Zero Punctuation: Prototype

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
Back on form; yay! Yet, trying something different. More yay!
Interesting to see a direct in-depth comparison between two similar games, even more so to see how each differs in each aspect.

Also on the MGSR thing: don't you think it makes sense to produce a game on multiple platforms rather than exclude it to one console that nobody gives a shit about, even if the previous game was exclusive to said console? It only makes more money... potentially, at least...

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Now we just need a Conduit review next week to complete the mediocre start of summer.

Or we could do Sims 3 and have a fresh change of pace. HAHA, look at that old man squirm! What, all I did was have you walk into a closet and delete the door!

Drakulla

May 19, 2009
I finished Infamous and need to finish Prototype. I don't know why people say they are similar, they aren't. The biggest differences are story, game play and one guy wears a backpack and shoots lightening, while the other wears a hoody and cuts everything.

Brennen

Apr 30, 2009
Prototype wins because Infamous is a PS3 exclusive title whereas Prototype is available on damn near everything, I like my developers to go the extra mile and make the game multi-platform compatible instead of a lazy ploy to force people to fork out 300+ bucks on a new system (plus the game of course "cha-ching!") :D
now get angry and sweaty-headed and tell me why I'm 'so wrong' hehehehe

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
i played both, and imho, and just for my own playing pleasure, i found prototype much more entertaining. no real reason, it's just fun, and that's what matters the most for me when i spend 50? on a game. i spent ~20something hours on prototype and still didn't finish the story missions cause it's freaking fun to just run around, kill army bases disguised as a black elderly woman in a weatherproof jacket (pretty redundant in such a seemingly warm climate), and throw people from the empire state building, figuring out if i can stay as close as possible to them until we hit the ground.
On the other hand, i don't know why infamous seems so familiar, but i only did the main story missions, and it has very little replay value for me.
so a good advice that i try to always follow: rent the game or lend it from a friend before you buy it, even if it's only for an afternoon or so. prototype convinced me that it is fun to play again in the future, whilst infamous would just have served as a dust catcher.

TLDR bonus ;P
conclusion: try them both before you decide which to buy, they're similar in as many ways as they are different, you might just like them both.

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
I think that Prototype wins the debate for me because it's not exclusive to a console that I don't have.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008

Kai?

But really, this video hits it spot on. Alex is definatly an incredibly retarted main character, and everything BUT likeable and the story is indeed nothing but pretentious. But ofcourse: fuck all that. As Yathzee said, Prototype rules at dicking around, a LOT. That combined with the delicious parkouring, and you've got yourself a winner in my book.

O and yes, InFamous is an exclusive, while Prototype is not.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
The Emo Peter Pan bit made me laugh, I actually wonder what it is he's shooting out of his wrists to let him glide around.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
dahmerszombies said:
That was a pretty solid review. I'm gonna have to pick ou both games soon.
Just giving you some advice. Prototype is really fun for the first couple of hours, but when you've played it long enough to have a good amount of use from all of your powers, it's very, very repetative. InFamous though, I haven't played.

I've gotta say, today's review was quite accurate, everything bad about Prototype was picked out very well.

scire

Apr 15, 2009
Awesome vid, I love how he confused the old lady XD I think I would have more fun with prototype.

ExistentialCrisis

Dec 29, 2008
"It'd be like if Mr. Bean were a mass murderer."

I lol'd. Quite a lot, actually. ZP needs more of that referential/topical humor; also more mentioning of the built-in silliness of most games (like way back in the Halo Wars review when Yahtzee went off on the "We lost contact!" absurdity).

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
Another good review by yahtzee.

Quote of the show for me was : "IT WAS ME!"

and Yahtzee if you actually did some work like the rest of us instead of fast talking and making these hilarious then videos then:

A) you would have already built "mankind has yet to recognise my genius: the game"
B) you would have made a load of money from it.
c) you would have Left a hole in our hearts where our enjoyment of your cinicism was.

so please, I am curious to see more details of M.K.H.Y.T.R.M.G:The game.

Or just put out another funny review.

keyton777

Aug 14, 2008
so in teh end prototype wins this because he can turn into a girl and keep the hoodie, and have that make some sense, he isnt a human anymore, much less a man, yes i paid attention to the conspirciy part.

also, the game prototype would win because its out on both consoles, and not just one.

if you want to make money on a game :D PUT IT ON BOTH CONSOLES! dont just put it on one because sony gives better BJs or something

EDIT: i played both, i liked protype, because i could actually play the game, not just borrow it for an hour.
and i like the concept of killing and eating the guards of the military bases, makes cleanup so much simpler, and i dont have to look for the ones i thought i missed, im wearing them

You_have_a_name

Feb 25, 2009
not rely a review more of a comparison but still amazing XD
also it seemed he awarded the scores for game play to prototype and the story points to infamos so i think that means prototype is better because game play is more important

SousukeSeg

Oct 17, 2008
arberp said:
SousukeSeg said:
I own both of them and they are just as good, both flawed but easily compensated with their good parts in a geometrical mathematical anomaly that I thought no two games can achieve, they perfectly cancel each other out like: 1 and -1 or white and black, good and evil, half-life and halo (wops did I just say that out loud?).

One difference that I find can separate the two to find their way into a specific gamers heart is that Prototype is like an adrenaline rush, good to play just a bit the first day then play a little more the next, at lease for me since I was afraid that if I played it for too long I'll get desensitized and end up getting unamused (having a billion ways to kill someone helps by delaying that process), as for inFamous it's more story driven (not too original but well put together) the pace is varied and always entertaining the city is quite varied so you never get lost and barely need the minimap except for finding shards or dead drops, it sucks you in and doesn't let go until you finish the damn thing and after you're done you can play again using the different karma choices and powers.

All in all I still think they both deserve at lease one playthrough.
black and white dont cancel out they give u grey : )
I'm putting my hands down on that one, you got me there, allow me to give myself a douche award.