Zero Punctuation: Resistance 3

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
psicat said:
But wait a minute wasn't Half Life 2 also basically just a rip off of Halo: Combat Evolved. They are both FPS with non regenerating health. Both have silent protagonist in a power suit is the only one who can save humanity from the aliens, along with his perky female companion. And, of course both game titles start with an H, so Valve must of copied Bungie, and in turn they now get copied by Insomniac.
Half-Life came out in 1998, Halo came out in 2001.

Resistance did come out more recently, but it's more like them to have ideas copied from them, not by them. Before Painkiller had one gun that shoots shurikens and lightning, Insomniac already had lightning guns and shuriken guns.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
By the sounds of things this could be a good game to play while waiting for Half Life 3.

Yes, I said Half Life 3 not episode 3. Sue me.

SonofSeth

Dec 16, 2007
Since he finally allowed himself to admit a game here and there is actually fun, the reviews are much more entertaining and interesting.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
The resistance series have always been polarizing for me. Liked the first game because of the variety of the weapons you get carry around and the mindless circle-strafing style of shooting. Then Resistance 2 came out and ruined everything good about the first game.

I don't mind two weapons and regen as long as they're used well. that's not the case with R2, you die too bloody fast and barely have the time to react to anything. I don't mind challenge but when you put cloaked enemies in tight, linear corridors that literally spawn in front of your face and can one-hit kill you, you've crossed the line of challenging gameplay to just being a cruel bastard.

I might actually pick R3 up because of the co-op and return of the weapon wheel. I'm also interested in how this game rips-off Metro 2033. Love that game.

hoov

Jan 21, 2009
Why are people acting like it's odd Yahtzee actually liked the game. He liked Driver: San Francisco even more last week, are your memories that short? It's not that rare that he actually quite likes a game.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Definitely one of the best ZP's, I don't always laugh a lot but with this one I most certainly did for whatever reason.

Aug 1, 2010
A BEARD???????

THOSE DASTARDLY SLIMEBALLS!!!

OT: Best review in a VERY long time. Not a big fan of the game, since the first one did all of these things only better, but hey, it was nice to see Yahtzee having fun.

wehrp3nguin

Dec 21, 2009
They didn't entirely copy Valve, they released a game with a 3 in the title! Which yea, I guess everyone but Valve did this, this year.

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
You forgot the GOOD 3 that's coming out! Saint's Row the Third!

Yahtzee's gonna love seeing another Saint's Row, I hope.

Morthasa

Jun 22, 2011
The last minute in the review was easily one of the funniest ZP episode finales I have ever seen.

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
That was great. The ending here had me laughing harder than any other ZP of recent memory. :)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sums up my feelings for the game. Good gameplay, although the enemies can be a little dumb at times, lots of weapons, no regen health. But the story left a little to be desired. And that ending just sucked. Terrible. No one even talked in it.
Never noticed all the parallels with Half-Life. I did catch the Ravenholm/Mine one, but nothing else. Pretty funny.

I would also like to mention that this game has full online campaign co op, which makes it a blast to play. :) Surprised Yahtzee didn't mention that.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Appearantly the BS where you died every 10 seconds from invisible monsters or got swamped by about 5 dozen fast zombies twenty times before reaching the next bloody savepoint got left out.

And more than 2 weapons and no more regenerating health?
Bloody brilliant!

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Versuvius said:
Fucking typical. A shooter with all of the mechanics i liked that were lost are back but only because Half Life got raped in the shower and woke up in a bathtub full of ice missing all of it's internal organs. I still might buy it though. Beggars can't be choosers when something passably different pops up and wiggles it's juicy buns in my face.
I loved this analogy