Zero Punctuation: Papers, Please and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
CaptainChip said:
ErinBeee said:
tifa77 said:
ErinBeee said:
tifa77 said:
Look up his black opps 2 review for white male/America bashing. We live in such a special snowflake society nowadays that the western world is rapidly turning into a joke. Instead of secret police we have white knights publicly shaming people for having different view than their own or for hurting their feelings.

Your rights end where my feelings begin.
Yep, because bashing the most priviliged group in society is going to lead to increased suicide rates? Bashing the most discriminated against group? probably.
It was one joke. It wasn't some kind of manifesto against trans people. Go watch Elysium to see how evil white people are. What goes around, comes around.
Of course it was just one joke. But it's one joke in a sea of things with "that one trans joke"...

it all adds up
There aren't even that many trans jokes to begin with. I've heard way more jokes about every other ethnic and sex group there is then there are jokes about trans.
You obviously watch very little TV and I can't fault you for that.

http://badtransjokes.tumblr.com/

undercisjudgement

Aug 22, 2013
Greetings,

I was inspired to create this account when I saw the initial post on Tumblr.

Most of you seem like very bright, intelligent individuals. But underlying your words seems to be a cruel streak towards the LBGT, Trans, and Otherkin community.

Sexuality is a defining part of many people, and Crowshaw's blatant disregard for that by blatantly utilizing a harmful, hurtful, and graphic slur against us.

I'm formally urging the Escapist staff to take down the video and have Crowshaw reassess his use of this slur.

Thank you in advance.

CaptainChip

Jul 8, 2012
JudgeGame said:
CaptainChip said:
ErinBeee said:
tifa77 said:
ErinBeee said:
tifa77 said:
Look up his black opps 2 review for white male/America bashing. We live in such a special snowflake society nowadays that the western world is rapidly turning into a joke. Instead of secret police we have white knights publicly shaming people for having different view than their own or for hurting their feelings.

Yep, because bashing the most priviliged group in society is going to lead to increased suicide rates? Bashing the most discriminated against group? probably.
It was one joke. It wasn't some kind of manifesto against trans people. Go watch Elysium to see how evil white people are. What goes around, comes around.
Of course it was just one joke. But it's one joke in a sea of things with "that one trans joke"...

it all adds up
There aren't even that many trans jokes to begin with. I've heard way more jokes about every other ethnic and sex group there is then there are jokes about trans.

Holy hell, a whole 6 pages of trans jokes! Half of which aren't actually jokes but "Hey, this character right here is a trans!" So many compared to the thousands of men, women, white, black, asian, gay, straight, etc jokes there are for each!

ErinBeee

Aug 22, 2013
CaptainChip said:
ErinBeee said:
CaptainChip said:
ErinBeee said:
tifa77 said:
ErinBeee said:
tifa77 said:

it all adds up
The difference is every other group has much more exposure. You see a ton of stuff about gay people, people of colour, etc etc all over the place. Trans people on the other hand. You see nothing and hear nothing other than the jokes
You don't even hear about the jokes. You usually hear about parents proudly raising trans kids or trans getting murdered for being trans or trans fighting for bathroom rights. Trans jokes are a rarity.
The point is, they don't help. They make things worse for a group that already has it worse than almost any other group in terms of acceptance. Maybe a joke at the expense of a white middle class cis man doesn't hurt their acceptance by society, but that's what privilige is about. Trans people don't have that luxury, and just because it wouldn't hurt your particular intersection of privilige, doesn't mean it doesn't make things worse for others if it's directed at them.

Olikar

Sep 4, 2012
JudgeGame said:
CaptainChip said:
ErinBeee said:
tifa77 said:
ErinBeee said:
tifa77 said:

it all adds up

I read through the first few posts on that blog and I didn't see a single problem with any of the supposedly 'transphobic' jokes.

undercisjudgement

Aug 22, 2013
Greetings,

Most of you seem like very bright, intelligent individuals. But underlying your words seems to be a cruel streak towards the LBGT, Trans, and Otherkin community.

Sexuality is a defining part of many people, and Crowshaw's blatant disregard for that by blatantly utilizing a harmful, hurtful, and graphic slur against us.

I'm formally urging the Escapist staff to take down the video and have Crowshaw reassess his use of this slur.

Thank you in advance.

BrendanFinn

Apr 16, 2012
ErinBeee said:
The point is, they don't help. They make things worse for a group that already has it worse than almost any other group in terms of acceptance. Maybe a joke at the expense of a white middle class cis man doesn't hurt their acceptance by society, but that's what privilige is about. Trans people don't have that luxury, and just because it wouldn't hurt your particular intersection of privilige, doesn't mean it doesn't make things worse for others if it's directed at them.
As a middle class white cis man allow me to tell you that what hurts your social acceptance in my eyes isn't the jokes about trannies, but rather your whining regarding them. Instead of just laughing a joke, replying with a joke of your own regarding us CIS scum, you whine and act like spoilt brats.

Fact of the matter is that if you simply ignored it majority of people wouldn't even notice this joke in Yahtzee's video.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
undercisjudgement said:
Greetings,

Thank you in advance.
I'd recommend you look up the rest of the series. There's plenty of holocaust, homosexual, S&M, rape and grievous bodily harm jokes. If there must be a joke that Yahtzee should be punished for, I don't think it would be the one in this episode.

CaptainChip

Jul 8, 2012
BrendanFinn said:
ErinBeee said:
As a middle class white cis man allow me to tell you that what hurts your social acceptance in my eyes isn't the jokes about trannies, but rather your whining regarding them. Instead of just laughing a joke, replying with a joke of your own regarding us CIS scum, you whine and act like spoilt brats.

