Zero Punctuation: Red Steel 2

sethperson

Nov 17, 2009
Hey, is Poke'mon heart-gold and soul-silver out in austrailia yet or did michael akinson damn it to his imaginary circle of hell, because I'm undecided on the matter of puchasing this, and I am certain Yahtzee can rip on it since it's a JRPG, a blatant nintendo remake, it has a bunch of fans, it's as against change and innovation as John McCain was minus the crazy *****, this will sound new to veiwers since Yahtzee has never reveiwed a Poke'mon game (that I know of), and said legions of fans will probably nag him to do it anyway, or they will since I just instigated them right now as of your reading.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Am I the only one who saw the graphics for the game and instantly thought Borderlands graphics?

Kenkaku

Nov 7, 2007
You want to know how long it took me after pressing 'play' to get to the 'game' aspect of this game review?

45 cocking seconds.

Seriously, Yahtzee, why even bother reviewing Nintendo games? I was hoping you'd focus on the game and just the game like you did with Bowser's Inside Story, but that seems to be too much to ask.

Reosoul

Sep 12, 2009
Kenkaku said:
You want to know how long it took me after pressing 'play' to get to the 'game' aspect of this game review?

45 cocking seconds.

Seriously, Yahtzee, why even bother reviewing Nintendo games? I was hoping you'd focus on the game and just the game like you did with Bowser's Inside Story, but that seems to be too much to ask.
I don't blame him. The Wii is pretty terrible. How much longer until Nintendo realizes they're game developer and not Fischer Price(sp?)?

gophergun

Apr 16, 2010
In terms of what the Wiimote would be useful for emulating besides swords and air traffic indicators, I really think that there's a lot of potential there for a good Harry Potter game. It'll never happen, due to being a game based on a movie (based on a book) and a Wii game, but I can dream.

Gammaj4

Nov 18, 2009
A1 said:
Gammaj4 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Huh I thought it was going to be awesome, oh well I don't have a Wii but it was still amusing to watch
Actually, it is quite good. Yahtzee tends to exaggerate, and this is no exception.
Unless you spend all your time traipsing about breaking stuff for cash, you're not going to be able to buy all the special moves, weapon upgrades, armor upgrades, ect. faster than your enemies scale.

And while you CAN use the Tiger to kill every enemy with ease, chances are, you won't. The actual combat is too much fun.

I hope you're referring to the game itself and not Yahtzee's review. It would seem that according to Yahtzee the combat is decent but nothing else is.
Having played it, I can definitely say that the combat isn't decent. It ROCKS.
The exploration is not that great, the story is all but non-existent, but the combat really makes the game. It's not going to light the world on fire, but it's the most pure fun I've had since Mario Galaxy.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Gammaj4 said:
A1 said:
Gammaj4 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Huh I thought it was going to be awesome, oh well I don't have a Wii but it was still amusing to watch
Actually, it is quite good. Yahtzee tends to exaggerate, and this is no exception.
Unless you spend all your time traipsing about breaking stuff for cash, you're not going to be able to buy all the special moves, weapon upgrades, armor upgrades, ect. faster than your enemies scale.

And while you CAN use the Tiger to kill every enemy with ease, chances are, you won't. The actual combat is too much fun.

I hope you're referring to the game itself and not Yahtzee's review. It would seem that according to Yahtzee the combat is decent but nothing else is.
The exploration is not that great, the story is all but non-existent, but the combat really makes the game. It's not going to light the world on fire, but it's the most pure fun I've had since Mario Galaxy.

That's nice. But it's according to you and apparently not Yahtzee.

Gammaj4

Nov 18, 2009
A1 said:
Gammaj4 said:

True. But like I said, he tends to exaggerate. That's not to say that I necessarily don't, to be fair. But if you take a look at some reviews that are aimed toward honest reporting less than being funny, you'll probably see mostly what I said.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
I just now, on the fourth viewing, noticed a little detail at about 3:54. The guitar that appears in the hazy fog is playing Twing Twang.

cebbesen

Jul 18, 2009
its rare that i physically laugh out loud while watching ZP, but typically chuckle throughout its entirety. However, the Reboot joke made slightly lukewarm coffee eject from my nose all over my monitor at work. Well played Yahtzee, well played indeed

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
The "air-traffic controller at the Hindenburg disaster" bit had me laughing for a good while. Not a Wii owner, so not particularly interested in the game, beside encyclopedic reasons, though.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Gammaj4 said:
A1 said:
Gammaj4 said:

True. But like I said, he tends to exaggerate. That's not to say that I necessarily don't, to be fair. But if you take a look at some reviews that are aimed toward honest reporting less than being funny, you'll probably see mostly what I said.

I'm not sure if "honest" is the best word to use here. I think a more appropriate one would be "serious".

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
the_darklorde said:
*ding*

Achievement unlocked: "YAHTZEE! - Work on a game that Yahtzee reviews in Zero Punctuation, and live to tell the tale."

My life is now complete. And, it was a damn funny one, too!!! It may be weird to thank someone for bashing your game, but damn, he bashes it *so darn well*. Thanks, man!

/happy

-Jason
shit just got real

shit just got WAY REAL

Yahtzee just had the director of the game come into the comments thread and thank him. i can only hope he sees this.

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
pretty great review. i'm guessing either a retrospective review next week, or splinter cell: conviction, based off Australian release dates.