Zero Punctuation: Red Steel 2

ObsessiveSketch

New member
Nov 6, 2009
574
0
0
Over the months, I've gotten used to Yahtzee-styled jokes to the point where I could have a good chuckle and move on to the next. However, it's a good thing that "Air traffic control for Hindenburg" was at the end of the review, because I couldn't stop laughing! Idk whether it was the tone of the delivery or what, but just the memory of the dated radio voice screaming "Oh, the humanity" combined with the frantic flailings of the ZP generic-dude was enough to send me to the floor, red-faced with laughter. Well done, Mr. Croshaw, for reminding me why I enjoy your show so much.
 

ArmorArmadillo

New member
Mar 31, 2010
231
0
0
SkullCap said:
hcig said:
SkullCap said:
hcig said:
SkullCap said:
I have to admit this game looks rather good. Definitely worth a rental to check it out.

I must say this is Yahtzee's first Wii review in several months which made me curious as to why he has not reviewed No More Heroes 2. Regardless of that, this Red Steel 2 review was a nice surprise.
he joked about "too good to rip on" before but im almost certain he cant complain enough to justify it :D

or maybe its because it doesnt release until the end of next month :p
*laughs quietly to myself*

The Australian release dates do point to the possibility of No More Heroes 2 not being reviewed yet just like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
*Looks up silent hill release date...*

jesus christ, why do they do that crap to those poor australians? i feel sorry for non north american gamers, they get the shaft big time
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories=April 22, 2010

I haven't the slightest idea. You'd think Australia would get games faster because Australia is much closer to Japan. Oh well...
A Silent Hill game on the Wii...Yahtzee loves one, hates the other, and is exceptionally mean to both in reviews.

I've been dying to see him talk about this game, since I'm not willing to buy it until I hear his opinion.
 

Knightcrawler

New member
May 8, 2008
10
0
0
"I will admit that the swordplay itself is quite invigorating in a way that using a normal controller wouldn't be."

That was actually a lot more positive than I expected the review to be. Wow.

As far as the question posed at the end of the review, I don't really care if not much else is done with the WiiMotion+ other than fighting games. I've been waiting since the NES for good sword-fighting, and I'd be a little sad if they only made a few games once it was possible. Besides, there are always other melee weapons. And technically, it makes a lot of other non-swingy gameplay mechanics better (environmental manipulation, for instance), too. It's a matter of whether anyone actually follows through, though...

My main problem with the game (so far) was also the fact that the sword and view were tied together (an insurmountable necessity in an FPS without head-tracking), but I found a manageable solution.
 

Wounded Melody

New member
Jan 19, 2009
539
0
0
8bitmaster said:
you know, hes got a point. What other kind of game would be good for precise motion than a sword? They should just make a good sword attachment and keep milking the idea if it leads to realistic style sword fights where you stand sideways towards a friend and actually fight them with the wiimote for points in game.
Fighting with...a whip? Sais? A....hmm...
 

JoshGod

New member
Aug 31, 2009
1,472
0
0
erm the wii could also be used for a star wars game...
oh right i remember your review of the force unleashed.
 

krgskks

New member
Jan 11, 2010
23
0
0
Xanthious said:
Let's see. The Wii is a Gamecube with a gimmicky controller.
You are right. It is a pretty good console with pretty ingenious games that is totally underrated.

Seriously, there are so many great Wii games, and Red Steel 2 sounds like fun. Why does one own a console? To play games and the Wii delivers. Instead of generic brown FPS #42, you get a palette of colourful games for quite a range of gamers. Games like Modern Warfare 2 or Halo aren't hardcore, those are the casual games. Remember when you needed skill in shooters to survive and kill your opponent?
If you missed out on the Gamecube and like playing games that offer some nice variety, then a Wii is the way to go. But I admit, that it is rather hard to notice the good games. Things like TvC, SSX Blur, Little Kings Story, Punch-Out!!, deBlob and others aren't as well advertised as the main Nintendo titles. Also get some of the great Gamecube titles. Eternal Darkness for example is pretty much the most exciting game in it's genre and kicks every Silent Hill game in the balls.
And if you like your shooters, then use your PC.
 

chenry

New member
Oct 31, 2007
344
0
0
krgskks said:
If you missed out on the Gamecube and like playing games that offer some nice variety, then a Wii is the way to go. But I admit, that it is rather hard to notice the good games. Things like TvC, SSX Blur, Little Kings Story, Punch-Out!!, deBlob and others aren't as well advertised as the main Nintendo titles. Also get some of the great Gamecube titles. Eternal Darkness for example is pretty much the most exciting game in it's genre and kicks every Silent Hill game in the balls.
you forgot Boom Blox.
 

SkullCap

New member
Nov 10, 2009
814
0
0
ArmorArmadillo said:
SkullCap said:
hcig said:
SkullCap said:
hcig said:
SkullCap said:
I have to admit this game looks rather good. Definitely worth a rental to check it out.

