Zero Punctuation: Mirror's Edge

Demir23

Oct 19, 2008
An awesome review as always, I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt as though Mirror's Edge had been a bit too over hyped.

Jobz

May 5, 2008
I personally loved the game. Story mode was way too short, yes. But the time trials and speed runs kept me busy for a while. I never had any of the collision detection problems myself but the lens flare was quite an issue in a couple of the levels.

Even still, the review was funny as always.

Azzaevil

Jun 26, 2008
why dose EA suck so much? only games that was good was sims and c&c even tho westwood made it, but anyway ea sucks

Proto Cloud

Jun 25, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
It was harsh, but it was funny. I also like that Faith = Hunter from L4D at 2:40

Oh, and remember kids - Mirror's Edge is Parkour, not "Free Running".
Same thing really. That's what we call it here in the states because we're thick and we think "Parkour" sounds gay.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
If he doesn't like falling so much, I wonder what he will say about the new Prince of Persia. ^_^

That's gonna be a good one. Hopefully it will come out in Australia before 2012 XD

Proto Cloud

Jun 25, 2008
Ryuzaki said:
Great review, I liked the questioning of the games storyline (that the government was evil). Games should give us some reason to believe what we are told, but sometimes they feel content to merely tell us how to feel without giving any real reason at all. Yahtzee pointed this out in DeadSpace and now again in Mirrors Edge.

Looking forward to next weeks review.
Doesn't that give you some nostalgia? Remember back in the day when you could kill aliens/feds/minorities/clones/ghosts/goombas/gansters/cops with no reason to back it up?

Makes me think of how racist some games were...

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
Eh, I rented it. Thought it was awesome. Never had any problems with fighting or platforming. But then again, I'm not half blind nor do I get motion sickness.

Still a funny review though.

gmjapan

Oct 21, 2008
You can praise the creativity or original IP all you want but it still gets a review as "diarhea slide" whereas the high numbered sequels, although lambasted for being unoriginal and killing creativity, still frequently grab mediocre to high rating reviews. I think something really worrying just occured...

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Azzaevil said:
why dose EA suck so much? only games that was good was sims and c&c even tho westwood made it, but anyway ea sucks
I dunno. Surely the SSX series, LOTR games, james bond games and some nfs games sure sucked ball hard didnt they?

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I'm just glad he mentioned it was an experimental game. I agree that the fact it wasnt the greatest game may be becuase of that fact. How many times did Edison fail before he creted the lightbulb?

Although I will say that for a game that was supposed to be based completely on free running on the rooftops, a tunnel level hurts me. I will give them that if you are trying to avoid the police a tunnel may be a better bet than a roof, but for a free-funning game it's a bit silly.

KS117

Dec 3, 2008
i liked the review but i may still get it anyway (though it has moved down on my list of games to get) because it just looks so different as you

i really want to see Gears of War 2 next because i thought this one was a lot better than the first and it was less dark overall in my opinion

and the gameplay was incredibly fun

Sayvara

Oct 11, 2007
*giggles*

Oh I love how everyone is blaming EA for this even though they havn't got a line of code in this... and the reason I love that is because actual programmers are swedi....

...oh crap, I just blew the secret, didn't I?

Anyway... massively funny review... scores a 4½ on the 5 grade ZP scale (MOH:AA was a 1, Bioshock a 5). As always Yahtzee shines the most when there are plenty of nitpicks to work with. :D

/S

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Oh, and of course there are stonkloads of games coming out at once because it's the approach to Christmas, so it's shovelware time!

apone1024

Dec 3, 2008
Good review, awesome game nonetheless. How can you praise Portal for its brevity but bash Mirror's Edge for the same?

And I thought the subtle ambiguity about whether or not you're actually a "good guy" or a "bad guy" (or girl, in this case) was kinda neat.

Safe-Keeper

May 7, 2008
Glad to know im not the only one who beat it in one day lol
Everyone finished it in one day. It's a short game.

I think first-person platforming would be exhilarating if it were implemented well. Unfortunately, this is EA we're talking about, so NO, it's NOT.
EA didn't make the game, DICE Sweden did. I'm glad you're not the one doing the reviews.

I guess you hate the Battlefield series, too, since BF1942, BF2 and BF2142 all came out of DICE Sweden ;) ?

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
It was harsh, but it was funny. I also like that Faith = Hunter from L4D at 2:40

Oh, and remember kids - Mirror's Edge is Parkour, not "Free Running".

its free running... parkour its going in a straight line from point A to point B no matter what, if you see a wall you climb it... if you see a gap, you jump over it... etc etc and free running is... free running you can take the any path to reach the end