Zero Punctuation: Nintendo 3DS

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Draconalis said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilotwings_64

Pilot wings is a port too.
I haven't played either one, but it sounds like it's a sequel. A port would be the exact ''same'' game, possibly with updated graphics. Same levels, same characters, etc. Is that the case?

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Evryones waiting for positive portal review?
People please, Yahtzee himself said with bioshock 2 review that a good sequel transcends the original while a bad sequel wallovs in original crap. Other than new story 1 new character and couple of new gimicks, how exactly does Portal 2 differ from the orginal? Im calling a disappointed review.
That said it's not a bad game. Had a bundle of laughs with it.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
yahtzee should review every console that comes out...

Oh and it was weird, the first time I played the sound kept playing after I told it to stop and I told it go and it started from the start with that later one still playing... very, "row row row your boat"-esque. :D

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah. Nintendo probably should have waited until May and just released the 3DS the internet browser/eShop/other stuff functionality in it straight away and also worked on getting more games at launch. Making people wait two months before it does everything it's supposed to and then even longer to get some games that are quality ports instead of shitty Ubisoft ports wasn't their smartest idea.

Oblarg

Apr 9, 2009
So, I had the opportunity to use a 3ds for a few minutes this morning, and the viewing angle really is absolute shit. Yeah, parallax-based selective pixel blocking is clever, but it simply doesn't fucking work when you have to keep the goddamn thing absolutely still because the viewing angle spans all of ten degrees. Add to this the fact that 3d gaming will never be particularly immersive until it's effectively paired with head tracking (something the narrow viewing angle does not allow) and I think I'll pass on this pocket console.

Also, why the hell did they feel the need to have a depth slider? The distance between human eyes doesn't vary that much...

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Enlong said:
I haven't played either one, but it sounds like it's a sequel. A port would be the exact ''same'' game, possibly with updated graphics. Same levels, same characters, etc. Is that the case?
Given the content of the game, (it completely lacked a story to my recollection, it's been a few years though) I'm more incline to say it's more of a port than all the Zeldas after OoC

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Positively hilarious video. The best one in a while.

The elementary school segment literally had me bend over laughing.

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2! Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2! Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!Portal 2!

Just sayin'. I'm interested.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Good enough review but I can never understand Yahtzee's insistence that all the Zelda games are the same. The major home console releases change greatly from one game to the next, especially when put beside a series like Call of Duty or even GTA.

Ocarina was the first 3D one.

Majora's Mask had the "masks" thing and the "3 days" thing added so much to the depth of the game, especially for things like side quests. It wasn't just a time limit on dungeons like I had expected.

Wind Waker had a completely different art direction and overworld (lots of tiny islands with a few big ones instead of a field with a few towns). Once again, it totally changed the way of doing sidequests compared to MM or OoT.

An Twilight Princess, while looking a bit like OoT again in terms of art direction was still very much its own game. It was probably the most like a bigger OoT but there were still the wolf/twilight sections to add something new.

Even the plot changes greatly between the games when you look at it closer than "kid saves world, there's a princess in there somewher". I think Yahtzee just gets annoyed because the standard weapons (sword, bow, boomerang and bombs) show up in every one but even then, every game has introduced a few weapons/items of its own.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Draconalis said:
Enlong said:
Given the content of the game, (it completely lacked a story to my recollection, it's been a few years though) I'm more incline to say it's more of a port than all the Zeldas after OoC
Well, I agree with you that the whole "Zelda's exactly the same" thing isn't quite true.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
hurricanejbb said:
I laughed way too hard at "Senor Koquonfaes".
Same here, I laughed my ass off at that joke and his reactions to finding a bunch of kids of his 3DS to get a bunch of hits off of.

First: Fucking Jackpot!
Second: What the hell is wrong with me?!

Those two lines just slayed me.

iron skirt

Oct 24, 2009
well this is all veary non portal2 i hope yuore next episode will be more portal 2 then this one.
still funny though

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Great review, had me laughing which has been rare for alot of his recent stuff, started to get a bit samey after the first year or so.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
Enlong said:
DoctorPhil said:
Can't remember the last time I saw such a funny ZP.
Really?

I mean, it was OK, but as someone else said, his Nintendo-based reviews are becoming kinda predictable. It's always "Nintendo is cashing in on weak stuff when it's not failing hard", "Motion Controls are a dying breed", "sequels are horrible", "HAHAHA Zelda", "I'll be proven right" in some order.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't biased, but I kinda prefer ones where he's not banging on about Nintendo. Because, whether I agree with them or not, they're more funny.
True, but the parts about Señor koquonfaes and gobulcoque had me in stitches, but maybe that's just my juvenile sense of humor.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I showed my 3ds to my brother(who moved out a year ago and recently got married in DEC) this past easter and he said while it's cool, the 3d gave him a headache.

FYI Yatzee please post the QR code for your Mii I will be eturnally greatful.