Zero Punctuation: Mortal Kombat

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
So the best thing to do for fighters is to essentially turn them into a punchy version of the Madden franchise?

Dear me. What could possibly go wrong.

BemaniAK

Jan 5, 2011
farq1414 said:
how did he get it?

good review none the less
Lots of Australians have the game.
When it really comes down to it, Customs don't open every package that comes into the country to look at it directly and try and match it up to a huge list of banned content/materials.
Hell, an Australian online store called ozgameshop had it in stock (Not that it lasted very long, and they're useless when it comes to re-stocking)

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I just can't get my head around why so many fighters are so same-y. Why has the design of 'memorize esoteric combos in a side-angle perspective' hardly changed in two decades?

Apart from being piss-awful, Final Fantasy Dissidia seemed like a step in the right direction. Three dimensions, quick and responsive platforming; it was like Kingdom Hearts or Devil May Cry if they had multiplayer. I want more of THAT.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I wonder what Yahtzee thought of David Tenant...

So yeah, neither Yahtzee's review not the fact that Mortal Kombat is being banned in Australia really aren't going to have a lot of impact on my decision not to buy it. Still, funny one this week. I did audibly laugh at the challenge tower thing.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Dr Sam Beckett would clearly win. The show had him kicking ass six ways to Sunday regularly, where as Marty just tends to get lucky or rely on cheap tricks to win.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
I thought 'Doctor Who' was was a silly kids show until Charlie Brooker convinced me otherwise.

brinvixen

Mar 3, 2011
BAH! That opener was HILARIOUS! XD

Whether or not Kratos was put added to the roster as an act of "desperation", I'm not ashamed to say I've fallen victim to the ploy. I wasn't even considering the game (never was a big Mortal Kombat fan in the first place) until I saw the one+ minute trailer of Kratos kicking MK character ass. I mean, I still haven't bought it yet: I'm waiting for it to come down in price (Kratos isn't worth $60 unless it's his own game, and not one he's just featured in), but I am going to get it. Sooner than later.

BemaniAK

Jan 5, 2011
teknoarcanist said:
I just can't get my head around why so many fighters are so same-y. Why has the design of 'memorize esoteric combos in a side-angle perspective' hardly changed in two decades?

Apart from being piss-awful, Final Fantasy Dissidia seemed like a step in the right direction. Three dimensions, quick and responsive platforming; it was like Kingdom Hearts or Devil May Cry if they had multiplayer. I want more of THAT.
Dissidia was an RPG masher.
Tourney players don't want games like that because spacing attacks and movement becomes too guess-y with Dissidia's camera style, not to mention there's very little mind work going on in Dissidia, it's very much a Rock Paper Scissors game.
And because Tournaments, and tourney players in general are GREAT sources for cheap/free marketing for the game, Capcom and Namco became very good at creating a middle ground where both casual players and Tourney players can really enjoy SF and Tekken (As opposed to Virtua Fighter, which Casual players completely ignore these days, or Soul Calibur, which tourney players laugh at, but is never played super-seriously anymore)
HOWEVER.
Tourney players worldwide all agree that Virtual-ON, a game with dissidia's style, but with a huge focus on long-range combat, is an incredibly good game, it's the casual players (The one's who enjoy Dissida) who, for the most part, didn't care about Virtual-ON, which is a big reason there's been a lack of "innovation" in Fighting games in the recent years.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Pretty sure the guy from Quantum Leap was an ex-military martial artist or something. I'm gonna put my money on that guy.

cream

Apr 26, 2010
I haven't been into fighting games in a long time. I traded in a couple games and got this game for $7.33, and I'm not disappointed at all. I wouldn't pay full price for the game, but $40 would be the most I would. There is quite a bit to do in the game to keep you entertained.

Either way, This review, like all his other ones, entertained me.

loogie

Mar 2, 2011
well it WAS one of the original gore-fest games that most likely started the whole "video games make kids shoot kids" fad.. I do remember playing it back in the day... but honestly, it's been done, i don't care anymore...

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
The new Doctor is bloody awesome, nearly Tennant class.

Didn't really enjoy this review tho, didn't entertain me like others have

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
Thumbs up if you're going off to play mugen now.
Oh wait, this isn't youtube.

I think I got a "I'm feeling too old now" + "too young" at the same time. Never watched the doctor thing, and missed the latest adaptation.

Hmmm...I'm probably not getting this game.

loogie

Mar 2, 2011
well it WAS one of the original gore-fest games that most likely started the whole "video games make kids shoot kids" fad.. I do remember playing it back in the day... but honestly, it's been done, i don't care anymore...