And just when I thought this thread had evolved into rational discussions over mango smoothies...SAccharing10 said:I actually signed up to this website to tell you all how fucking stupid you are, seriously.
First of all I don't think this game was better than the others, although I do think it was a masterpiece.
Secondly, you idiots crying about it not making sense because you haven't played the others? Hey idiots - it's a fucking series. Try reading Return of the King before reading the other two first, what? It makes no sense? Well done dipshits.
Thirdly if you want a story that's logical and stays in the box go read a novel by John Grisham.
Fourthly the gameplay is not 2 hours long, you're a simpleton. It's atleast 12 hours if you're not cheating or replaying the game.
Fifthly the AI is anything but "moronic." If an enemy thinks they've spotted something they'll check the area in which that was then the immediate area surrounding it.
Sixthly "The game isn't about stealth it's about timing" Hey moron. I think timing your movements to avoid the enemy spotting you or tracing you is about as close to "Stealth" as you can get.
Seventhly I do agree that the controls were slightly confusing, but after about a 1/3 of act 1 I soon got to grips with it.
Eightly the musical scoring for this game was nothing but incredible. Do yourself a favour and buy the OST for this game, the amount of effort and work gone into such a backlaying element to it is pioneering.
I don't think this game was the best game ever etc etc but it deserves much more praise than you fucking idiots are giving it. Yahtzee was right about a few things but if he doesn't like Dialogue in one game but loves it in another he needs to get a new job.
1) That's a nice opinion. Good for you.
2) The point wasn't that it "didn't make sense" the point was that it was such a clusterfuck that the sheer amount of information that was required to play as well as the torrent being thrown at you made the games story overly convoluted. To top it off, Yahtzee has at least played MGS 2 from the look of things and may have actually played them all.
3) Uh, think you've got something wrong there chief. "Logic" that wiley bastard, is required for ALL good writing. Even joke a day strips require a certain logic to them.
4) Oooor not? Since there appears to be a trophy for beating it in five hours, let's say the gameplay is six or seven...maybe eight.
5) That's fairly stupid. If you get shot, you aren't going to just go "Hey, bullets. Better check that shit out." You're going to go "AH, GODDAMN! Motherfuckers shooting at us. Tell me when you find him so I can get a few shots in, and don't stop till he's found...************ shot me in the ass. I'll show him..." Hiding in an empty drum should never be a good way to escape from people, for obvious reasons.
6) It's not about stealth period. The timing only works its way in on the harder difficulties. On normal you get enough weapons and health items to simultaneously level a small island and then bring half the population back to life only to kill them once again with the remaining bullets.
7) It's nice you came to grips with it. It still qualifies as a flaw though.
8) Nifty, something only tangentially related to anything people have said. Woo. The soundtrack may be the "bees knees" but it's not utilized to its fullest, which is odd considering the music usage in MGS 3.
In conclusion, read some of the actual arguments here you tosser before coming in with a "holier than thou" attitude. You got half the things people were saying wrong and to top it off end on one of the most nonsensical lines ever. By that logic if you don't like the dialog in a badly translated Japanese hentai game but love the dialog in something else, you need to look for a new job. Inherent humor of bad translations aside, dialog and it's appropriate uses differ from game to game.
...Here, I'll make this simple.Shia-Neko-Chan said:Did.... did he say badly written? Did he seriously say badly written and honestly mean it?
It's like he's.... 700 pounds too thick and behind mile wide, sound proof wall... I used to think he was pretty smart.
I didn't exactly agree with the gameplay points (transquilzer bullets only put people to sleep in one hit if you're on easy. Get some skills, Yahtzee. XD) but he made me laugh. I was expecting to be completely offended.
Read those. Instead of having me write everything out, again, just read those synopsis on Ocelot. Afterwards, come back and decide whether the Metal Gear Series actually has brilliant writing. I'm not saying the writing is god awful, mind you, just very, very clusterfuck-ey...I doubt that's a real word, but you get the idea. The writing could be exponentially improved if if was cut down a bit. It has the same problems as novels like "The Silmarillion" Its got a lot of good ideas, but terrible delivery.
Really though, why couldn't we let this go at the mango posts? I was hoping to end on a high note and came back to find this.