Zero Punctuation: Metroid Prime Federation Force

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
10,846
1
3
Country
United States
LordTerminal said:
Please tell me more about how I'm a ***** for pointing out that the game looked like ass, resembled the second worst Metroid game to come out before then (Metroid Prime Hunters) that the gameplay looked shallow and that it spat in the face of everything that made Metroid great. I have to say, I haven't really been proven wrong in any of these fields. At best, the general reaction to this game is that it's average. And the story elements of it really piss me off.

Also, you do know that making a new IP is a lot harder than a remake for a game where you can borrow assets and gameplay from existing parts of the franchise? Also that was a game that badly needed remaking. Mainly because A. It honestly surprased the original Metroid 2 and B. People want good Metroid games, something Nintendo clearly doesn't care about.

Yeah well it does have staying power. People wouldn't be getting pissed at Nintendo if they didn't care about it.

Yeah, that little tangent doesn't prove anything. People thought the game looked bad. It was bad. Mediocre gameplay and laughable story. No ifs, ands or buts. And unlike Nintendo, what Sony showed off actually looked good.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,133
717
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Y'know, I will admit, I've never really been put off by Federation Force. Honestly, the idea has some appeal - the universe doesn't revolve around Samus Aran. I'm sure the Federation actually gets stuff done. It's like saying that Aliens (the setting) can only function with Ripley as the protagonist (using this example as Samus was apparently inspired by her). Now, that doesn't preclude it from being bad on its own rights, but a game that explores a different aspect of the universe in a different way? I could get behind that.

Anyway:

GrumbleGrump said:
Which is weird, considering that Super Metroid alone gives her a few traits before gameplay even starts.
Such as? It's true that she monologues, but that's about it. It's a summarization of previous events.

SeaCalMaster said:
But FF does appear to set up something, and considering it's a game set just before Metroid II, I think they have plans for Samus.
Is it? The gap between Zero Mission and Return of Samus has become this nebulous blob of ambiguous time, since all the Prime games have been squeezed together in there. It's one of the few places in the timeline that such a thing can be done, unless you go back before Zero Mission or post-Fusion. Apart from that, only the Other M-Fusion gap is available for interquels.

LordTerminal said:
Well there goes my good mood for today. I've said this before: I don't trust anyone who bad mouths this game because that's all that people have done with this since it was announced and I'm under the impression that all negative reviews on it are just exist to tell people what they want to hear. Throw in the fact that Yahtzee has bad mouthed actual good games by Nintendo for petty and bullcrap reasons in the past and I'm inclined he did this just to pander to those same people regardless of what he says. Hell he likely did this as a self indulgent excuse to badmouth Nintendo. Even the comparison to Aliens Colonial Marines backs this up.
Yahtzee badmouths pretty much any game. He has his obvious biases, but it's part of ZP's charm that he doesn't try to hide them (unlike, say, Movie Bob, who indulges in them).

LordTerminal said:
Honestly, Metroid can just die. We have a market already oversaturated with space themed shooters, we don't need another one to exist. Especially when the only reason it exists is for Nintendo to have a space shooter franchise for all of the phlebs that only buy those kinds games in the first place. That's why it only sells in America. How about Nintendo just makes a brand new IP to cater to the older crowd that isn't a generic space shooter instead?
Metroid's never really been a 'shooter' franchise though. The Prime games have operated from the first person perspective, but it's interwoven more with exploration. Same thing with the 2D Metroids - you're shooting, but exploring as well.

President Bagel said:
Metroid Fusion came out way back in 2002 and we still haven't had a direct sequel to it.
Do we need one? I mean, Fusion is my favorite game in the series, and I've dabbled around with post-Fusion oneshots, and while it does leave it open to continuation, honestly, I felt that it works better as a series finale. Space Pirates are gone, Zebes and SR-388 are gone, the X and Metroids are (supposedly) gone, Samus is at peace with herself, etc. It doesn't preclude continuation, but there's many series that went beyond what felt like their natural ending point, and felt the worse for it narratively. I've never been that enamored with Metroid as a series, but right now, it does feel like it's reached its end point, and is filling the gaps with installments prior to said ending point. I can live with that.

aegix drakan said:
Apparently it's rooted in one main line from Other M contradicting Prime 3's entire plot, though.
The line is that it's the first time Samus worked under a commander/left the Federation, which goes against Prime 3, as she takes orders from Admiral Dane.

That said, it's making a mountain out of a molehill. Does Prime 3 get invalidated because of a line, or is the line a gaff? This kind of thing happens in fiction, especially when creative control is shared/passed around.

aegix drakan said:
c) Wait, we're still oversaturated with space shooters? Really? I thought the craze died waaay down after Halo 3, and we've gone through the Modern Military Over-saturation and into the "Sandbox Survival (probably with zombies)" over-saturation phase!
You can never have enough space shooters! Never! Never I say!

