Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Calibanbutcher said:
Vhite said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Best review in a long time.
I literally laughed out loud.
Shame on me for saying that
This. A really good one. I almost stoped to be his fan.
Why?
And what does "stoped" mean?
Do you like Metroid Other M so much?
Are you really so much of a pansy that you can't take it when someone says that the game is bad, or why didn't you like it?
Ehm... You misunderstood be. I almost stoped being his fan because there was such a good review in a long time.

rabidkanid

Mar 26, 2008
Even with the Birdie thing, it didn't really make 100% senses to me until the explanation. After that, I was able to piece together situations in the story and understand completely what happened with the Birdie and how one of the team members were killed by it.

rabidkanid

Mar 26, 2008
Even with the Birdie thing, it didn't really make 100% senses to me until the explanation. After that, I was able to piece together situations in the story and understand completely what happened with the Birdie and how one of the team members were killed by it.

eyedonutkair

Feb 6, 2009
se7ensenses said:
Nintendo- making the same game over & over & over since 1985. The broken record of the gaming industry.
you forgot to add 'and still getting the most money'.
Speaking of repeats, isn't it just great how everyone suddenly jumped on the 'gimmick' bandwagon?

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
I am pleased to read that many among you are already brainwashed into thinking that yes, a soldier must only obey and kill. Well done, military videogaming! You've got your next batch of cannon fodder ready.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Team Ninja, I would like to congratulate you on killing one of the most iconic franchises in video games. It's only been around since, what, the 1980s, and you've managed to bring it all crashing down in one game.

And I would like to thank Mr. Croshaw for helping me decide not to buy this game. Instead, I'll just play Metroid Prime collection and forget that Other M even existed.

and just so you can get an idea of how painful the voice acting is:

rabidkanid

Mar 26, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
rabidkanid said:
Wait, by birdie do you mean the Choogle?

I loved that thing! But Samus called it grotesque... *shakes fist*
I searched on the internet and couldn't find anyting official that called it a Choogle. It's just known as "Little Birdie" or Ridley's Larva state. If you have an official website that you got the name from, I'd like to see it.

rabidkanid

Mar 26, 2008
Ih8pkmn said:
Team Ninja, I would like to congratulate you on killing one of the most iconic franchises in video games. It's only been around since, what, the 1980s, and you've managed to bring it all crashing down in one game.

And I would like to thank Mr. Croshaw for helping me decide not to buy this game. Instead, I'll just play Metroid Prime collection and forget that Other M even existed.

and just so you can get an idea of how painful the voice acting is:

1. The story was created by a guy in Nintendo and he was responsible for the bulk of the stories for the metroids as far as I understand it right now, Team Ninja/Tecmo only developed the fighting and actual gameplay mechanics. Also keep in mind that this was CO-developed by Nintendo and Team Ninja. But no, Team Ninja is the new thing in there so lets all blame them even though it was a team effort.

2. If you are going to dash away the whole series as being ruined by one game when there are many games to choose from in the back cataloge, then NOBODY should ever listen to any opinion you have about games because it's obviously flawed if you think that one game can ruin an entire series of games, that have ranged from bad to excellent in and of themselves, in one shot no matter what your opinion on the game itself is.

Also, so Metroid Prime: Hunters repetitive gameplay, repeating boss's, short levels and underwhelming premise didn't irk your ire so much as to "ruin" the whole franchise, but this one game that actually has, for the majority, very well thought out actual gameplay action sections with it's main major flaw being that Samus talks too much when before she really never said anything says more about you and your faulty opinions than anything actually negative about the game.

Monk Ed

Feb 11, 2010
For the seemingly innocent Choogle to turn out to be a baby Ridley was one of the better swerves in Other M, so I don't see what's so stupid about it. It's not like it doesn't make sci-fi sense for Ridley to go from a bird-thing to a dinosaur; birds and dinosaurs are related, and Ridley's life stages are a pretty good diagram of dinosaur-to-bird evolution in reverse.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
VERY detailed post that pretty much picks apart why the story and characters are badly written. [http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/metroidotherm/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-56305892&pid=960554&page=0]

Kinda interesting read, it's also hilarious how many fans try and defend the characterizations and plot holes and the guy pretty much rips them apart with logic.

Also lead me to this.

Fifteen stupid responses to criticism. [http://plover.net/~bonds/stupidresponses.html]

Bookmarked.

Monk Ed

Feb 11, 2010
Flamma Man said:
VERY detailed post that pretty much picks apart why the story and characters are badly written. [http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/metroidotherm/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-56305892&pid=960554&page=0]

Kinda interesting read, it's also hilarious how many fans try and defend the characterizations and plot holes and the guy pretty much rips them apart with logic.

Also lead me to this.

Fifteen stupid responses to criticism. [http://plover.net/~bonds/stupidresponses.html]

Bookmarked.
Oh wow, talk about spot on. In all the crap about the depictions of Samus, I had completely forgotten or didn't notice all those other complaints.

It's true... Absolutely nothing that happens in Other M matters. It all would have played out the same without Samus. She didn't kill Ridley, she didn't kill MB, she didn't kill the Deleter, she didn't stop the ship, she didn't destroy the ship, she didn't save anyone... She actually accomplishes nothing at all -- not even slightly -- in her own game.

Addendum: The guy in that second link is a freakin' genius. Which is to say, I agree with him. Priceless: "...for anger is a pleasant sensation. To feel your bile rise and your blood boil, to feel a rush of fury ? why, it's the pleasure of being alive, of feeling some actual emotion instead of the constant dull fuzz of the easily contented."

Samus Aaron

Apr 3, 2010
lumenadducere said:
Monk Ed said:
lumenadducere said:
But Team Ninja apparently couldn't be bothered to learn anything about the franchise or the character they were working with, and thus they slapped some stereotype onto Samus and then called it a day. Add on the shoddy voice acting and it just becomes a horrible thing to do to a character that was once the best female lead in a game.
This is going to hurt, but... Team Ninja had 0 input on the story. It was written by Yoshio Sakamoto of Nintendo... the same guy who has always written Samus.

Wow, really? That...I mean...wha-

*head explodes*

That's incredibly disappointing. Now I'm curious as to what caused the shift.
No need to freak out; nothing ever shifted. Besides, is Metroid really known for great story? No, of course not, it's known for awesome gameplay, exploration, open-worlds, and worthwhile backtracking.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Monk Ed said:
This is going to hurt, but... Team Ninja had 0 input on the story. It was written by Yoshio Sakamoto of Nintendo... the same guy who has always written Samus.
Actually, not so much. The first Metroid game was more heavily influenced by Gunpei Yokoi, the second was entirely made by Yokoi, and the first two Prime games were more heavily influenced by Miyamoto, who was Yokoi's protege at Nintendo and wanted to ensure they matched his version of the series.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Monk Ed said:
Actually, not so much. The first Metroid game was more heavily influenced by Gunpei Yokoi, the second was entirely made by Yokoi, and the first two Prime games were more heavily influenced by Miyamoto, who was Yokoi's protege at Nintendo and wanted to ensure they matched his version of the series.