Zero Punctuation: Red Steel 2

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
TraumaHound said:
If only the Wii were as hardcore as that Snake Plissken-looking fellow.

And not one but two masturbation jokes (with the first one getting a special "oh-no-he-di'nt" nod.)

I only recently even heard of this game, having looked it up after seeing the box at the local gamestore. It didn't look appealing on the cover, I thought maybe it was going for that same simplistic-art style that Madworld had.

The swordplay looks cool enough, though I've seen/read that it doesn't exactly correspond to the way you're holding the Wiimote (despite it requiring the "advanced" Wii MotionPlus.) Maybe Red Faction 3 will have the 1:1 Wiimote-to-swordplay movement recognition that we've all assumed would come with Big N's wiggle-stick controllers.
It doesn't because the gameplay would become a mess. Blocking is 1:1...

At least, that's the excuse the devs came up with.

I think what they said is that if it were 1:1 control, everyone would suck too much. :D

Seriously though, I've spent some time doing martial arts that have sword forms, and it's harder than it looks.
Yeah, Japanese swords are a pain.

Baron_BJ said:
I haven't bothered to dust off my Wii for a fair while considering how bad most games are in regards to actual gameplay control, but with what can reasonably be considered a positive ZP review of the controls then it can't really be too bad, this kind of action is after all, the reason I purchased the system in the first place. Lack of physical interaction will still make this a bit shitty.

I haven't seen this release in stores here in QLD, despite Yahtzee already having his hands on a copy. It may merely be sold out.

TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM. And in a couple months, Metroid: Other M.

_Russell_

Jan 5, 2009
Love the Princess Bride reference in the end credits. :D

The Wii was fun for the first few hours and handy at a couple of parties but I regret buying it.
The only game I?ve ever truly enjoyed on it was Resident Evil 4, and that was a GameCube remake.

Popeye said ?I am what I am?, Nintendo should keep this in mind for the Wii, it?ll never be anything other than a casual gaming platform so it shouldn?t try to be anything else.

Trying to market it has hardcore is like hiring a Sumo wrestler as a weight-watcher spokesman.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
hawk533 said:
I'm sorry but the princess bride comment at the end almost makes me want to buy the game just to feel like Inigo Montoya.
And then I would play the whole game left handed because I don't want it to be over too quickly.
This I like. This I like alot.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Cool review.
I was thinking of maybe getting this, but now I've decided against it. I guess Muramasa will continue to be the only Wii game I actually own, unless I ever get around to modding it to play Super Robot Wars Neo.

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
Thunderhorse31 said:
Your avatar is amazing!

OT: You know, I don't pay much attention to the Wii and don't even acknowledge any games for it other than the fun little sports games you can play with the relatives at Christmas, the Xbox is for real games, but this game sounds okay.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
yellowhead said:
You say that the difficulty when you unlock 'The Tiger' is a big flaw. But maybe that was part of the point. I think the game is meant to make you feel like an unstoppable warrior of death by the end, a bit like Kill-Bill.
I think difficulty curves that don't plateau are more amusing and one is supposed to begin feeling like an unstoppable killing machine because they are GOOD at the game rather than they've put enough hours in and "earned" an unbreakable guard that needs one motion to work.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
You poor sad sad human being, Reboot was a kids show (one of the best and the first computer generated show ever) in Canada (no idea how Yatzhee knows about it) I recommend it also nice Reboot reference and he owned the Wii

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
Gaming King said:
DrEmo said:
When will the Wii just give up and start pumping out mindless mini game compilations like it's supposed to. Those are the best sellers on the system along with Mario. This gives you and idea of what kind of people own Wiis.
On a better note, Wiis make great projectiles since they're so inexpensive.
I like that you respect the fact that Nintendo can move product and make money, but it's not good business to totally neglect players of good games. The reason the Wii is successful is that, yes, it can crank out stuff for the masses, but also, it cranks out enough (JUST enough) for the hardcore players, too. It's probably about a 50/50 balance. Nobody ought to complain about good business models. The business model is so good that Sony and Micro$oft have--very unsuccessfully--tried to mimic it.

Now, may I direct you to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom?
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is a good game. I just hope they do like they did with Viewtiful Joe and port it.

OT: Great review. The joke about jacking off wind turbines was very original and unexpected.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
I played red steel 1 on a friends wii, and it was god awful, especially the split screen multiplayer with dumb downed graphics.

It's a pity that this one isn't any where near what they were promising regarding improvements. Good episode with cool reboot reference.

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
I actually think that the Wii motion sensor is also useful for shooting games, if it works properly, like the arcade railway shooters, only you actually can control where you walk to.

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
You poor sad sad human being, Reboot was a kids show (one of the best and the first computer generated show ever) in Canada (no idea how Yatzhee knows about it) I recommend it also nice Reboot reference and he owned the Wii
It was syndicated in the UK for CITV. That's how I know about it and Yahtzee is only slightly older than me, so that's probably how.

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
_Russell_ said:
Love the Princess Bridge reference in the end credits. :D

The Wii was fun for the first few hours and handy at a couple of parties but I regret buying it.
The only game I?ve ever truly enjoyed on it was Resident Evil 4, and that was a GameCube remake.

Popeye said ?I am what I am?, Nintendo should keep this in mind for the Wii, it?ll never be anything other than a casual gaming platform so it shouldn?t try to be anything else.

Trying to market it has hardcore is like hiring a Sumo wrestler as a weight-watcher spokesman.
You're dead wrong. You've obviously NEVER played any of the GOOD games on the Wii. There's plenty out there. One releases about every three or four months on average. And yeah, that's enough.

Also, what the hell is a Princess Bridge? You're obviously loony.

effilctar said:
Thunderhorse31 said:
Your avatar is amazing!

OT: You know, I don't pay much attention to the Wii and don't even acknowledge any games for it other than the fun little sports games you can play with the relatives at Christmas, the Xbox is for real games, but this game sounds okay.
HA!! Some day, I'll compile a list of all the amazing games for the Wii. In fact, maybe that day will be Saturday.

Quiet Stranger said:
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
It was also in America, on Toonami, which Cartoon Network axed in recent years. Shortly thereafter, they gave up Naruto to Disney XD, which is completely sick. They also barely have any good animoo left.

Abengoshis

Aug 12, 2009
Loved the video and completely agree. I do find Red Steel 2 to be the most fun I've had on my Wii for a long time.