Zero Punctuation: Ninja Gaiden 2

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
one wonders if the fuax-leather clad Mr Hayabusa splashes lots of soya milk on his morning cornflakes before taking the commuter train to his hacking job in the city of soon-to-be-corpses - maybe every soya cloud has a milky lining [http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2008/08/even-soya-clouds-have-milky-lining.html].

DennoCoil

Mar 6, 2008
This is why I never liked the Ninja Gaiden series after its 8 and 16-bit counter parts.

The games got very hard all of a sudden with the recent incarnation and Team Ninjas penchant to port the same game to every other console with a different name, but with the same gameplay and story.

The first level on Ninja Gaiden Black acted like a training mode for the first half, then all of a sudden, I'm getting gang raped by 10 different very strong bad ninjas that stream in out of nowhere. Oh, and I like the fact that I already have a list of 20, 6-button combo moves in the pause menu when I barely have learned to use block.

For God's sake, I thought I was playing something similar to God Of War, with the gradual, but challenging difficulty curve. Not one of those "Hardcore" games where you immediately get killed if you haven't already mastered all the moves before the end of the 3rd level.

Every one knows that pirates are best anyway. Now I'm off to play a good game, Sid Meier's Pirates. :D

Feb 13, 2008
Meh,
same rubbish intro
same 'first time posters saying it's the best he's ever done'
same family guy type references
same pops at the gamers
same...just...meh
Oh and a pirate joke...how...average

Chemotherapy

Aug 4, 2008
This is the third in a trend of bad videos by Yahtzee. Im starting to become disappointed S(. Comon Yahtzee, get back in the game.

Malangyar

Oct 31, 2007
Kenkaku said:
Let me just get it out of the way before more uninspired 'good one' posts appear that I want Yahtzee to go back and watch some of his very first ZP/FR videos. I was wondering what was so different, in a bad way, about his latest films and I discovered that it's because he went from a very proper and professional sounding critic to an angry videogame nerd... and we already have one of those.

Essentially, he should stop yelling and sounding so excited as much as he should just sound like a carefree reviewer.

If you don't believe me, watch this video again, then watch the Heavenly Sword video.
I'm a long time viewer of Zero Punctuation and I agree with this. Yahtzee's style has changed over time and, to be honest, I prefer his old style.

Sure, he didn't speak as fast, but he sounded more professional while still pointing out flaws that no other game reviewer dared to talk about.

I still think he's one of the best, if not the best, reviewer out there...just...don't turn into another angry video gaming nerd.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
I thought it got off quite lightly. Spot-on review: a deeply, DEEPLY flawed but enjoyable game.

Chemotherapy

Aug 4, 2008
Malangyar said:
I'm a long time viewer of Zero Punctuation and I agree with this. Yahtzee's style has changed over time and, to be honest, I prefer his old style.

Sure, he didn't speak as fast, but he sounded more professional while still pointing out flaws that no other game reviewer dared to talk about.

I still think he's one of the best, if not the best, reviewer out there...just...don't turn into another angry video gaming nerd.
He may be the best reviewer out there but I don't watch his videos for the review. I want a good laugh every Wednesday and lately he just hasn't been delivering.

Bullfrog13

Jun 23, 2008
Excellent Review. Almost every criticism was right, however, I seem to be one of the few gamers who did not have trouble with NG2's camera. Eh, guess I didn't mind.
To all the people who say "Yahtzee is nothing but a troll now, look at " did you ever think that you might be the angry yelling nerd here, and instead, Yahtzee's review style is just naturally changing? Everyone gets more comfortable doing something after they have had success with it, thus it slowly develops and changes over time.

Heytred

Apr 23, 2008
The review was...passable, not your best, but not the worst. The gay CIA and boob jokes were pretty funny. However, pirates? Come on now, do you really think pirates are better than ninjas. Lets think about it. Ninjas are silent, stealthy killing machines. Pirates are guys who dress up in flamboyant cloths, and sail around with a bunch of other colourfully dressed men singing show tunes and shouting Yarrr while stroking large phallic symbols...errr I mean cannons. If your into that kind of thing you can sign up for that at http://www.gaycruisevacations.com/. This is the 21st century and if thats the way you swing thats cool, but I personally like girls, so I think ninjas rock.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Heytred said:
The review was...passable, not your best, but not the worst. The gay CIA and boob jokes were pretty funny. However, pirates? Come on now, do you really think pirates are better than ninjas. Lets think about it. Ninjas are silent, stealthy killing machines. Pirates are guys who dress up in flamboyant cloths, and sail around with a bunch of other colourfully dressed men singing show tunes and shouting Yarrr while stroking large phallic symbols...errr I mean cannons. If your into that kind of thing you can sign up for that at http://www.gaycruisevacations.com/. This is the 21st century and if thats the way you swing thats cool, but I personally like girls, so I think ninjas rock.
A picture says more then a thousand words:
http://www.demotivateus.com/pirates-when-was-the-last-time-you-saw-a-ninja-with-wenches-demotivational-poster/
Yea, answer thát question, when was the last time you saw a ninja with wenches ;)
Also, see exibit A: Ryu's suit, and ofcourse exibit B: his "relationship" with that CIA girl.

mrnelsby

Aug 6, 2008
Sorry if this has been answered, I'm new here, but is the "new themesong" for the reviews something Yazee approved, or was it something the escapist had made for him? I liked it better when it was a song chosen specifically for the review...

... ah yes, I'm a critic too ;)

terminator44

Jul 24, 2008
The claws are the only useful weapon in the game? Obviously, Yahtzee didn't get very far in the game or he'd know that the scythe makes all the other weapons obsolete once you have leveled it up to the max. It's also very satisfying against the exploding shruiken ninjas, too.

As for the rest of the review, it was good, but I just didn't get the simlie at the end.

Oh, and cyborgs pwn everyone else by definition alone, since cyborg -anything is better than the original (cyborg ninja, cyborg pirate, cyborg Viking, etc.).

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
The phrase "kill they ass" made me laugh so hard that I had to pause the video because I couldn't hear anything else that was going on after that.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
terminator44 said:
The claws are the only useful weapon in the game? Obviously, Yahtzee didn't get very far in the game or he'd know that the scythe makes all the other weapons obsolete once you have leveled it up to the max. It's also very satisfying against the exploding shruiken ninjas, too.

As for the rest of the review, it was good, but I just didn't get the simlie at the end.

Oh, and cyborgs pwn everyone else by definition alone, since cyborg -anything is better than the original (cyborg ninja, cyborg pirate, cyborg Viking, etc.).
I found the scythe way to slow, for a long-reach weapon I rather get the mini-scythe on the chain, thát one is kick-ass against hordes of ninja's, especially when you do a charge-up attack <3

mrnelsby

Aug 6, 2008
Oh, and as far as the weapons go, I love the vigorian flail or whatever it is called, you get it right before the double dragon bosses.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I don't agree. Ninjas are much better than pirates.
This review is a great return to form for Yahtzee. I felt that in some of the previous reviews (Conan) he was kind of slipping. Nice to see more funny shit.