Zero Punctuation: Red Faction Guerrilla

Aidoc

Nov 12, 2008
That was the worst review I've seen from Yahtzee yet. I love him and I'm a huge fan, but he just seemed like he had no idea what he was talking about. Red Faction is an amazing game, and the shots he took at it were unwarranted. Even though he did seem to enjoy it, complaints like easily getting attacked by the EDF just don't make any sense. If you smack a wall out right in front of them, what do you expect to happen? You also don't lose morale unless you kill civilians. Loads of other sandbox games have similar, and usually, more strict systems in play than that. This is a great game, and I really wonder if Yahtzee played it more than five minutes.

The destruction with the hammer is for GAMEPLAY, I can't believe people are agreeing with such a stupid point. Who cares if it's realistic? It's FUN. Y'know, fun? The whole reason games are made? Also, the buildings barely standing up happens very rarely. The stress system kicks in and causes the building to collapse if it's barely held up. On occasion it does get stuck, but the game has such a gigantic and ambitious destruction system and you're going to complain about minor things like that? Games that have something as simple as being able to move tiny objects around have more glitches than this.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
"and on the second his spine snapped neatly in half", that line was truly hilarious.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
Also, this is the 99th episode...next week what will happen?!?!?!??!?! :)
I was just about to make a comment about there being five full pages of 20 in the archive which makes this the 100th, but then remembered the repeat of the console rundown thing one week when he was away. So I thought I'd post it anyway in case anyone else has the same idea.

That said, the interview with Yahtzee from the PDF issue said that the 100th episode airs on August 5th, so someone somewhere can't count. :p

CaptainCalvin

Jun 7, 2009
Hooray! No gonad jokes in this one! My respect for you has recovered somewhat! keep up the good work yahtzee.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
It was funny even if I do disagree with you.
But I will forever be the person who will try to find flaws in everything.

LaBambaMan

Jul 13, 2009
The game is good, and it's mindless fun if you end up not giving a shit about morale. There are some flaws, as Yahtzee pointed out, but it's still a fun game none-the-less.

The only thing about this review that kinda' irked me was that there was no mention of the awesome multi-player mode where you just destroy buildings for points. It's a great stress reliever and funny as hell to watch.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The only thing missing from Red Faction Guerilla were the colourfull crazy characters from Saints Row 2

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
Great review as always, hope you and Saints Row 2 have a happy life together.

Red Faction Guerrilla kinda dropped the ball, for me. I was hoping, since it was made by Volition, that it would basically be Saints Row 2 on Mars in the future. But, It wasn't. The moral system ruined it for me. Like Yahtzee said, "Here's Mars. There's lots of stuff to blow up. Here's plenty of guns to blow it all up. Just don't blow it up too much."

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
gawsh, i played RF2 and had so LITTLE fun with it, the characters were so unlikeable (and as a matter of fact, they WERE antholes! oO ) the morale system worked just like in FO3 (heal the world or kill innocent.... well, whatever, i'm not so good at puns xD fact is, RFG hasn't improved on the points that bugged me in RF2 so i'm thankful for this review and for renting it before actually taking the risk and buy it.
which i will surely NOT do xD

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Awsome referance to an obscure David Bowie song at the end there Yahtzee.

Also very nice to see you did this, given the advertising they did on the Escapist (even going so far as to have a badge) it's nice to see that they still let you critique them in your own unique and wonderful style.

deathstrikesquirrel

Apr 15, 2009
And still no reviewer seems to touch on the moral dissonance that occurs when you are committing (what amounts to) acts of terrorism when you blow up government buildings like they were the freaking death star, which cues the discussion of innocent contractors working in that building from Clerks.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I think the game should be called Red Faciton: Break stuff. Its a good game just..... I wish it were about actual Guerilla warfare.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
As much fun as it was to plow through EDF property with a walker while playing the demo on XBL, I couldn't convince myself to like this game. Everything in this review is true right down to the somewhat faulty physics. Keep it up Yahtzee.

Aidoc

Nov 12, 2008
ssgt splatter said:
As much fun as it was to plow through EDF property with a walker while playing the demo on XBL, I couldn't convince myself to like this game. Everything in this review is true right down to the somewhat faulty physics. Keep it up Yahtzee.
The stress system wasn't even in the demo there bud. If you sit and watch a heavily damaged building in the full game, it will collapse given a bit of time as it would in real life. There are some glitches, but EVERY GAME HAS GLITCHES. This game does something more ambitious than any game to come out for a good while, and you're going to pick at the occasional physics glitch?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The pun at the end made me howl like a tipsy wolf, and I scared my mom. I think I need to get out more.

Zephemus

Jan 12, 2009
I knew that he would be reviewing this game for this week because my friend and I were playing this game on his PS3 over the weekend and frankly I was rather pleased with the game, though I made the same joke about you possesing Myolnir as Yahtzee did.

And now I really have to play Saint's Row 2 now if I liked Red Faction 2 that much.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Looks like he liked it. Begrudgingly though mind. Loved the bit about the wedding and the game in it's little suit :p

KamachoMcSagget

Mar 22, 2009
i downloaded the demo for it when it first came out, and after half an hour of waiting, i started to play it, and thought it would be good because it was by the guys that made sr2, as he mentioned at the end of his review, but i got bored after a couple minutes and i would never get that loooooooooong time spent waiting for it to download back. i know demos aren't as good as actualy having the game, but i couldn't find mutch to like in it.

and why would ANYONE want his themesong? it sounds like ass