Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Jerakal

Aug 30, 2007
Personally I like mowing down hordes of zombies and wetb-...ricks (SAVED) So I rather enjoyed RE4 and this game was kind of fun obnoxious difficulty at times put aside. As always this one was funny as hell, I still don't get that painkiller video at the end of last weeks cartoon.

Edit: Good luck with CoD 4 Yahtzee, another FPS. Whoop-De-Shit.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Crap_haT said:
"and Valve employees" I was in histerics. And COD4 to be reviewed, xD. Just goes to show that annoyance does prevail. "Twat blankets."
If you want Yahtzee to review a game, NAG HIM TO FUCKING DEATH!!!

brenflood

Jan 27, 2008
NeoSpriggan said:
Though i cant help but agree on them still giving out the below average 90's teenage horror movie and trying to act like its something to be shocked and amazed at.
Has anyone considered that the entire game series is a parody of every horrible zombie movie ever made? The dialog is the first game was obviously parody. I mean, there's no other way to interpret it in my eyes. From what I can gather, Capcom takes their graphics and gameplay seriously, but really use their story as little more than something to get from the Spanish village to the Spanish castle (in the case of Resident Evil 4).

Seems to me that Capcom has done a great job of screwing with all of your heads if you actually think that they take themselves seriously when it comes to dialog. For fuck's sake, "Barry, Where's Barry."

Lord Scottish

Nov 28, 2007
Resident Evil plot/dialogue as parody of horror movie conventions is an interesting idea, wrong, but interesting. At any rate, if it is parody it's poorly done. It seems more that Capcom insists on believing their audience is all 10 years old and writes down to that level.

myopiczeal

Jan 24, 2008
And a transcript:

Now here's something that hasn't graced the home console market in a snarling zombie dog's age - the rail shooter, also known as the FPS for the bone-idle. This is exactly the sort of thing the Wii was tailor-made for, but some might say that a mindless infinite-ammo approach is a betrayal of Resident Evil's survival-horror roots - until, that is, you remember that the series officially kicked survival-horror in the head around the time Resident Evil 4 was letting you mow down your first legion of unruly Spanish peasants.

Umbrella Chronicles is a difficult game to comprehend. It appears to be a celebration of Resident Evil's storyline, which to my mind is like celebrating Andrew Lloyd Webber's devilish handsomeness. Part of Resident Evil's charm is that it still takes itself seriously, despite having the most atricously written story and dialogue of any product of human endeavour since Hulk Hogan took one too many clotheslines to the head and decided he could act.

For the uninitiated, the Umbrella Corporation is a bioweapons giant with very gullible investors, a bizarre obsessive-compulsive tendency to build secret research labs under things, and a policy for exclusively hiring one-armed stroke victims to handle all their dangerous viruses. Do you remember what the villains from Captain Planet were like? How they'd steal an oil tanker, and deliberately run smack into a beach to teach all the sea lions a lesson in complacency? Do you remember wondering why they didn't just sell the oil at huge profits and not have to get beaten up by a big blue man in little red pants? Well, that's basically the Umbrella Corporation. It's controlled by a handful of people who, in any sane world, would have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act before they could even finish presenting their proposal to murder 90% of their research staff. A villain whose only motivation is a total commitment to being a bastard is not good storytelling. It leaves plot holes the size of a catamite's rectum, like where they keep finding investment, despite their inability to work out the rather glaring design flaw in a supersoldier with an enormous herniated major organ.

Umbrella Chronicles is a heavily cut-down retread of three of the major Resident Evil games, starring Johnny Bravo, a prostitute, an idiot, a mullet, a nine-year-old boy, a brick shithouse, and Carlos. And despite being given this opportunity to revise things, it's gratifying to see Capcom continue their proud tradition of unintentionally hilarious dialogue. "I have a bad feeling about this," announces Jill Valentine, after having been repeatedly savaged by the undead, demonstrating her vital intuitive ability to sense danger about an hour after it has commenced. "Where did all these webs come from?" wonders Chris Redfield aloud, while staring directly at a giant spider. And then there's the recurring series baddy (and backstabbing enthusiast) Albert Wesker, whose every line of dialogue is solid gold, because he sounds like Loyd Grossman with throat cancer.