I must say this is Yahtzee's first Wii review in several months which made me curious as to why he has not reviewed No More Heroes 2. Regardless of that, this Red Steel 2 review was a nice surprise.
he joked about "too good to rip on" before but im almost certain he cant complain enough to justify it :D

or maybe its because it doesnt release until the end of next month :p
*laughs quietly to myself*

The Australian release dates do point to the possibility of No More Heroes 2 not being reviewed yet just like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
*Looks up silent hill release date...*

jesus christ, why do they do that crap to those poor australians? i feel sorry for non north american gamers, they get the shaft big time
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories=April 22, 2010

I haven't the slightest idea. You'd think Australia would get games faster because Australia is much closer to Japan. Oh well...
A Silent Hill game on the Wii...Yahtzee loves one, hates the other, and is exceptionally mean to both in reviews.

I've been dying to see him talk about this game, since I'm not willing to buy it until I hear his opinion.
During his Second Annual E3 Hype Massacre he was interested in the Shattered Memories game so I'm sure we'll see that one soon.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/779-The-Second-Annual-E3-Hype-Massacre
 

Quicksilver1111

New member
Sep 18, 2008
42
0
0
krgskks said:
Xanthious said:
Let's see. The Wii is a Gamecube with a gimmicky controller.
You are right. It is a pretty good console with pretty ingenious games that is totally underrated.

Seriously, there are so many great Wii games, and Red Steel 2 sounds like fun. Why does one own a console? To play games and the Wii delivers. Instead of generic brown FPS #42, you get a palette of colourful games for quite a range of gamers. Games like Modern Warfare 2 or Halo aren't hardcore, those are the casual games. Remember when you needed skill in shooters to survive and kill your opponent?
If you missed out on the Gamecube and like playing games that offer some nice variety, then a Wii is the way to go. But I admit, that it is rather hard to notice the good games. Things like TvC, SSX Blur, Little Kings Story, Punch-Out!!, deBlob and others aren't as well advertised as the main Nintendo titles. Also get some of the great Gamecube titles. Eternal Darkness for example is pretty much the most exciting game in it's genre and kicks every Silent Hill game in the balls.
And if you like your shooters, then use your PC.
Ooooh, list time! I don't come around these parts often enough to see the aftermath of most of my posts, so I might as well post my official list of good games for the wii:
- A Boy and His Blob
- Another Code R
- Battalion Wars 2
- Blastworks: Build, Trade, Destroy
- Boom Blox
- Boom Blox: Bash Party
- Cursed Mountain
- Deadly Creatures
- De Blob
- Disaster: Day of Crisis
- Elebits/Eledees
- Final Fantasy: Chocobo's Dungeon
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
- Fragile: Farewell Ruins of The Moon
- House of The Dead: Overkill
- Little Kings Story
- Madworld
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
- Muramasa: The Demon Blade
- New Super Mario Bros Wii
- NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
- No More Heroes
- Punch Out
- Red Steel 2
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Paper Mario
- Super Smash Bros Brawl
- Tales of Symphonia II: Knights of Ratatosk/Dawn of The New World
- Tatsunoko vs Capcom
- Trauma Center: New Blood
- Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
- Warioware: Smooth Moves
- Wii Play
- Zack and Wiki
 

the_darklorde

New member
Aug 10, 2009
1
0
0
*ding*

Achievement unlocked: "YAHTZEE! - Work on a game that Yahtzee reviews in Zero Punctuation, and live to tell the tale."

My life is now complete. And, it was a damn funny one, too!!! It may be weird to thank someone for bashing your game, but damn, he bashes it *so darn well*. Thanks, man!

/happy

-Jason
 

krgskks

New member
Jan 11, 2010
23
0
0
chenry said:
you forgot Boom Blox.
Like I said, there are many good games.

If you have really good friends playing New Super Mario Bros is pretty awesome. Not for beating the game, no, but beating the game while 3 other people grief you constantly. It's fun and what Yahtzee said about it was true, but I don't regret the purchase one moment. When reading some of the posts here, it seems people take these videos as a serious review. And that puzzles me, because you have to be really thick to think that Yahtzee reviews the games for people to decide wether they are good or not.
 

tobyornottoby

New member
Jan 2, 2008
517
0
0
Wow he did not 100% bash a wii game, nice o_O

To answer the question at the end, I think shooters can work great on the wii, Resident Evil 4 and the Metroid Prime series have well implemented control schemes that make the games unlike any other
 

RestamSalucard

New member
Feb 26, 2010
77
0
0
J-Dude said:
Copyright Moviebob 2008, much? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9joAb4XMaUs

Don't get me wrong; it doesn't make what you said any less correct, but please, quote your sources.
 

sethperson

New member
Nov 17, 2009
5
0
0
To reply to Yahtzee's last statement, "What else is motion controls good for other than sword-fighting?" I think that the RTS genre would benefit from the Wii because you can actually drag and drop, like say... a bunch of tanks on the enemy's front door, which is something you have complained about consoles not having in the halo wars review.
 

gamepopper101

New member
Aug 12, 2009
286
0
0
Never really cared about Red Steel, best final punchline so far. "The only other thing I can think of is being an air traffic controller at the Hindenburg Disaster" XD
 

sethperson

New member
Nov 17, 2009
5
0
0
Not to contadict my last quote, but why manually aim at a target when you can use an analog stick, or do a zelda style lock-on system. Ya'know where is that lock-on system, wasn't that supposed to revolutionize shooting alltogether? I know metroid does it but every shot seems to be manually aimed now. Isn't that kinda like a step backwards, or do that many people forget what nintendo used to be?