Zero Punctuation: Metroid Prime Federation Force

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Heh! Metroid does rocket league. That's hilarious. Though rocket league itself now has F2P mechanics added with lockboxes and fucking keys of all things. How long after release is this shit allowed to go unnoticed? "Oh look, the game awarded me a chest! Now let's see what's inside...wait...I can't open it? I need to pay money for the keys?? You absolute fucking fucks!!"

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
chadachada123 said:
Oh boy. And Yahtzee didn't even get to the ending. It's really not much of a surprise, given Nintendo's recent track record of demolishing all we hold dear.

The final boss is Samus. Seriously.

Oh my fucking god... just when I thought Nintendo could sink no lower. This is some SERIOUS bullshit. Thanks Nintendo for taking a massive dump all over one of my favorite franchises and characters.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Transdude1996 said:
I'm not sure if Japanese companies are still this way a decade later, but...

It's not that they're stupid. It's just that they're willingly ignorant about how the Western market works differently when compared to the Eastern market. This misunderstanding resulted in the biggest mistake Sega ever made, which eventually caused them to drop out of the console race, and Nintendo only cheated death because of them introducing a new gaming demographic with the Wii.

Though, admittedly, Western companies are guilty of this to. Need to look no further than the Xbox as an example (Though, strangely enough, it is considered the "hardcore" console over there).
What mistake of Sega's would that be? The rushed launch of the Saturn or the well regarded Dreamcast that nobody bought?

I'm curious what you're getting at, and how it regards to a difference in culture between Japan and the Western world.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I dunno, Yahtzee. Even the Nintendrones have been pretty annoyed at this title existence, and the only thing that will come of the bad reviews are feelings of vindication. Its pretty much the one time Yahtzee gets to review a Nintendo game and not get called out as someone that just hates the company. Seems like only one, maybe two people have brought up that "grudge" so far in this thread. I am skeptical, however, that anything will come of it, because while a lot of people are annoyed with this game, plenty of people are still piling aboard the Breath of the Wild hype-train.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
LordTerminal said:
Your BS sarcasm is not convincing me. If anything, you just proved that several companies have taken Metroid's formula and done it better than Metroid itself. What does Metroid still have to offer after all of that?
I dunno, the METROID FORMULA? It's almost like lots of people are making Metroidvania games because the people that SHOULD be making them (Nintendo, Konami) refuse to do so for some reason. And despite their best efforts, even the best knockoffs haven't reached the peaks of Super Metroid. Not Shadow Complex, not Dust: An Elysian Tail, not Axiom Verge, not Ori and the Blind Forest, not Aquaria, and not Valdis Story.

People clearly want to play these kind of games, and Nintendo are buffoons for not knowing what their customers want. They've been on a roll with it really. They blew it with Metroid, they blew it with Star Fox, they blew it with Paper Mario, and they're about to blow it with Paper Mario again.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
LordTerminal said:
Thanatos2k said:
And despite their best efforts, even the best knockoffs haven't reached the peaks of Super Metroid. Not Shadow Complex, not Dust: An Elysian Tail, not Axiom Verge, not Ori and the Blind Forest, not Aquaria, and not Valdis Story.
Okay that's clear nostalgia blindness if I saw it. Super Metroid was good but it wasn't this magical wonder game that everyone keeps praising it for being.
And you're one of those "all old games must be worse" people, clearly. Super Metroid absolutely holds up.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Bedinsis said:
Transdude1996 said:
I'm not sure if Japanese companies are still this way a decade later, but...

It's not that they're stupid. It's just that they're willingly ignorant about how the Western market works differently when compared to the Eastern market. This misunderstanding resulted in the biggest mistake Sega ever made, which eventually caused them to drop out of the console race, and Nintendo only cheated death because of them introducing a new gaming demographic with the Wii.

Though, admittedly, Western companies are guilty of this to. Need to look no further than the Xbox as an example (Though, strangely enough, it is considered the "hardcore" console over there).
What mistake of Sega's would that be? The rushed launch of the Saturn or the well regarded Dreamcast that nobody bought?

I'm curious what you're getting at, and how it regards to a difference in culture between Japan and the Western world.
It was the Saturn.

To keep the story as brief as possible, Sega of America was looked at as the poster child of the company after the Genesis' success in the West. Sega of Japan took resentment of this (Because the Genesis was a failure in Japan) and proceeded to ignore any talk coming from SoA. This began with the development of the Saturn all the way up to the last minute release of the console (Which SoA did everything they could to protest, but you can't do much 10 minutes 'till curtain).

