahtzee is a critic (although in the title he says its a review even though he's said himself that he's a critic) and a critic is the noun of a person who criticises it

Chuckles

Jun 22, 2008
I like it when you review a game I've only heard of, but I love it when you challenge my beliefs in what is a "good game" and what isn't. I also like reading the comments as I snigger silently to myself at all the people who forget they aren't english and say things like "bloody hell" or "bugger." And then I remember these are the same people I share a country with and I kill myself.

Anyway, awesome job.

jadias

Dec 12, 2007
He's right about the cutscenes and all, but to my mind misses the biggest problem with this game.

It is NOT a stealth game.

I have played MGS and MGS2. I wanted to love them, I really did. But they just weren't what they were meant to be. The old Splinter Cell games (not so much recently, though) were stealth games because they were about more than just dodging enemies. There was some complexity there. Likewise with Thief. You could play Deus Ex like that as well.

But MGS is, and always will be, Pacman with fancy graphics. Sure, it looks great, but in the end all you are doing is moving around a mostly linear level avoiding roaming bad guys. There's no real 'stealth' involved here, just timing. And I hate that.

If you want a true stealth game, go back and buy Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and play the hell out of that instead.

PS - "PMC" means "Private Military Contractor". PMCs are part of companies like Blackwater who are hired by the government to aid in peace-keeping and VIP protection, that sort of thing. It's a 'topical' issue because there are loads in Iraq right now, and because some of them have a reputation for not adhering to the rules that enlisted soldiers have to stick to.

fortedash

Mar 30, 2008
If Yahtzee hates games with stupid story lines and next to no gameplay, I bet he'd hate 5 Days a Stranger and the other games in the series.

Majick

Apr 28, 2008
ShwStppnActr said:
He's right about the whole, "Things become less funny when they become commonplace," thing. No offense or anything, but Yahtzee's reviews never make me laugh as much as they did when I first started watching them. The first review I saw, I nearly cried because of how funny it was. Now, I just chuckle.
Same.