Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 6

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
tehweave said:
Leon Kennedy? Outspoken misogynist? I must have missed the part of the game where Leon said he hated women. When did he get that label?
Heh, maybe it's a reference to the bulk of player-reaction to Ashley?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I hated the first 3 resident evils and would have probably hated 4 on gamecube. But on the Wii RE4 was brilliant because you could AIM with the wiimote.

Plus when I played through it I was working on a kidney stone so I had the immersive feeling of a foreign body tearing up my insides the whole time.
I have it, but a hate how I need to fight the same giant eye monster again and again. The fully upgraded shotgun is amazing however

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
If that hidden fourth character thing is Ada Wong again i will not even give RE:6 a fair chance to impress me as an action game because that sort of "hidden reward" just makes me want to stop playing and go cry in a corner.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yes it's always comforting to know you're job could be just as easily accomplished by a mindless string of 1's and 0's.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Do we have a right to be surprised anymore when a Resident Evil game sucks? It has basically turned into the Friday the 13th of video games. I hate to say it but Call Of Duty has better tacked on Zombie shooters than Resident Evil games.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Ulquiorra4sama said:
If that hidden fourth character thing is Ada Wong again i will not even give RE:6 a fair chance to impress me as an action game because that sort of "hidden reward" just makes me want to stop playing and go cry in a corner.
The alternative is that Ada's story is removed from the game entirely and sold separately as DLC.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
dennett316 said:
striderkiwi said:
Another horrible review from Yahtzee from a series he's clearly uber biased about. I don't know why I expected anything better from him...
Of course you think he's biased little one, he has an opinion that is different to yours. Well, in a sense he is in that he has an opinion on the games...didn't stop him enjoying Resident Evil 4 though.
But you know, you'd be just as biased if you liked the thing...just in a different way.
MegaManOfNumbers said:
One question, do you like the game?

Then the review shouldn't bother you.

secondly, Yahtzee LIKED Call of Duty 4.
I think both you just got trolled. For shame.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
The alternative is that Ada's story is removed from the game entirely and sold separately as DLC.
Even that is favourable 'cause then you can just not download it so you won't feel like you didn't complete the whole game.

Even better option: Stop cramming Ada into these games.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Ah, after a semi-sh*t evening that was just the combination of bitterness and humour I needed. Thanks, Yahtzee, you haven't let me down yet. (Also, I don't care much about ResiEvil, but know just enough about the games to get the references. Handy, that...)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Kopikatsu said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Even that is favourable 'cause then you can just not download it so you won't feel like you didn't complete the whole game.

Well...I'll just post an earlier comment that I'd made.

Kopikatsu said:
So, I just unlocked Ada Wong's story this morning and am currently halfway through Chapter 3 (of 5) of her campaign.

Boy was I surprised.

Ada's story is much more reminiscent of the Raccoon Trilogy than Leon's story is. To list a few examples: You have no AI partner and Agent Hunt is disabled, ammo is hard to come by as her weapons tend to use large amounts of rarer ammo (Ammo Box 50 using 50 handgun rounds, which comes in packs of 10 for example), a lot of the enemies have to be avoided because they're too numerous and too powerful to fight directly, there are a number of extremely arbitrarily locked doors that require puzzles, backtracking, or both to open (Such as a door that requires you to see the 'real' painting hidden inside of another and then using the symbolism present in the 'real' painting to replicate a picture using various panels), the old school RE camera kicks in at times, etc.
Also, apparently the next patch will make Ada's story unlocked by default.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Daniel Ford said:
To be fair RE:3 ended with a nuke.
Which really should have irreversibly killed off anything remotely related to Umbrella, but then they came back again like an invincible cancer you just can't get out of your system no matter how many antibiotics you take.

Schnippshly

Mar 6, 2009
I thought Yahtzee would have appreciated that RE6 really doesn't have any more QTEs than RE4 or RE5, and in fact has less because the dodge QTE is now an on-demand function.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Wanted to post this
http://phelous.com/node/1428
It's phelous review of the game, he is a fan of the serie, and the review is fair and balanced in my opinion we pretty much share the same opinion of what's good and what's bad in the game

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I have only played the demo and based on that, Yahtzee's review seems pretty spot on to me. Resident Evil is still one of my favorite video game franchises though.

Right now the game is on my holiday wish list, along with Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City and Resident Evil: Revelations.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Kopikatsu said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:

also would like to point out, that Ada Story explain some of the mystery left in the 3 main campaing, my guess to have her to be unlocked is to avoid massive spoilers of the others campaings

Nothemama

Jan 28, 2012
@ Smokescreen. You can pause the game if you play in offline mode. I discovered this by accident, kinda goes with your point about no game manual! dodgy indeed!

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Roofstone said:
I'll just leave this miracleofsound gem here. <3

And great review, the online stuff pissed me off too.. Sigh..
Thanks for this man.

On another note. I have already played 3 RE games (3, 4 and Veronica). I had enough fun and I can think and search for fanfics which can do better plots for the franchise.