Zero Punctuation: Pikmin 3

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Plunkies said:
Holocaust jokes and animal cruelty are fine, just don't call a man with a penis a man or someone might be offended. Crap. I said man. That's offensive. I meant "person of uncertain gender until he/she/it tells me what gender they prefer to be called" instead. I've learned it's not about what they factual are but what they feeeeel they are, otherwise you're supporting the evil white patriarchy and suppressing their civil rights.
What does that have to do with the price of beer?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yes guys he changed a joke. You can stop commenting on how offended Germans should be about this episode. A joke stops being funny when twenty people all say it at the same time.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
You know, I could already sense the amount posters waiting behind the bleachers with baseball bats for this Zero Punctuation, aching to get a crack at Yahtzee.
Genocidicles said:
I'm sorry but the references to the Battle of Somme were highly distressing to me. The Battle of Somme is one of the bloodiest battles in human history, where over a million men were wounded or killed. It makes me sick that such a thing was made light of, and I request that it be changed.

I can't in good conscience continue watching Zero Punctuation after that. It made me feel uneasy, and I'm ashamed Mr Croshaw brought it up.
The combination of these two posts had me in a laughing fit. I read Shinji's first, then scrolled up to see what he was talking about.

Tee hee.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Also the fact that it was written by someone with the name "Genocidicles" adds to it.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
...ah, fuck it. Like I said, Yahtzee just doesn't know what he wants, or just loves complaining for the sake of it.
I know you like Nintendo and stuff, but that is what Yahtzee does, is it not? Complain for the sake of it, I mean.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
saxman234 said:
Are people serious with these comments?
To be fair, I can't tell who here is serious and who isn't anymore.

Poe's Law is in full effect in this thread.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
To all the people cracking superb jokes about being horrendously offended by this week's episode and demanding that Yahtzee change this or that detail:
Thank you.

Seriously, ya'll are the only reason I haven't completely lost faith in these forums.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
1) You can use the touchscreen as a part of gameplay. Not only can you use it to scroll through the level a la a PC RTS, you can use it to set destinations for specific captains and their units, and to swap between any of the three captains on the fly.
Don't you feel that is a bit of a poor implementation? I mean why not go for the full capabilities of a mouse on a RTS?

I am hopeful that they add select units and commands for the next Pikmin. Or maybe it would ruin the gameplay? Haven't touched the franchise in an eternity.

discrider

Apr 16, 2013
So, no C-stick analogue then?
In the previous games, you had a full analogue stick dedicated to controlling the Pikmin around you. This served triple purpose to:
1) Get your Pikmin horde out of the way of well-telegraphed attacks quick-smart
2) Swarm enemies, bridges, gates and objects that you wanted to haul so as to not have to throw all the blighters all the time.
3) Maneuver the horde through tight spaces so as to not lose them off the edge of ledges and the like
I can't imagine this Pikmin being very good without it.

Also, the whistle should expand in area of effect as you hold down the button, so holding it down and spinning on the spot was a great way of quickly selecting all the Pikmin on the screen. And I don't think I had any issues with this on the demo version, so maybe Yahtzee was just tapping whistle all the time?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
The flowers are absolutely a controlling parasite. Cordyceps has evolved after it infected a hive of bees! First the bees, then the pikmen, then the WORLD.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
No one is here to talk about Pikmin? I loved it, but I am a huge fan of the series so big shocker there. I do believe Yatzee should have played the game using the Wii mote Nunchuck controls, way better than the gamepad from my experience.

I also want to know what the deal is with his gamepad battery life problems? The cord is long enough to keep plugged in and still allowing one to sit far away from the system. By itself, I believe it lasts for about three hours, how long does he play?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Hero of Lime said:
No one is here to talk about Pikmin? I loved it, but I am a huge fan of the series so big shocker there. I do believe Yatzee should have played the game using the Wii mote Nunchuck controls, way better than the gamepad from my experience.

I also want to know what the deal is with his gamepad battery life problems? The cord is long enough to keep plugged in and still allowing one to sit far away from the system. By itself, I believe it lasts for about three hours, how long does he play?
Since essentially its his job to play, I'll say longer than 3 hours a session.

My average gaming session tends towards 4 hours.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Some people are mentioning the game controls a lot better with the Wii mote. Furthermore some suggest Yahtzee should have used the Wii mote to review the game and isn't doing Pikmin 3 justice by not doing so. I think it's only fair judging Pikmin on the WiiU using the controller that comes with the WiiU. In fact, the gamepad controller is an important selling point of said console. You can't expect everyone who wants to play this game to go and buy a Wii mote so they can optimally enjoy the game.
That being said, from what I have seen Pikmin 3 looks great and the gameplay seems like it could be fun. I won't get it, I don't have a WiiU and won't be getting one. I think New Little King's Story is the same kind of gameplay, sort of. So I will download that when it comes to PS+.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
The one thing I can take away from this review is that I now want to read whatGENOCIDE magazine.

saxman234

Nov 23, 2011
I really hope Yahtzee does not review The Wonderful 101. Every comment board from a website that gave the score under an 8 is atrocious. What is it about Nintendo games that gets people super defensive. Any review for a Nintendo only game that isn't praising everything about that game gets a hoard of comments of people defending it crazily. Maybe this is all games, but it seems like Nintendo games especially have a huge outcry whenever a game isn't reviewed highly. Thinking about it, I guess a game like Dragon's Crown also had the same problem.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Best video I've seen in a while. Maybe it's because I'm in a particularly jovial mood, but besides making me laugh out loud at several points, the people in the comments acting offended and/or condescending because people are making fun of people for acting offended and/or condescending had me tearing up.

TheZaius

May 7, 2008
The Wiimote + nunchuck control scheme is, unfortunately, highly underrated. It's a very intuitive control scheme for many games. It definitely made Mario Kart in GENERAL a better game and it works perfectly in the Telltale point-and-click adventure games that were released on the Wii.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Pikmin 3 is a beginners rts, possibly for those who've never heard of a mouse for control. Fun but annoyingly so. My Pikmin for a mouse, indeed.

As for mentioning the Somme, nothing wrong with that. mentioning such tragedy of war in passing jokes is not a problem, only if the oversensitive make it one. Yes, people died, but only through remembering such positively or negatively, can it be chalked up as something insane not to repeat. Its sign posted in history for you, to morn over whenever you feel the need.

When you are driving and run over a hedgehog, do you stop to your car and hold a wake and burial for it? No? Didn't think so. Try not to be such a white knight, Mr/Ms Genocidicles.

DrummerM

Nov 24, 2008
saxman234 said:
I really hope Yahtzee does not review The Wonderful 101. Every comment board from a website that gave the score under an 8 is atrocious. What is it about Nintendo games that gets people super defensive. Any review for a Nintendo only game that isn't praising everything about that game gets a hoard of comments of people defending it crazily. Maybe this is all games, but it seems like Nintendo games especially have a huge outcry whenever a game isn't reviewed highly. Thinking about it, I guess a game like Dragon's Crown also had the same problem.
People tend to complain about reviews when the score is dragged down because of things that don't actually affect the gameplay. Sexism is the big topic at the moment (hence the complaints about W101 and DC reviews).