Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Lordofthesuplex said:
solidstatemind said:
Wow. Molten Rivers of Flame Galore!

I never would've thought it.

As always, Yahtzee's review was delightful, insightful, and positively spiteful... of course, that's what I'm looking for- entertainment- since I absolutely would not ever take his advice on whether or not a game is worth purchasing. He has way to many biases.
Y'know what? You're right. Yahtzee pretty much put this up at the worst time: right after I subjected myself to IGN's cheap attempt at gaining views yesterday. I'm just going to close this forum window out for a day or two and maybe come back after I've let this whole thing blow over.

Still I stand by my opinion: Yahtzee pretty much lowered himself to IGN and X-Play's levels what they call "entertainment" and I hope he's damn proud of himself for sinking that low.
Awww. You're just like Alchemist with your little "Boohoo, everyone's repeating the same flaws from this game and it makes me sad."
So I guess IGN and X-Play hated to too? Well that's one point in their favor, I guess...

Darth Pope

Jun 30, 2009
I'm stunned at the number of people who think a Yahtzee's critique is a legitamate indicator of the games quality.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Zeithri said:
mr_rubino said:
Zeithri said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Metroid Other M

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Metroid Other M.

Watch Video
I find this review to be, while funny, a bit meh.

[a href=http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid]TGP Episode 40 "Heavens to Metroid"[/a]
Much better.
Sorry Yahtzee but I'm betraying you on this one ;<
*slurp slurp slurp*
You're all linking to the same review. This is getting disturbing. Did Bobby-boy tell his fanny-wannys to spread the gospel?
How about you go troll some more then, hm?
How about you scamper off the board and let the next 3 of you toddle in to post that link.

Darth Pope said:
I'm stunned at the number of people who think a Yahtzee's critique is a legitamate indicator of the games quality.
Yaaaaaawn. You're the first person to ever post that. Again we seem to have issue with fans of games thinking that just because everyone shares a sentiment with Yahtzee, that we're just going along with whatever he says because we can't make a decision without being told what to think. Then again... that's how Nintendo hype works, isn't it? Guess I can't fault you guys.

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
AngelicSven said:
CriticalQuit said:
AngelicSven said:
Next up, Link will not be a silent protagonist any longer and he will be whiny and emo.
I really wouldn't be surprised if that happened.
No, I don't think they'll turn Link into Cloud.

Maybe if they made him like Zidane, but not Cloud.
Well, I think Cloud's emoness is a little blown out of proportion because he's one of the first emoey characters. Like I find Kratos and more recent JRPG characters extremely more emotional.
Personally, 'd love if he ended up happy-go-lucky like Zidane but the Zelda series has a lot of serious moments so I don't know. I'd much like him to stay quiet.

Gigaguy64 said:
AngelicSven said:
Next up, Link will not be a silent protagonist any longer and he will be whiny and emo.
I really wouldn't be surprised if that happened.
Well he isnt Whiny and Emo....but he was given character...
Most like to pretend Zelda 2 never happened. :/
I suppose it is a bit out of proportion. But my favorite character from VII is still Red XIII, because he's so detached from that main storyline.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
epsilon246 said:
Samus says in the begining Ridley was gone without trace and that she believed it was over.
Merely stating this is no use. This is the thing which makes no sense, Samus should know by now that Ridley is too dumb to stay dead. She has killed him four times, most people take the hint after one.

Never mind the fact that Samus is described in the Metroid manual as the greatest bounty hunter in the federation, feared by even Space Pirates. Literally, even before the first game Samus was the baddest ************ in all of space.

Edit: Also, on her not being ready to fight Ridley, his first appearance in Metroid Prime 3 catches her just about as unready as she can possibly be, he dives out of the shadows above her just as she unmorphs. And she just starts firing straight away, and carries on doing so as they both plummet down a miles long shaft. And now we're being asked to believe that Surprise Ridley is enough to send her into shock, and this isn't just a cheap mechanism to throw in a dramatic rescue of a character who should not in any way need it?

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Good lord. It seems like the two opposing factions (the ZP fans and the MovieBob fans) are lining up for an epic showdown. The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure that Yahtzee and MovieBob have nothing against each other, yet their fans seem to despise each other to a laughable degree.

Frankly, I like watching ZP and Escape to the Movies, but I'm gonna have to agree with Yahtzee on this one. At least in terms of what they did to Samus's image. I can't comment on the gameplay, since I haven't played it.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
dunnace said:
Can't say I agree with the review (that scene where the character sacrifices themselves was awesome!) but also the traitor subplot is supposed to be figured out, not resolved. The traitor is logically deducible, and is more fun that way too.
Yeah, when you put all the pieces together it becomes obvious.

Plus, you find his body after Adam kills him.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Zeithri said:
mr_rubino said:
Zeithri said:
mr_rubino said:
Zeithri said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Metroid Other M

Watch Video
I find this review to be, while funny, a bit meh.

[a href=http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid]TGP Episode 40 "Heavens to Metroid"[/a]
Much better.
*slurp slurp slurp*
You're all linking to the same review. This is getting disturbing. Did Bobby-boy tell his fanny-wannys to spread the gospel?
How about you go troll some more then, hm?
How about you scamper off the board and let the next 3 of you toddle in to post that link.
So you can continue to troll the board with your awesome **** size?
No.

How about you go and play your Counter Strike instead?
I smack you with a cricket bat. You hit me with one of those foam pool-noodles. Yeah, nothing new here.
Leave the stage already. I can see another of Bob's party-faithful fidgeting in the wings waiting for his cue.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Zeithri said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Metroid Other M

Watch Video
I find this review to be, while funny, a bit meh.;;[a

href=http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid]TGP Episode 40 "Heavens to Metroid"[/a]
Much better.
I have to agree with you. I just watched that video you linked to and I think it makes much more sense. Yahtzee does have a couple of good points (the 'Baby's Cry' distress call thing mostly, which I agree can fuck right off) but he was way off on other points. Such as there being no point to the destruction of Sector Zero. It was explained that the metroids faced later were unmodified and created as a test. I found even those ones (even though their number was quite small) a very large threat. If those freeze-immune ones were allowed to live, Samus and everyone else would have been so very screwed.

It was dumb that she couldn't turn on her Varia suit when she reached the lava stage, but I'm blaming Adam for that one since he should have authorised it the moment he knew she'd be going in there. That's what a good CO would do. Most other things I would agree with because it's justifiable. I mean, he generally authorises things when you need them, so what's the problem?

Besides, she isn't completely submissive anyway; towards the end she starts activating her own stuff when she needs it. Not to mention her running across the Diffusion beam and the Seeker missiles and activating them right away.

I felt the voice-acting could have been much better, but I find Samus far more interesting as a character now. She still kicks massive ammounts of ass (especially if the fatality moves and
laying a power bomb in a Metroid Queen's stomach
are anything to go by) but she seems more human now.

Mr.Lucifer

Nov 1, 2009
Once again the thread opened with yahtzee fanboys parroting his opinions. He's not the only one who criticizes samus's characterization in the game, many metroid fans hate his portrayl in the game.