Zero Punctuation: Mortal Kombat

leedwashere

Mar 17, 2011
Had me going at the beginning there for a few moments. I've never enjoyed Mortal Kombat, so a good ripping on it was a good way to keep myself occupied for 5 minutes on a wednesday.

Incidentally, Marty McFly would totally win.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Hey! I like new Doctor who!
And I hate fighting games, what does that make me?

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
iLikeHippos said:
Hehehe. It's banned in Australia and you publish a video off you criticizing it? Hmmmmm...

So long as it can't relate to you playing it, but than again that would be unprofessional.
A banned game can't be sold, it's not illegal to actually own it.

My friend is totally into this game at the moment. But Mortal Kombat never really appealed to me.
The blood and gore might be a part of the series past, but to me it's just pointless.

It was cool and edgy 20 years ago. But I've seen more limbs fly off in the last few years then I saw birds.

Also, why is it spelled Kombat, with a K?!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"But he like the new Doctor Who" Ouch!

I dunno, mostly this review seemed a bit flat, maybe Mortal Kombat is just too boring and old-hat to really hassle with spite. Or maybe that's just me.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Mortal Kombat to me is like the Saw of the video game world. Violence and gore strike me as the main seling points, which alone I can't get into.

The point about it degrading the 'videogames arn't all mindless violence' argument is one I can relate to as well. Nothing like telling your parents that it's not all about violence, then your mum walking in while you chainsaw someone in half on Gears.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Weren't customs threatening a huge fine for anyone importing that game down under?

I swear the Escapist did an article on it and everything.

timmybates123

Dec 9, 2010
I get that this game isn't high art, and someone could use it to argue that gaming as a medium is still immature, but you could say the same thing about 'Painkiller', a game that he loves. Mortal Kombat is just fun. No-one for a minute is gonna say it's art. Otherwise, great review, big fan of Yahtzee.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
He has an excellent point at the end, it would be far more enjoyable debating X vs. Y through this medium.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Too bad there are so many lawyers with figures in the pie, a AAA mugen with EVERYONE would be really awesome

Garfield vs Robocop, Godzilla vs Kermit, Abraham Lincoln vs The Bride from Kill Bill, Fat Elvis vs Bob Ross, Tom Cruise vs Hammurabi etc etc etc

JBGigas

Dec 19, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Henkie36 said:
Another great review.
Huh, I see you've perfected the time machine. I mean, that's the only way you could possibly watch a roughly 5-minute video in time to comment on it only one minute after it was posted...right?

OT:...What's wrong with the new Dr. Who?
Maybe he IS Dr. Who!

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
imnotparanoid said:
Hey! I like new Doctor who!
And I hate fighting games, what does that make me?
Somebody who probably had no real reason to watch the review?

The last Mortal Kombat game I bought was um, hmm, let me think. Oh, right, Mortal Kombat 2. Not looking to start now.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
ScarBrow07 said:
Marty Mcfly would win. Just sayin
Yeah, but it's not that simple. Sam would have the upper edge physically for most of the fight, they'd both jump back and forth between 1942 and 1990 then finally Marty would trick Sam into jumping into one of Biff's ancestors and send him driving into a truck of manure.