Zero Punctuation: Resistance 3

vortexgods

Apr 24, 2008
This is what I call a rave review from Yahtzee... he's so hard on games all the time that a review like this is like an A-

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Skyrim may count as the 3rd Elder Scrolls series. But, I would be wrong because they had The Arena, Morrowind, Oblivion, and now coming out with Skyrim so it'd be 4th. Darn it! XD
you do realize skirim is the FIFTH elder scrolls game, not the fourth?

you forgot TES II: Daggerfall

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Sexy Devil said:
Sudenak said:
Damn. Had my hopes up that a game was finally pushing ahead with nice game mechanics, only to learn that it's basically ripping off HL2. Hopefully it's just a massive coincidence and we'll once more see an FPS that doesn't require you to suck your thumb in a corner.

Until then, I'll cling to my Heretic and Hexen and gaze longingly at next-gen graphics.
That is just a running joke for his review. They had been applying these mechanics in Ratchet & Clank long before HL2. Ratchet and Clank fighting is just stylised differently but the non-regenerating health, the copious quantities of weapons and weird guns are all there.

So next time check if the developers have been designing their games that way for the past 9 years before you start giving them crap.
I was going to say something about that, but you did much better job. thanks.

Jian-Li

Mar 24, 2010
I laughed at the end part where that circle said "Insert Viewers Face Here" Make more funny visual style insults to the viewers like that.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Yahtzee, you smooth talking rapscallion, that was a genuinely enjoyable critique of a game! In a game you clearly enjoyed, that enjoyment carried through to your review. :) I really had a bigger blast watching than I normally do. It hearkened back to the days of old when your reviews were fresh and new.

There are worse things than ripping off Valve. They could be ripping off... Square-Enix or something.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
I liked the ending - we don't get light hearted humor as much these days from Yahtzee

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
That review was certainly a cut above the average.

I hope this game (and later Serious Sam 3) marks the depopularization of these stupid modern shooter mechanics that have so bum-fucked the FPS genre.

It's better to be a good ripoff than a bad original work (the word "original" being used in the loosest sense.)

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
That was the best ZP in a long time. Yahtzee was a bit of a ham in this one, which is always great. Shame Resistance 3 is a PS3 exclusive.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
So they realised Resistance 2 was worse than 1 and put everything that made 1 cool back in?
(the health system, carry a truckload of guns)

Oh dear me, I might actually want to buy this game now.

Shame Yahtzee didn't play R1, it was quite good in fact, easily the PS3's best launch title.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Reading the first posts here, I realize most people can't remember the line "nobody likes it when I'm being nice to a game". The only reason he compared it to HL2 was to make the review hilarious. And that he managed.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I have to be fair, this is one of the funniest reviews Yahtzee has done in quite some time. It makes me regret not having a PS3 just so I can view the Jimmy Hendrix experience for myself. And the touch with the imps at the end sure made me giggle.

I can't wait for your next review now.

Alduin Silas

Aug 3, 2011
I'd love to think Resistance is actually starting a comeback for intelligent fps, and that the game industry will realise that we don't all the regen health and ridiculous Press X to cover. Let's face it, when we ran into a monster thorwing fireballs in Doom, we got behind something quickly. So much more strategy required than getting to cover in Splinter Cell or Bloodstone.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Triforceformer said:
Yahtzee? Flat-out liking a modern-day FPS? The one that was essentially the starting gun for FPS Season 2011 no less? If I actually had a PS3, I'd buy this game just to see if the game dispenses some form of drug directly into the pleasure center of your brain.
It's called "Nostalgi-A"