As anyone could tell you, the Saturn bombed in America, but soared in Japan. By the time Dreamcast development began, and the company realized how much money they actually lost, SoJ did listen and talk with SoA, and they made the perfect console, until the PS2 was released.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
LordTerminal said:
Thanatos2k said:
And you're one of those "all old games must be worse" people, clearly. Super Metroid absolutely holds up.
Why? Because I'm not afraid to not hail it as the second coming of Christ like everyone else?
It's a completely different thing to call others ignorant just because you disagree. Very arrogant behaviour. It's not like you have provided any strong evidence of anything in particular, and we already know you won't be able to so I would get off that high horse very quickly if I was you.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
"First the sequels (to Metroid Prime) were kinda shit (refers to Metroid Prime 2 as an example)"

DAMN IT YATZHEE!!!

Metroid Prime 2 is the strongest and only good one of the Prime Sequals!!!

You should have used Prime 3 or Hunters. Don't bring down Prime 2 as shit.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
"First the sequals (to Metroid Prime) were kinda shit (refers to Metroid Prime 2 as an example)"

DAMN IT YATZHEE!!!

It's "sequel," not "sequal!"

I CAN USE EXCLAMATION MARKS TOOO!!!

(But seriously, I'm all for ragging on Hunters, so I can let it go this time. ;p)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
"First the sequals (to Metroid Prime) were kinda shit (refers to Metroid Prime 2 as an example)"

DAMN IT YATZHEE!!!

It's "sequel," not "sequal!"

I CAN USE EXCLAMATION MARKS TOOO!!!

(But seriously, I'm all for ragging on Hunters, so I can let it go this time. ;p)
The only good thing I can say about Hunters, is that I like the designs of the other Hunters:

And I hope that possible Metroid game that Federation Force's ending implies that a new Metroid Prime game was being made with Sylux as the villain comes true.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
"First the sequels (to Metroid Prime) were kinda shit (refers to Metroid Prime 2 as an example)"

DAMN IT YATZHEE!!!

Eh, I dunno, I kind of have to agree with his assessment. I loved Metroid Prime to death, but I couldn't even make myself finish Metroid Prime 2. Hunters was actually pretty good, once you got past the absolutely terrible control scheme. Seriously, what was it with Nintendo and making DS titles that you need three hands to play? Starfox Command was a pretty good game (and one of the few Starfox games with an actual unique story) crippled by similarly poor controls.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
LordTerminal said:
Allan Foe said:
Pardon me, I should have used the universal caveat of "allegedly" before making that suggestion. The word "Metroid" allegedly does not exert some sort of magical conspiracy field that makes people go on wild guessing sprees, it's just what allegedly happens when there's a vacuum of information from the official source.

But if you are absolutely convinced that "Metroid" is allegedly to blame for all discontent in the gaming community and all of the annoyance ever expressed towards Nintendo in particular, I am afraid there's no hope for us, when it comes to the prospects of being rid of this vile menace! The foolish masses continue to perpetuate the term metroidvainia, the foolisher fans continue to make modifications of the originals and the foolishest indie developers never cease to make Metroid-likes! The World and consequently Nintendo are doomed because we couldn't do the right thing [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxr2PJ06Y4]. I weep for us.
Your BS sarcasm is not convincing me. If anything, you just proved that several companies have taken Metroid's formula and done it better than Metroid itself. What does Metroid still have to offer after all of that?
Ow, that hurt! I thought that was quality sarcasm :( But let's not get carried away, I don't seek to start a flame war and I respect your opinion in regards to Metroid, as it is presented by Nintendo, being old boot. But I've not made an overt suggestion that other developers have superseded Metroid in my previous comment, my own opinion is that the original and its inspirations may co-exist in harmony. For example, some of the indie stuff like the excellent Metroid 2 remake, while not made by Nintendo themselves, borrows heavily from the last 2D Metroid games and is all the better for it. And from the look of the recently announced Zelda it seems that Nintendo does check out various modern videogame trends (survival games, for example), and if they took making another Metroid seriously we could expect their own update to the formula. Additionally, I am not sure if any other developers tried toying with Prime's mechanics -- that is still an open avenue for exploration.

All that said, if you'd like to mention games or series that in your opinion make Metroid obsolete I'd gladly give them a go (where technically possible), or at least seek out playtrhough videos. For example, recent games with heavy Metroid inspiration that I myself played are Environmental Station Alpha (very much a "Metroid by any other name") and Ghost 1.0 (much Metroid-*vanier* than the last one, but still feels relevant to the formula). And while I've not played it yet, but seen it played, Axiom Verge ("H.R. Giger's Metroid") looks pretty fun. The listed titles are great entertainment, but I don't think any of them made me feel "Time to bury Metroid and dance on its grave!"

