Zero Punctuation: Ride to Hell: Retribution

Steve2911

May 3, 2010
Aww, the addressing of TLOU fans filled me with fuzzy feelings.

Seen a few LPs of this game (and I'm the sort of person who never bothers with LPs) and it's just glorious. I don't know how Deep Silver sleeps at night.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Mr. Yahtzee is not alone in this one.

This games has gotten such stellar reviews such as 0,5/10, 1/10 and top that off with 20/100 in metacritic from 9 reviews. Eurogamer gave this nice little quote: "I am going outside now. I am going outside. Look, it's raining. This game is my Shawshank. I am leaving the house now. I am leaving the house."

This is the game that makes all critics to stop being polite. I wonder if Jim will have this in his worst of year 2013.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
My only previous experience with this game is this video.

This really could be gaming's Plan 9 From Outer Space.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
Vie said:
It's Plan 9 from outer space bad?
I can't really say since it was released in the mid 1900's but I did find out it was likely the very first bad movie filmed by independents other than an actual film studio. You can look it up, there's even a Trope for it somewhere "So bad it's good", I guess people just like to laugh at the extreme horribleness of it.

OT: Full Throttle: Big Grit Rig edition is all i got from this.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I watched Jesse do a small Let's Play of this and.... good lord. Like Yahtzee, I can't think of anything the game does right. Characters are stylized in a cartoony way, but the game takes itself so seriously that it feels out of place. Gameplay looks repetative and bland through most of it. Most of the QTEs are the same for the cloned enemies that are constantly thrown at the player, especially during the motorcycle segments. Those "sex scenes" are unnecessary and just .... uncomfortably awkward. I recommend everyone just watch that rather than buy it. Find a LP of it and just watch the madness without going mad yourself.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Can you imagine it?

If we basically took this game, and went as far with it as people have done with MLP? Fan fiction, fan art, a con, websites, avatars, gifs, youtube clips all over the place etc.

Imagine how many how many market researchers and focus testers heads would (metaphorically) explode.

It'd be the funniest thing ever.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I'm reasonably sure market researchers are aware of the existence of "cult classics."

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
I just watched Two Best Friends play this literally seconds after coming here and seeing you reviewing the same damn thing.

It's too much.
Ugh I tried watching that. Those guys are way too loud. Not Pewdiepie annoying but getting there.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
So, I watched the Last of Us review, and maybe its because I knew better then to delve into the comments but just what did you people say? I mean, to make Yahtzee do a review because people bitched some game wasn't the greatest gift to mankind? Can I get a tl;dr on what kind of childish fallout that review created?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Thanks for a great laugh Yahtzee and yes I did wasted my money on this to see just how awful it was unfortunately.

Every 5 minutes I told myself why I am doing this, but to my apparent luck I only encountered a few of those god awful glitches. The game was monotone regardless of progressing stopping bugs.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Ah yes, that Last Of Us whinging was fun to read through. XD

And yes, from what I've seen of Ride To Hell, this could definitely be gaming's Plan 9.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Casual Shinji said:
I just watched Two Best Friends play this literally seconds after coming here and seeing you reviewing the same damn thing.

It's too much.
Ugh I tried watching that. Those guys are way too loud. Not Pewdiepie annoying but getting there.
Really? I absolutely love those guys.

They're the only let's player I really follow.

Everyday I'm looking forward to their next installment of Let's Play The Last of Us.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
I watched some gameplay of it. Oh gawd it really is terrible. XD

LelouchLawliet85 said:
I would love if he would do a retro review on Vagrant Story. I think it was a great game for its time. That or a retro review on Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. It is one of the Castlevania 3D games that I think actually did it right while still being Castlevania, unlike the current Lords of Shadows version. It never gets much mention though and it had a pretty interesting battle system for a Castlevania game.
Curse of Darkness and Lament of Innocence were really good.
My copy of curse of darkness broke or something halfway through my play though.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I don?t know enough about the inevitable yathzee doesn?t like the last of us fallout, to know if it?s a bunch of gamers crying that a reviewer has an opinion, or if they have a much more well thought out problem with yathzee video, so I can?t really judge.

I?m too poor to afford so bad its good games unfortunately, but I might check out a let?s play.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I really hope next week is SMTIV. Come on Yahtzee, you've liked Atlus games before, give it a try.

OT: I might check it out for the monstrosity it is.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
It's nice to see that the sex scenes from Sons of Anarchy translated ok. Too bad it ditched all the decent parts, that just looks beyond all redemption.

That part at the beginning was really unexpected. All is forgiven.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Because every so often, Yahtzee throws away all pretense of being a respectable critic and takes a delightful shit on some truly worthy property (See: the first Duke Nukem Forever review).
He's not the only one. [http://www.gamespot.com/ride-to-hell-retribution/reviews/ride-to-hell-retribution-review-6411189]

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Casual Shinji said:

It's too much.
Really? I absolutely love those guys.

They're the only let's player I really follow.

Everyday I'm looking forward to their next installment of Let's Play The Last of Us.
Poor Pat. I just wanted to reach into the screen and tell him to get the keycard before turning on the generator when he was in that hotel basement.

Although that flaming bloater death was pretty awesome.

LelouchLawliet85

Mar 3, 2013
KOMega said:
I watched some gameplay of it. Oh gawd it really is terrible. XD

LelouchLawliet85 said:
I would love if he would do a retro review on Vagrant Story. I think it was a great game for its time. That or a retro review on Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. It is one of the Castlevania 3D games that I think actually did it right while still being Castlevania, unlike the current Lords of Shadows version. It never gets much mention though and it had a pretty interesting battle system for a Castlevania game.
Curse of Darkness and Lament of Innocence were really good.
My copy of curse of darkness broke or something halfway through my play though.

They have Lament of Innocence on the PSN now but I am waiting on Curse of Darkness. I never got to beat Curse of Darkness because i traded my ps2 for a ps3 and didn't realize til after I got home that the store lied and it wasn't the backwards compatible one. I never did find one that was for ps2 games. so I just cried silently inside. lol