Well, okay, would have preferred it if Halo ended at Reach, but hey, Metroid fans get to hate Other M, I get to hate Halo 4. We can all hate together! :)
 
Jan 27, 2011
3,741
0
0
Transdude1996 said:
Ooh, that reminds of something I read a little while back. What happened was that back in the days of the GameCube, Nintendo's higher-ups had a meeting to discuss making a game that was a "Halo-killer". During the discussion, the heads of Nintendo's American division brought up Metroid Prime multiple times as being that game and emphasized that they should hype up Prime 2 to compete with Halo 2 (Both were released 5 days apart). Everyone else in the room dismissed this completely and they eventually settled on making Geist.
Call me crazy, but I'm actually glad that happened. Geist was a blast, and I cannot TELL you how many hours my friends and I dropped on the multiplayer together. It's a classic for my close circle of pals. XD

aegix drakan said:
Yay, another self-aware Sonic fan exists here. I'm not alone.
:eek: I'm not alone! There are other sane Sonic fans! PRAISE THE SUN! (/overdramatization)

Seriously, though, there are way too few of us. XD
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
10,846
1
3
Country
United States
LordTerminal said:
......zing. Yeah, not really, very few games can deliver on the sheer quality of Metroid games, along with the exploration and silent worldbuilding Prime did. And you're dodging my point on how you called people bitches for pointing out that shit stinks and that Federation Force's story sucked.. But please, provide me some examples.

Oversimplification much? And insulting me, great. Why deconstruct my points when you can just do that instead?
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,133
717
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
aegix drakan said:
:eek: I'm not alone! There are other sane Sonic fans! PRAISE THE SUN! (/overdramatization)

Seriously, though, there are way too few of us. XD
https://www.fanfiction.net/game/Sonic-the-Hedgehog/

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_News_Network

https://www.sonicstadium.org/

DeviantArt in of itself (shudders)

The Sonic fanbase is hardly small. Maybe on this site, but, yeah. And I say that who hasn't played a Sonic game since Rush Adventure, but still follows the speedster to varying degrees.

erttheking said:
LordTerminal said:
very few games can deliver on the sheer quality of Metroid games,
You just went full fanboy. Never go full fanboy. Especially not in a series that has produced installments like Hunters. :(

And admittedly Metroid's never been a big franchise for me in terms of level of investment, but that's my own bias.
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
10,846
1
3
Country
United States
Hawki said:
*Sigh* I would've thought that my previous post would've made my distaste for Hunters clear. I didn't think I would have to clarify it a second time. And I'm not sorry, I've not played many game series that impact me the way the Prime Trilogy has. So please. No fanboy labels.
 
Jan 27, 2011
3,741
0
0
Hawki said:
The Sonic fanbase is hardly small. Maybe on this site, but, yeah. And I say that who hasn't played a Sonic game since Rush Adventure, but still follows the speedster to varying degrees.
ummm...Please note the keyword "sane" Sonic fans. XD Most of the ones I've met are either Obsessive Classic-ists, Adventure Fanboys, over the top Fanfic nutters, or some weird variant thereof. I mean, there ARE indeed plenty of exceptions but... XD
 

Transdude1996

New member
Mar 18, 2014
188
0
0
Hawki said:
aegix drakan said:
:eek: I'm not alone! There are other sane Sonic fans! PRAISE THE SUN! (/overdramatization)

Seriously, though, there are way too few of us. XD
https://www.fanfiction.net/game/Sonic-the-Hedgehog/

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_News_Network

https://www.sonicstadium.org/

DeviantArt in of itself (shudders)

The Sonic fanbase is hardly small. Maybe on this site, but, yeah. And I say that who hasn't played a Sonic game since Rush Adventure, but still follows the speedster to varying degrees.
*Clicks links*
*Sees Litter Mermaid Sonic Version and Shadow and the Snow Queen*

Yeah...we're the model of a perfect fanbase.

erttheking said:
LordTerminal said:
very few games can deliver on the sheer quality of Metroid games,
You just went full fanboy. Never go full fanboy. Especially not in a series that has produced installments like Hunters. :(

And admittedly Metroid's never been a big franchise for me in terms of level of investment, but that's my own bias.
That's because it really hasn't been that big. None of the games in Nintendo's Sci-Fi Trinity (Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid) have really received much attention aside from their appearance in Smash Bros.. When you really square up the sales of each of the games and compare it to other Nintendo franchises, they're lower mid-level as far as attention received.
 

