Zero Punctuation: Prototype

Kaig

Apr 15, 2009
What i found amazing about this is my friend and I (him being a ps3 owner and I a 360 owner) on Monday we're talking about Infamous and Prototype and the on going battle between them. We decided that if you took 3 things for each game and switched them around you would have the same game. Infamous would be come prototype and prototype would be come Infamous. Weird...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Nice review, but...

I want to see you destroy a tank using the whipfist. Sure, it's one of my favorite weapons, but you can't go wrong with musclemass + throwing stuff or kicking helicopters. Or hammerheads and pouding tanks with them.

SousukeSeg

Oct 17, 2008
I own both of them and they are just as good, both flawed but easily compensated with their good parts in a geometrical mathematical anomaly that I thought no two games can achieve, they perfectly cancel each other out like: 1 and -1 or white and black, good and evil, half-life and halo (wops did I just say that out loud?).

One difference that I find can separate the two to find their way into a specific gamers heart is that Prototype is like an adrenaline rush, good to play just a bit the first day then play a little more the next, at lease for me since I was afraid that if I played it for too long I'll get desensitized and end up getting unamused (having a billion ways to kill someone helps by delaying that process), as for inFamous it's more story driven (not too original but well put together) the pace is varied and always entertaining the city is quite varied so you never get lost and barely need the minimap except for finding shards or dead drops, it sucks you in and doesn't let go until you finish the damn thing and after you're done you can play again using the different karma choices and powers.

All in all I still think they both deserve at lease one playthrough.

arberp

Jul 28, 2008
Im with infamous. its an unashamedly, comic book style game, proto is a bit emo for me.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
AkJay said:
THAT WASN'T A FUCKING REVIEW! he was just comparing Prototype to Infamous, a review he ALREADY DID LAST WEEK! he barely reviewed Prototype, but i guess it's hard to do when he is down on the ground licking Infamous' balls.
If you're implying that he's a fanboy, he made the games seem equal god dammit!

arberp

Jul 28, 2008
SousukeSeg said:
I own both of them and they are just as good, both flawed but easily compensated with their good parts in a geometrical mathematical anomaly that I thought no two games can achieve, they perfectly cancel each other out like: 1 and -1 or white and black, good and evil, half-life and halo (wops did I just say that out loud?).

One difference that I find can separate the two to find their way into a specific gamers heart is that Prototype is like an adrenaline rush, good to play just a bit the first day then play a little more the next, at lease for me since I was afraid that if I played it for too long I'll get desensitized and end up getting unamused (having a billion ways to kill someone helps by delaying that process), as for inFamous it's more story driven (not too original but well put together) the pace is varied and always entertaining the city is quite varied so you never get lost and barely need the minimap except for finding shards or dead drops, it sucks you in and doesn't let go until you finish the damn thing and after you're done you can play again using the different karma choices and powers.

All in all I still think they both deserve at lease one playthrough.
black and white dont cancel out they give u grey : )

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
The line about being "small and slummy, on account of being a small slum" made me laugh. I like how he changed things up a bit by making this one a comparison. Although it might have been more effective and less unbalanced if he hadn't already done a full review of Infamous.

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
M4rsch said:
It was fun but yathzee seems to be trading game review quality for dick jokes lately. Not quite sure whether i like this.
Do you even know the point of these videos?

Its to be funny, this is not a serious game review.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
kept me entertained for 4 min, so go yathzee, i do disagree whit his statement about the tentacles, i found the claws to be far superior (swords for the big meanies), and i did use all of the gene weapons and the trowing things at things and make both things explode abilities, but i never used guns, why the hell did they think we would need bullets when we can kill monsters and people whit other monsters and people and trow them at the same speed as bullets get fired.

also why use choppers, you can run/jump/glide faster than they can fly and when you get to a place you wish would stop being there you can just eat a general and ask the army's bomb jets (which the military never uses themselves...strangely enough) to bomb the yellow xp bubbles out of it.

Satoz

Apr 29, 2008
I have to disagree with the only using the extendo arm or mr.Fantastic appendage as I like to call it all the time, I while playing often tried to vary using each weapon, and while the extendo arm was useful to fight of some stronger mutants at first, it quickly became a weapon I only switched to for fighting helicopters and taking them, or for brief momments in combat, The muscle mass power was my favorite as it could be used with all the combat moves and was super powered (one kick to take down a helicopter) and all the others I used equally, except for the claws which was less. I never used the vision abilities really. But i did use guns, they could be pretty good, and the armored form was cool, but not being able to dodge roll made it suck against the super mutant things or super soldiers which would just keep hammering you down if you couldnt move, though avoidable, still could result in more health lost.

Now having played both games, prototype in my opinion wins because it was just more fun, the attacks didnt all have to be ranged, enemies were not always the same little group, and the military etc was at least doing something, and I wasnt tied down by moral choices, where I wouldn't shoot a grenade into the streets for fear of killing some civilians, only to be rewarded with a F-you at the end of the game where the evil side can basically get a super powerup, and a good guy cant. I agree the side missions made more sense, but prototypes also make sense as a distraction from just killing everything in story mode, and force you to use other powers to see the benefits etc...and guns were helpful.

When it comes down to it though, now I have 2 awesome games to play so am i complaining? do I care which is "better"...no, because they can appeal to different people, no one is just better. What prototype did for me was that it felt super, you felt almost unstoppable (though you could be killed if you weren't careful) for the whole game, even at the beggining where you had few powers. where as with infamous you feel kinda meh for a long time.

adrenalinq

Oct 9, 2008
I didn't play Infamous but Prototype is just a shitty Hulk clone with AI and graphics close to PS2's version of Hulk.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Between the whole scientific method attempt and emo Peter Pan, this is one of the best ZPs of recent memory.

I also liked Mr. Bean as a serial killer driving a tank.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Much funnier than last weaks, I prefer Yahtzee's reviews when they aren't just baseless hate to prop up his image as a misanthropist. We all KNOW he hates everyone, but yet in his E3 review he kept reminding us...

Though it's not like he's ever claimed NOT to hold a double standard, he's a comedian and doesn't need integrity.