Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
AngelicSven said:
Next up, Link will not be a silent protagonist any longer and he will be whiny and emo.
I really wouldn't be surprised if that happened.
No, I don't think they'll turn Link into Cloud.

Maybe if they made him like Zidane, but not Cloud.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Keep whoring out the MovieBob vid, peeps. The frist (second?) commenter demolished it completely and exposed it for what it was: weak straw men dressed up in pristine white knight armor.

epsilon246

Sep 18, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
epsilon246 said:
As a result of believing he was dead she was not ready to fight him and suffered an attack.
Why should Samus possibly believe that Ridley is dead? She's beat his ass down four times now and yet he keeps coming back. It's more of a surprise when Ridley doesn't turn up yet again. Quite frankly by now it should be him that suffers PTSD. The Space Pirates are already piss scared of Samus and shit a collective brick whenever she shows up. (seen in the scannable logs in the Prime games)
He was on a planet WHEN IT BLEW UP! He was deader than dead by this point, he was only still alive through federation cloning.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
AngelicSven said:
Next up, Link will not be a silent protagonist any longer and he will be whiny and emo.
Well he isnt Whiny and Emo....but he was given character...

epsilon246

Sep 18, 2009
Aiddon said:
epsilon246 said:
The stronger emphasis on story was done to appeal to Japanese gamers, thus has Japanese ethics. Samus' respect for Adam comes from the Japanese having a lot of respect for their elders. Her dogged devotion to him is ordinary by Japanese standards, where devotion to your superiors is a fact of life. Calling the game out on these is culturally insensitive.
On a side note; it has been established that Samus was mentally traumatised as a child, given what happened to her why is anyone surprised she has issues?
With reference to the Ridley scene, Samus has ptsd related to Ridley. As a result of believing he was dead she was not ready to fight him and suffered an attack. An attack that is actually a fairly accurate presentation of ptsd. Personally I believe calling this out to be extremely insensitive to real people in real combat situations with ptsd.
I enjoyed playing this game and I agree that Samus' voice actor was wooden as all heck, but it was still fun to play.
I don't think it was actually designed to appeal specifically to the Japanese as Nintendo has never really been about keeping things to one culture. However, as the writer for the game WAS Sakamoto, let's face it, people from Japan are going to write in a way synonymous with Japanese culture as it's JUST HOW THEY ARE. I am getting more than a little sick of comments about the Japanese; it's starting to get outright RACIST.

And another thing I'd like to bring up is military protocol. Yeah, Samus may not be part of the army anymore, but the GF has jurisdiction over the Bottle Ship and they have EVERY right to refuse her access if they see fit. Adam allows her to participate as long as she follows orders which SOLDIERS HAVE TO DO. When you're in the armed forces you obey your CO, you carry out orders, and you don't make your problems the problems of others.
I forget were I read it but the story really was trying to appeal to japanese gamers who tendprefer story heavy linear games more to open sandboxes and mission based shooters we westerners tend to prefer.

As for your second comment you raise some good points. Though I'd like to add that Adam is Samus's client; Samus is obeying the wishes of her client, like a profecional should

CynicalMarcus

Jul 27, 2010
luckey said:
sorry yahtzee, bob's argument makes more sense to me in this case then your does, so it looks like i'm gonna get this one
http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid
Oh, you mean the argument that attempts to validate a bullshit fan theory of Samus having post traumatic stress disorder? So I guess you'd prefer excusing away bad writing than holding the shit writer accountable for it?

Thanks for not having a spine, kiddo.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
CriticalQuit said:
AngelicSven said:

Well, I think Cloud's emoness is a little blown out of proportion because he's one of the first emoey characters. Like I find Kratos and more recent JRPG characters extremely more emotional.
Personally, 'd love if he ended up happy-go-lucky like Zidane but the Zelda series has a lot of serious moments so I don't know. I'd much like him to stay quiet.

Gigaguy64 said:
AngelicSven said:
Most like to pretend Zelda 2 never happened. :/

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Very hilarious review. But it also makes me sad because for a while there all the promos actually made me want to play Other M. Now that I know they've prettymuch turned Samus into a superficial female game heroine, I'll be saving my dollars for sure.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
This review returned my thoughts to the query:

When did female protagonists get trendy in games [or all mass media for that matter]?