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
48,837
0
0
Oh hey, the game I would have bought if it featured Samus missions or an overarching story coming out of a mission like usual. Prime Hunters wasn't great but I still liked it. If I'm not Samus, I'm pretty un-inspired to be in the Metroid universe for the most part... I mean, sure, if a good alternative character was around maybe but not a random Federation bloke doing his day job...
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,133
717
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
aegix drakan said:
Hawki said:
The Sonic fanbase is hardly small. Maybe on this site, but, yeah. And I say that who hasn't played a Sonic game since Rush Adventure, but still follows the speedster to varying degrees.
ummm...Please note the keyword "sane" Sonic fans. XD Most of the ones I've met are either Obsessive Classic-ists, Adventure Fanboys, over the top Fanfic nutters, or some weird variant thereof. I mean, there ARE indeed plenty of exceptions but... XD
Well, I guess that I'll call myself an Adventure fanboy, in as much that I think that the Adventure games are quite good overall (and Heroes), and that the 3D games only started going askew with Shadow. Also written plenty of Sonic fanfic, but I will say in my defence that I've never gone down the route of...well...y'know...

(Seriously, how did AmyxShadow become a 'thing?' And why the hell are people so uncreative with OCs that it's always another bloody hedgehog? Where's my reptile and amphibian OCs ya bastards?!)
erttheking said:
Hawki said:
*Sigh* I would've thought that my previous post would've made my distaste for Hunters clear. I didn't think I would have to clarify it a second time. And I'm not sorry, I've not played many game series that impact me the way the Prime Trilogy has. So please. No fanboy labels.
I know, which highlights the contradiction in your post. "The sheer quality of Metroid games." So either they all conform to this quality, or they don't, and therefore, "sheer quality" can't apply. Also, having played Metroid Prime, I can't back up the "shear quality" in the scope of personal experience, but that's beside the point.

Yes, this is nitpicking, but arguing that "X is good" without backing it up is argument by assertion.
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
10,846
1
3
Country
United States
Hawki said:
Oh for the love of Christ, people make generalizations like this when they talk all the time. When people say "I like Fire Emblem" they don't instantly include tiny little things like "Except for this one game in the franchise that's kind of weak." And you didn't like a game that I did. uh. Ok?

I was stating my goddamn viewpoint on the series as contrary to someone who thought they should all go die. Someone who was derailing the argument in doing so by the way.
 

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
2,151
0
0
slo said:
As far as I know, op4 eventually gave birth to Counter-Strike, so that's that.
Counter Strike, like Team Fortress, is a mod that originated in Quake. Counter Strike was actually ripped off from the original FireArms mod for Quake as well. FireArms and Counter Strike were two of the first FPS entries to have weapon reloading, which is something the original Half-Life adopted from those mods. So no, an expansion pack that came after Counter Strike's release as a Half-Life mod did not inspire the mod that predates the expansion pack.
 

chadachada123

New member
Jan 17, 2011
2,310
0
0
Oh boy. And Yahtzee didn't even get to the ending. It's really not much of a surprise, given Nintendo's recent track record of demolishing all we hold dear.

The final boss is Samus. Seriously.

 

rgrekejin

New member
Mar 6, 2011
267
0
0
darkrage6 said:
Yes thank you Yahtzee for shitting all over this terrible excuse for a Metroid game, another bad thing about this game is the graphics look horribly outdated, seriously they look like they could've been on the regular DS(Metroid Prime Hunters looked better)
Having recently replayed Metroid Prime: Hunters, please let me assure you that no, it really, really didn't.
 

Allan Foe

New member
Dec 20, 2007
198
0
0
inu-kun said:
Maybe after all the people being pissed off as how Samus was portrayed in Other M Nintendo just preferred to not show her so no one could complain about that...
Considering how out of touch they are with the established fanbases for their games, it's quite possible. And of course the end result of such a misguided attempt to make people forget about their misstep would be everybody mentioning Other M and Nintendo's mismanagement of the franchise whenever the topic of Metroid comes up.
 

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
Allan Foe said:
inu-kun said:
Maybe after all the people being pissed off as how Samus was portrayed in Other M Nintendo just preferred to not show her so no one could complain about that...
Considering how out of touch they are with the established fanbases for their games, it's quite possible. And of course the end result of such a misguided attempt to make people forget about their misstep would be everybody mentioning Other M and Nintendo's mismanagement of the franchise whenever the topic of Metroid comes up.
And this is another reason why Metroid needs to die. It's turning gamers into tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists because only such people would ever think that was the intention.
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
10,846
1
3
Country
United States
LordTerminal said:
Allan Foe said:
inu-kun said:
Maybe after all the people being pissed off as how Samus was portrayed in Other M Nintendo just preferred to not show her so no one could complain about that...
Considering how out of touch they are with the established fanbases for their games, it's quite possible. And of course the end result of such a misguided attempt to make people forget about their misstep would be everybody mentioning Other M and Nintendo's mismanagement of the franchise whenever the topic of Metroid comes up.
And this is another reason why Metroid needs to die. It's turning gamers into tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists because only such people would ever think that was the intention.
Or maybe there's the much more simple explanation that Nintendo is fucking stupid. No tin-foil on my head, yet I still think sticker star was awful.
 