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
rgrekejin said:
Samtemdo8 said:

DAMN IT YATZHEE!!!

Eh, I dunno, I kind of have to agree with his assessment. I loved Metroid Prime to death, but I couldn't even make myself finish Metroid Prime 2. Hunters was actually pretty good, once you got past the absolutely terrible control scheme. Seriously, what was it with Nintendo and making DS titles that you need three hands to play? Starfox Command was a pretty good game (and one of the few Starfox games with an actual unique story) crippled by similarly poor controls.
The thing about Prime 2 is that its Hard, as in almost Ninja Gaiden level hard.

The game was clearly made for people that are veterans of Prime 1 and other Metroid games. But that does not mean that overall gameplay is bad.

Its the first Metroid Game that uses unique world designs. I mean Torvus Bog and Sanctuary Fortress are huge examples. And the world is arguably the largest of the 3D games.

The enemy designs and especially the bosses are also increadibly, even better than Prime 1 at times.

And I like the improved features like the upgraded Scanning and especially Logbook where it has model viewers so you can see the monters and items you have scanned.

All in all I just find Prime 2 the only good one of the Prime Sequels because it clearly tried to expand on the gameplay of Prime 1.

Again the only crippling flaw is its difficulty because it was clearly made for the players that have played Prime 1 or long time Metroid players in general.

Heck I can rank them from difficulty:

Metroid: Zero Mission - Easiest Game ever

Metroid: Fusion: a bit more challeging with it getting alot harder at the end.

Prime 3: The easiest of the Prime games thanks to Hyper Mode.

AM2R: despite it being hard at times, after playing Fusion and Zero Mission the game can be a breeze.

Prime 1: The most balanced of the whole franchise.

Super Metroid: I find this game a bit difficult still, especially the Ridly fight and its mostly due to the controls not being as smooth as Zero Mission and AM2R.

Prime 2: The hardest and most challegeing especially trying to get 100% completion, Only for Metroid Veterans.

Original Metroid 1 and 2: Dated Bullshit that can make you cry.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I didn't realize the Prime series was considered, "Non-Canon." Why is it that Nintendo is being deliberately as stupid as Sega was in 2004 and still has a fan base on the internet? I imagine they'll move to pachinko like SNK and Konami and still be loved by the nostalgic blinded fans.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Hutzpah Chicken said:
I didn't realize the Prime series was considered, "Non-Canon." Why is it that Nintendo is being deliberately as stupid as Sega was in 2004 and still has a fan base on the internet? I imagine they'll move to pachinko like SNK and Konami and still be loved by the nostalgic blinded fans.
The thing with Sega and SNK is that both companies were bought out because they had racked up a huge amount of debt. However, it's nice to see both of them bouncing back into gaming after those weird years. In fact, SNK actually closed their pachislot division. [http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/11/02-1/snk-playmore-withdraws-from-pachislot-market]

As for Konami and Nintendo, they have no excuse.

Jan 27, 2011
*scratches head at the GameXplain video*

...Leaving aside the narrative aspect, that final boss just does not look like much fun.

On the plus side, seeing GameXplain again reminds me that maybe I should play Codename Steam again. I'm not done playing all the missions again on Hard, after all.

Samtemdo8 said:
Heck I can rank them from difficulty:
I disagree that AM2R is harder than Fusion. AM2R had some hard bits here and there, but Fusion...The Nightmare and Space-jump Spider still haunt me. I tried playing Fusion again a few years ago, and the Nightmare is just plain nuts. Am2R didn't have a boss anywhere NEAR that nasty.

rgrekejin said:
Starfox Command was a pretty good game (and one of the few Starfox games with an actual unique story) crippled by similarly poor controls.
Ugh. It was fun for a while, but honestly that game was crippled by three major things.

1) The gameplay is fun at first, but after a while it gets really stale as every mission starts to blend together. Not to mention you have to replay the opening bits every time you want a different story path.

2) Half the pilots aren't fun, especially anyone in a Cornerian Fighter, which you're guaranteed to see reasonably often, because Krystal. -_- Seriously. Low durability, meh engines, twin lasers and no lock on? There's mediocre and then there's just plain trash, and that ship is the latter.

3) The canon story route is completely awful. Like, some of the branches are fun ("Star Wolf handles everything!" "Slippy fucks off to save his world with his girlfriend!" "Falco misses out on everything!"), but the canon path you have to play through to GET those branches is just terrible. x_X

The whole plot is just Fox refusing to deal with his relationship issues he caused by acting stupid and out of character, then finally resolving those issues, then the resolution being undone in the epilogue for what felt like no reason whatsoever.