Zero Punctuation: Mortal Kombat

RavenDrake

Mar 21, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but the improvements they've made to the combat engine for this release tell me they're actually taking it seriously over and above just "peddling gore" (well, relatively seriously).

I'm well aware that the fatalities and blood are selling points for the niche the series has carved out for itself, the fact that they're still trying to improve and update the combat and add new features (however successful) means they're not just slapping violence into it to sell a slapdash product.

And who knows, if MK does well enough maybe we'll see reboot of Eternal Champions.

... or Time Killers.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I happen to like fighting games, it's nice to have a few games that I could just pick up, play for fifteen minutes and not worry about story or running across a world map to find something to do.

Kanaan Brood

Mar 24, 2011
I haven't owned or played a Mortal Combat game since the Sega Genesis days. I've never really seen the attraction for the series. To me, it just seems like flogging a dead horse. Not a fan of this genre, I guess.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
When I saw (spoilers) beating up the whole cast I thought "Is that it? They introduced all these characters and killed them off just like that? That's pretty stupid" At first I wasn't even sure if they were dead or not because of the way the game just moved on

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
rockingnic said:
Marty McFly would definitely win...
I give it to him too cause of all that herky jerky parkinson, you'd never know which way he's coming atcha! Head fake!

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Lots of good jokes in this one. I've never been a huge fan of fighting games either, good to know that I probably don't need to worry about this one. Also I like the new Doctor Who, is it because I'm American or something?

thebreadbinman

Jan 24, 2010
Mortal Kombat isn't trying to be 'relevant' in the same way Die Hard isn't a deep meaningful film about relationships within a modern day society.
They're both awesome because they're fun, not because they have something to say.
You literally spent one line review the game and the rest complaining about how it doesn't conform to your ideas of what a game should be.
At the end of the day, if it works and you enjoyed playing it then give it a good review, and if it didn't, then don't. I couldn't tell because you spent the entire time bitching about fighting games in general and how this game is too 'gory'. It's got an 18 rating for a reason.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
I like how Yahtzee reference M.U.G.E.N. I have a healthy dislike of fighting games and even I think that's an insult to the genre.

MK ('11) was pretty decent, though still as stiff as ever. While the amount of bones & gore in the game is desensitizing, I actually kinda respect that. They took the loved, dying franchise, rebooted it and flaunted their main selling point. Even brought back old stages/characters/babalities for the old time fans. Not many games pander to the established fans like that.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Imagine if they did have a fighting game where every single big character in the industry was in it. I'd like to see Sackdoll up against Duke Nukem.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I get what Yahtzee is saying about Mortal Kombat not really helping the whole games
are art thing. Its true that almost all games are a little like that, but I mean come on?
Mortal Kombat is what got the ESRB started in the first place. Yes it would have come
eventually but anyone can see how it got the attention of the Games Are Evil! idiots. Not
only is its violence insane (and by that I mean "how can he fight with a broken spine?" or
"how has her body been so damaged, but her top is still on?), also the outfits the girls
have are just a little too much, or should I say too little? I mean the one special opts girl is
dressed like a stripper would dress like pretending to be a cop! That is not what
pisses me off, no its when one of the other fighters mistakes her for a stripper and she acts
like she has no idea how he could think that!
Really?

On a lighter note, I can't believe Yahtzee didn't make a comment on how "Combat" is
spelled. Also mixing up the game with the first Mortal Kombat was great! Ha!

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
I'm tempted to say Marty, just 'cause. But I think the Quantum Leap dude would win easily by quantum leaping in Marty, then making him commit suicide! D=

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
The game mentioned at 4:44 already exists, its called MUGEN.

Only reason I got MK was because Amazon had it on sale for $39 so I feel I got my money's worth.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Some people are so uptight about this whole 'violence is the main selling point of MK'-thing. It's just a game, and an enjoyable one at that. It has all the charm of a B-movie. Play it before you criticize, please.

Southpaw Samurai

Mar 2, 2010
Everyone promoting Marty McFly's definitive win over Dr. Sam Beckett should remember that Sam would undoubtedly never appear AS Sam, but randomly would leap into any one of the game's other warriors (accompanied, of course, with Bakula's 'Oh boy...' line). So Sam could appear as anyone from Goro to Mother Theresa. Marty's chances vary greatly on who Dr.Beckett shows up as....