Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Easily has to be my favorite game of all time.

No shit I found this game being throw out by my local Blockbuster Video, so I bought it for 10 bucks and rubbed it in the face of all of my friends immediately.

Vyce

Chaos Dragon
Mar 19, 2009
It's nice that you don't like RTSes, but don't get on a high horse and start bashing the genre to high hell.

Anyway, I've been wanting to play this game for ages since I got my hands on the demo, never got around to ICO past the demo either..

Sanmei

Aug 11, 2010
Can anyone who has watched more than one Zero Punctuation episode honestly be surprised if Yahtzee bashes something he doesn't like?

Your once and future Fanboy

The Norwegian One
Feb 11, 2009
Am i the only one who thinks this game is average at best?

60% of the game is riding a horse, with no more dificulty or sense of wonder than in any other cheap game, and it gets really old, really quick, by the first three colossi you are so sick of it that you want to kill your horse just to be doing something different.

The bosses are samy for the most part, there are 16 of them and they have mabye 6-8 that feel different.
The Payoff at the end is non-existent! you kill final boss, you return, you die!
Sorry that i didnt ad the --Spoilers-- thing but the game is so old that its like saying that Vader is Luke's father
But i didn't feel any conection to the "character". and i put up the "" signs because you can simply replace him with an empty polygon or the team Ico logo, He is just a piece for you to control.

as for the "art" stamp it has been branded with, Yeah the locations and music are beautiful, but if thats all i wanted i whould have put on Beethoven's "Ode to joy" or Edward Grieg's "Morgenstemning" and studied the "Scream" painting by Edward Münch.

Its a game i whould recomend renting, playing it through once, returned it and forget.

EDIT: Oh, and great review as always, even though i dont always agree with Yathzee, he always makes great videos.

scoopsss

Mar 17, 2010
AkJay said:
The only thing I can take from Yahtzee's refusal to review SC2 is
"OOH! LOOK AT ME! I'm bashing a wildly popular game! look! LOOK AT HOW INDEPENDENT I AM! WAKE UP SHEEPLE!"

well. Jog on.
yeah, for a guy who scream for inovation every single episode he sure isn't keen on trying out a whole other genre

RTK1576

Aug 4, 2009
A few bits.

Shadow of the Colossus. Looks like a great game. Probably will never play it unless it gets ported to the PC someday. In terms of that review, Yahtzee was his usual fine self.

As to the SCII hate: you know, I enjoy Yahtzee for his marvelous rants. I enjoy them despite the fact that several of the games he rips into (Dead Space, Bioshock 2) I consider pefectly fine games. Yahtzee is Yahtzee - if he didn't hate, what would we have to love? However, I do think that a level of ettiquette might be a tinsy-tinny required. Chiefly, the idea that if you don't like a certain type of game (i.e. RTS) and you must heartlessly bash the players that do, at least man up and REVIEW the damn game. I've always considered him balsy and unflinching - I don't want to consider him petty.

Valiard

Feb 26, 2009
cmon if you have been watching yahtzee you know he dosent like certain genres (JRPGs,MMO's,RTS's ) for a start. You know what kind of person he is and you know that he will bash people places and things, its not much of a leap guy.

Mykayel1

Jul 27, 2010
This really surprised me because I was actually telling someone (a huge SC2 fan, who pre-ordered some delux edition or something) that if StarCraft II is for them a huge departure from StarCraft 1 then he is not very pretentious. I actually used Shadow Of The Colossus as a contrast in both the fun factor and the evolution of a game.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Well we all kinda knew he was going to like it but it was entertaining none the less. I really need to get around to playing Shadow of the Colossus, Ico and Okami.

Cptn_Squishy

Mar 4, 2009
What I like about his retro reviews is that its not just him jerking off to his favorite games, but rather a contrast between what current games are and what they SHOULD be.

This is why you'll never see a review from Yahtzee like one I read (I think it was Game Informer) for Halo 3 -- 'Its flaws arent enough to prevent it from getting a perfect score.' What?

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
RTK1576 said:
A few bits.

Shadow of the Colossus. Looks like a great game. Probably will never play it unless it gets ported to the PC someday. In terms of that review, Yahtzee was his usual fine self.

As to the SCII hate: you know, I enjoy Yahtzee for his marvelous rants. I enjoy them despite the fact that several of the games he rips into (Dead Space, Bioshock 2) I consider pefectly fine games. Yahtzee is Yahtzee - if he didn't hate, what would we have to love? However, I do think that a level of ettiquette might be a tinsy-tinny required. Chiefly, the idea that if you don't like a certain type of game (i.e. RTS) and you must heartlessly bash the players that do, at least man up and REVIEW the damn game. I've always considered him balsy and unflinching - I don't want to consider him petty.
He actually talked about why he wasn't going to review it, and his thoughts on the RTS genre, in a previous "extra punctuation".

lichelord

Aug 12, 2010
The 'twoo luv' thing was GREAT, you would get along well in this house; we have similar feelings for Romeo and Juliet.

And is ANYONE else here a gamer, and a climber? Did anyone else just ADORE the fact that one game designer knew what "utterly pumped out" meant? Because that is realism... as far as climbing on giant monsters goes. You climb, you get 'pumped.' Your arms swell, you have to learn how to rest in route-- so, instead of giving the player a 'shake-out' and 'de-pump' move, understandably, the designer opted to simply pump out the avatar until he fell. Masterful. Tirade over. Jolly well done, cheers.

Dundore77

Aug 12, 2010
I like how out of all the things you said were good about it you forgot how bad the games climbing controls are. There is so much lag between you telling your guy to move its either too late or half the time the dumb ass will just be sitting there humping the colossus's arm like a horny shih tzu. The only redeeming quality about this game is the music and thats not enough to make up for the crap controls which ruin the boss fights (in other words the entire game).

eclw

Mar 4, 2010
What's with the 'man up' thing?

'Man up and review the game...'

Man up and fight a grizzly bear. Man up and phone your mum. But man up and review a computer game? Girlfriend, please.

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
You know I have been wondering why "Deadly Premonitions" hasn't been reviewed by you. I have seen a couple short play through videos of the opening levels with a lot of positive commentary. I have also seen lots of strange reviews for the game about how even though the controls are sticky and the driving is difficult that the narrative is quite immersing, something you very much enjoy. It is also of the horror genre and very inexpensive. So why is it none of the weird, inexpensive, horror has drawn you in?

Malmer

Apr 23, 2008
What is this.
My immediate thought was this: Hey, here might just be the first person who dare to speak out against the hype of the internet masses. But no. Nobody in the world dares speak against the almighty "Shadow of the Colossus". This arid piece of mundane code.

1. Ride forever in brown/green landscapes. CHECK.
2. 10 minutes of figuring out how to beat thing. Climb, fall, retry for over half an hour till dead. CHECK.
3. Disney ending with birds and flowers. CHECK.

Must be the most pedestrian 6 hours of gaming time I've ever spent. Can a game this short even be released these days without catching hell?
For enhanced entertainment value, next time hype me some DICE.

Cuppa Tetleys

Mar 22, 2010
Alfador_VII said:
I really have to try to find this game. It's just not out there any more unless I spend silly money on Ebay for a probably scratched disc in a broken box.
My problem exactly!! I want it soo much but people are just selling it for ridiculous prices on the internet and I'm not willing to pay £50 for a game that came out years ago.

dragcrew

Aug 20, 2009
very well done, just a small critique (the irony) both girls and guys have X chromsomes, but i know where your going :) ...anyway well done on yet another great vid