As for the gameplay, what do you want me to say? It's a rail shooter; you point at something you want dead, and keep pressing the button. There aren't many ways you can cock it up. Okay, my old nemesis Quick Time Events make an appearance, but this is really one of the few kinds of games where they might be appropriate, since you're already being prompted to mash buttons with the response time of a paranoid gnat. On the whole, the experience has this charming retro feel to it; it's exactly the sort of thing you used to play on holiday, in some seaside amusement arcade, where your Mum and Dad would leave you, while they walked around a nearby maritime museum, pretending they were enjoying themselves.

It seems, however, that Capcom absent-mindedly forgot that they weren't actually making an arcade game, and didn't have to relentlessly bilk us for coins. The difficulty is very unforgiving at times, with far too many unreasonably brief windows between a monster appearing on screen, and them helping themselves to a Jill sandwich. There's one measly checkpoint in each episode, not counting the boss fight, and when you've fought through a horde by the skin of your teeth only to lose your final millimetre of health to a zombie kitten's corrosive piddle, getting warped back to half an hour ago will not do much to slow the launching of Wiimotes through TV screens. And while I'm complaining, I wanted to try this game out with the Wii Zapper, but those bastards might as well be carved from the wood of the True Cross, for how easy they are to get hold of in this fucking city. But I can't blame Capcom for that, so I'll just blame God, like I usually do.

I admire the spirit of Umbrella Chronicles because, as my Silent Hill: Origins review implied, I admire a series that tries to mix things up, not just release the same game every bloody year, in what is known as "The EA Strategy". And I'm sure Nintendo appreacite having another entry for the critically small list of games where the Wiimote controls are actually appropriate, and not a gimmicky contrivance. But why a rail shooter, of all things? The rail shooter is a thing of yesteryear, a backward step down Anachronism Avenue. And let's not forget that the Resident Evil story isn't so complex that it needs reiteration.

All in all, it's a very unnecessary game, which gaming history will swiftly forget. If you like the prospect of Capcom wanking off in your face for a few hours, then knock yourself out, but personally, I preserve the privilege of wanking off in my face for only my closest friends and Valve employees.

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
Hilarious. Whatever the escapist is paying you it isn't enough ;)

Edit: Nice transcript by myopiczeal

Esta

Jan 2, 2008
Great review. In fact, my favorite in a while. Didn't much care for the Silent Hill review as much as others, but this one made me laugh pretty hard.

Nice job Yaht.

Gab

Oct 12, 2007
I liked Umbrella Chronicles, but I also loved this review as well. One of your better ones, I think; there were numerous laugh-out-loud moments for me. I think my favorite part was the mention of a monster helping himself to a "Jill sandwich", which I can only assume was a great reference to that classic line from the original Resident Evil. All you needed was some mention of "master of unlocking" and you'd have covered all your bases. ;)

Demonbear

Jan 24, 2008
Yeah I agree to that too, otherwise you'll end up being forced to review every damn flavor-of-the-month shooter. And we all know how exciting that is.....

Review what you want man, even if its a 8 years old rpg, i dont care.

Northern

Dec 1, 2007
Good review, my favourite part was your comment about the EA syndrome. Hahaha. Anyway, it seems most of your reviews (correct me if I'm wrong) tend to dislike a game more than like it. So the question comes up: do you like to play games? Or are you just getting tired or how games are going downhill since you first joined the gaming community.

Looking forward to the next one. Would like a COD4 one, but review what you want.

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
Goddammit that is not a fucking mullet.

THIS is a mullet.

Confusing a medium length slick back with a mullet is as bad as Bono confusing his frosted perm with a mullet.

Gab

Oct 12, 2007
Northern said:
So the question comes up: do you like to play games? Or are you just getting tired or how games are going downhill since you first joined the gaming community.
Yahtzee's whole thing is taking the piss out of games. So naturally he'll pay much more attention in reviews to the negatives than the positives. That doesn't mean it's an actually representative view of what he really thought. Unless he absolutely savages a game to shreds (such as he did with Clive Barker's Clive Barker's Jericho by Clive Barker), chances are he probably actually liked it or at least did not find it terrible.

Saylex

Nov 15, 2007
I thought my day couldn't get any better past the review until I saw Dr. Whigs post a boss mullet. I had to get up and walk out of my room when I saw that mullet from the laughter. Thumbs up to you, Whigs. On to the review, I loved it. He hit on everything Resident Evil does and, sad to say, they do it well. Which is why us gamers (and the Escapist, in Yahtzee's case) buy them, play them and giggle at them. I'm surprised you didn't get on the case of Carlos and his "Chica" quote that he had in one of the levels. While another example of horrible dialog, you have to admit...hearing a white guy say Chica in a white guy voice is very unnerving. Great review!

-Long Post Man