Productions like this are making it awfully cliche. With the two sides of the scale being 'Normal person who happens to be female' and Paris Hilton, I for one prefer the former.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
epsilon246 said:
He was on a planet WHEN IT BLEW UP! He was deader than dead by this point, he was only still alive through federation cloning.
Which differs from all the other times he's been dead only in a trifling matter of degrees. In most Metroid games he explodes, in Prime 3 he is actually completely disintegrated, and he still comes back for Super Metroid.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
AngelicSven said:
CriticalQuit said:
AngelicSven said:

Well, I think Cloud's emoness is a little blown out of proportion because he's one of the first emoey characters. Like I find Kratos and more recent JRPG characters extremely more emotional.
Personally, 'd love if he ended up happy-go-lucky like Zidane but the Zelda series has a lot of serious moments so I don't know. I'd much like him to stay quiet.

Gigaguy64 said:
AngelicSven said:
Most like to pretend Zelda 2 never happened. :/
lol, this isn't Zelda 2 BTW.
Its the CDi Zeldas, the Wand of Gamalon and The Faces of Evil.
And they both suck......HORRIBLY.

I actually enjoyed Zelda 2.
It tried something different with the gameplay, didn't work that well but i still had fun...somewhat.
Zelda is just one of those series that works best the original way.
But you haft to Admit, the CDi Zeldas did give us one good thing.
MAH BOII!

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
If MovieBob is a Nintendo Fanboy, then what the FUCK is Yahtzee? And if you say creditable then that just proves you're a hypocrite, an elitist, a ZP fanboy who dreams of sucking Yahtzee's cock and above all a hack just like that bitter drunken Aussie piece of dogshit. As I've said in the discussion regarding IGN's little flame-war magnet "Killing Samus", MovieBob is ten times the gaming expert Yahtzee ever will become! And this review proves it!

This was nothing but Yahtzee regurgitating not only his biased anti-Nintendo smear campaign like always but the same stupid ass complaints about non-existent control problems, sexism, and character derailment that X-Play started up in the first place. So yeah, Yahtzee's pretty much lowered himself to the same level as the lowest form of video game journalism and I hope he fucking proud of himself for doing it. It just only cost him any chance at ever being labeled a human again.
Riiiiight...

So you'd label yahtzee as non-human for following other peoples opinion? Well if everyone is singing the same tune, then sorry chief, but the music is not the issue. Samus has had a major character change, and people aren't content with the direction she was taken in, end off. For all your swearing, it won't change whats happened. Also, whilst I agree that yahtzee is more of the comedian, rather then the reviewer, the kind of anger and hate your showing is not going to help you make your point.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
She's had a voice before, and in fact shared the voice actress with FemShep of Mass Effect...Jennifer Hale.

Why they didn't use Hale, I'll never understand.
Wh-aaaaaaaaaaaat? ;_;

They could've had her be voiced by Jennifer Hale and didn't?

She must have read the script and bailed. Through a plate glass window. While on fire.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
One of the best ZPs in a while. Also amazon.com finally decided to do their job, I just finished reading the first 100 pages of Mogworld. Everyone should read it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
epsilon246 said:
I forget were I read it but the story really was trying to appeal to japanese gamers who tend to prefer story heavy linear games more to open sandboxes and mission based shooters we westerners tend to prefer.

As for your second comment you raise some good points. Though I'd like to add that Adam is Samus's client; Samus is obeying the wishes of her client, like a profecional should
I suppose that IS true about the Japanese, but that's the first time I heard about that. Plus Sakamoto said in a recent Gamespot interview that he wasn't trying to be explicitly Japanese.

THAT'S the thing bugs me the most about Samus' so-called "submissiveness" being a negative trait. Yeah she's being submissive, but how is that a BAD thing? All soldiers have to submit to authority and so do all professionals. It's not like she's being meek. Plus butting heads with Adam would just muck up the mission for no reason other than to placate one's ego.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Optimystic said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
She's had a voice before, and in fact shared the voice actress with FemShep of Mass Effect...Jennifer Hale.

Why they didn't use Hale, I'll never understand.
Wh-aaaaaaaaaaaat? ;_;

They could've had her be voiced by Jennifer Hale and didn't?

She must have read the script and bailed. Through a plate glass window. While on fire.
I don't think so...I think they CHOSE not to use her, if my memory is correct.