Transdude1996

New member
Mar 18, 2014
188
0
0
erttheking said:
LordTerminal said:
Allan Foe said:
inu-kun said:
Maybe after all the people being pissed off as how Samus was portrayed in Other M Nintendo just preferred to not show her so no one could complain about that...
Considering how out of touch they are with the established fanbases for their games, it's quite possible. And of course the end result of such a misguided attempt to make people forget about their misstep would be everybody mentioning Other M and Nintendo's mismanagement of the franchise whenever the topic of Metroid comes up.
And this is another reason why Metroid needs to die. It's turning gamers into tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists because only such people would ever think that was the intention.
Or maybe there's the much more simple explanation that Nintendo is fucking stupid. No tin-foil on my head, yet I still think sticker star was awful.
I'm not sure if Japanese companies are still this way a decade later, but...

It's not that their stupid. It's just that they're willingly ignorant about how the Western market works differently when compared to the Eastern market. This is misunderstanding resulted in the biggest mistake Sega ever made, which eventually caused them to drop out of the console race, and Nintendo only cheated death because of them introducing a new gaming demographic with the Wii.

Though, admittedly, Western companies are guilty of this to. Need to look no further than the Xbox as an example (Though, strangely enough, it is considered the "hardcore" console over there).
 

KoudelkaMorgan

New member
Jul 31, 2009
1,365
0
0
I was kind of curious if they would make this game into something interesting, and they could have easily done that. They could have essentially had you play as the Metroid Universe equivalent of Star Wars clonetrooper special forces squads going around the galaxy fighting space pirates and aggressive wildlife. You'd rescue survivors, protect colonies, do scouting missions, etc. Maybe it played like Xcom, or Valkyria Chronicals. Maybe it played like Resistance or Halo. Hell it could have been Metroid:Battlefront and let you play as literally every Metroid character or monster in the series as well as introduce new ones.

It could have been THE flagship FPS for people not into Splatoon on the Wii U and while not a traditional Metroid game it could have been really fun as long as the gamepad screen was used in a good way instead of like in the new Star Fox. Hell even the football mini game could have been an alternative to Rocket League on consoles.

Instead they made this, on the 3DS. While I can't say I've played it, I can see that the prevailing assessment is less than positive.

Personally I'm happy with the GOOD games we already have. My favorites are Zero Mission, Super, Prime 1, and Prime 2.

I like Fusion, but given that it kind of painted the narrative into what has become a dead end, and that it led to the abOMination that makes the good ones non-canon I think I can safely leave it out of the top tier.

The other games are all good, except Hunters which I don't remember much of but do remember it having terrible controls and graphics.

These days games like Song of the Deep, Oceanhorn, Xeodrifter, Steamworld Dig, Fairune, and Axiom Verge take the place of equivalent Nintendo franchise installments as I think the last game of theirs I got was a Link Between Worlds and before that it was probably Other M.
 

Allan Foe

New member
Dec 20, 2007
198
0
0
LordTerminal said:
Allan Foe said:
inu-kun said:
Maybe after all the people being pissed off as how Samus was portrayed in Other M Nintendo just preferred to not show her so no one could complain about that...
Considering how out of touch they are with the established fanbases for their games, it's quite possible. And of course the end result of such a misguided attempt to make people forget about their misstep would be everybody mentioning Other M and Nintendo's mismanagement of the franchise whenever the topic of Metroid comes up.
And this is another reason why Metroid needs to die. It's turning gamers into tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists because only such people would ever think that was the intention.
Pardon me, I should have used the universal caveat of "allegedly" before making that suggestion. The word "Metroid" allegedly does not exert some sort of magical conspiracy field that makes people go on wild guessing sprees, it's just what allegedly happens when there's a vacuum of information from the official source.

But if you are absolutely convinced that "Metroid" is allegedly to blame for all discontent in the gaming community and all of the annoyance ever expressed towards Nintendo in particular, I am afraid there's no hope for us, when it comes to the prospects of being rid of this vile menace! The foolish masses continue to perpetuate the term metroidvainia, the foolisher fans continue to make modifications of the originals and the foolishest indie developers never cease to make Metroid-likes! The World and consequently Nintendo are doomed because we couldn't do the right thing [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxr2PJ06Y4]. I weep for us.