Fact of the matter is that if you simply ignored it majority of people wouldn't even notice this joke in Yahtzee's video.
THIS. I absolutely agree with this post.

edit: Who do you think people are going to like more, the person who is relaxed, can take a joke, and maybe even joke back, or the person who is constantly offended and starting fights?

emmyisnotcool

Jul 21, 2013
CoronaryThrombosis said:
emmyisnotcool said:
They are not guys though. They are transsexual women, regardless of the status of their genitalia. Do research before you go off spouting uneducated opinions.
Genetics be damned according to you. At what point does a Y chromosome factor in to your purportedly "educated" analysis? Subjective analysis = making shit up. STANDARDS - they're important. If "status of their genitalia" and Y chromosomes don't factor in at all, then there isn't a determining factor for gender. If that's the case, I'm going to claim I'm a black woman and take advantage of affirmative action right now. If anyone points out my light skin and penis, I'm going to chastise them for spouting off uneducated opinions.

And just to clear some things up:

I will NEVER commit suicide on another person. Also, I won't take responsibility for the actions of others. If transsexual people want to kill themselves that's their business. I will do nothing to stand in the way of people's rights of self-determination; whether that be their right to determine for themselves what gender/sexuality they will exhibit or whether or not they should be alive.

capcha: wild goose chase -- we're getting there
Uh. What the fuck? All I said was that calling a transsexual woman a "tranny" is pretty much the same as calling a gay man a "fag".

undercisjudgement

Aug 22, 2013
CoronaryThrombosis said:
undercisjudgement said:
Greetings,

Thank you in advance.
:0 I am in the lab, laughing hysterically to myself, and giving away that I'm not working right now. Thank you trolls of Escapist for brightening my afternoon.
I don't take your meaning.

Evonisia said:
undercisjudgement said:
Greetings,

Thank you in advance.
I'd recommend you look up the rest of the series. There's plenty of holocaust, homosexual, S&M, rape and grievous bodily harm jokes. If there must be a joke that Yahtzee should be punished for, I don't think it would be the one in this episode.
Honestly, I don't need to see any more of Crowshaw's work. And yes, I'm sure he does "make fun" of other groups. It's just that they are not well represented on the Internet. The Trans Community is very well engaged and it shouldn't be surprising that this came to our attention relatively quickly.

It's hurtful and it needs to be taken down.

You people joke about the gap between name calling and violence but many of us have been assaulted, sexually and otherwise, because of our sexual identities.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
emmyisnotcool said:
Uh. What the fuck? All I said was that calling a transsexual woman a "tranny" is pretty much the same as calling a gay man a "fag".
Perfectly fine depending on context?

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Guys, this is why we can't have nice things... Yahtzee didn't direct it at anyone and it was meant in pure humor, not malice. Now, before you go quoting me saying I'm insensitive towards the LGBT community you should know that I'm in the LGBT community.

Just gonna leave this bit from Steve Hughes' standup for all you arguing about this.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b48_1305790944

emmyisnotcool

Jul 21, 2013
wAriot said:
emmyisnotcool said:
Perfectly fine depending on context?
Yes. It does depend on context. A trans person calling themselves a tranny is alright (akin to the use of any slur in reference to oneself). It can be okay when among friends because you are close enough and know each other enough to know that no offense is intended. Some random stranger referring to a whole group of people using those same words in a derogatory way is not the same as the prior examples. I'm not talking about yahtzee here, but any of the numerous posts referring to trans people as trannies/heshes/shemales/its etc...

BrendanFinn

Apr 16, 2012
CaptainChip said:
THIS. I absolutely agree with this post.

edit: Who do you think people are going to like more, the person who is relaxed, can take a joke, and maybe even joke back, or the person who is constantly offended and starting fights?
The way I see it it's like there's a group of friends and they're all out there getting drunk and taking a piss out of each other for a laugh or two. There's this tranny among them and he's joining in laughing at the jokes making fun of that guy for being Jewish, laughing at a joke taking a piss of that ginger guy, laughing at a joke taking a mick out of that asian dude and suddenly someone cracks a tranny joke and he gets all worked up about it and starts bitching and moaning.

Of course you're gonna cast him out of your little group (the social rejection), but not because he's a tranny but because he's an asshole that can't take a joke at his expense but doesn't have a problem laughing at jokes that are on the expense of others. Fuck that guy right? Who gives two shits about what he is and what he feels like, if we're all taking a piss out of each other and you're in the group, you're gonna have a piss taken out of you as well.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
emmyisnotcool said:
Yes. It does depend on context. A trans person calling themselves a tranny is alright (akin to the use of any slur in reference to oneself). It can be okay when among friends because you are close enough and know each other enough to know that no offense is intended. Some random stranger referring to a whole group of people using those same words in a derogatory way is not the same as the prior examples. I'm not talking about yahtzee here, but any of the numerous posts referring to trans people as trannies/heshes/shemales/its etc...
Of course, I don't defend the use of "tranny" and other slurs, in a DEROGATORY way.
But many people just use it to shorten the word, not because they see negative connotations in it. I personally even find "tranny" cute, but that's just me.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Wow, this thread really TRANSformed into a shitstorm hey? :p

OT: It's just one joke out of the thousands that Yahtzee has made. And I love how nobody is taking offense to the gas chambers joke.

If ya'll had your way comedians wouldn't exist and the world would be a much sadder place.

Miroluck

Jun 5, 2013
undercisjudgement said:
Honestly, I don't need to see any more of Crowshaw's work. And yes, I'm sure he does "make fun" of other groups. It's just that they are not well represented on the Internet. The Trans Community is very well engaged and it shouldn't be surprising that this came to our attention relatively quickly.

It's hurtful and it needs to be taken down.
And here we go. I always knew mulders were fond of fascism.