Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
Not much talk of Agro the horse. I'm a little disappointed with that since it was your only companion in the entire bloody game.

vivec

Nov 21, 2009
COOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY!

Agent_PoRK

Jan 4, 2009
Yahtzee you are very naive and stupid. Prolly cuz u live 1000s of miles away from anything important.

Malmer

Apr 23, 2008
Horny Ico said:
Malmer said:
3. Disney ending with birds and flowers. CHECK.
That's a nice bullshit mountain you have there. What's so Disney about not being allowed to enjoy your victory because you've been turned into a baby?
Forgiveness and rebirth. Fate worse than death.

Also: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4995/birdsnflowers.jpg

RottingAwesome

Aug 15, 2009
i always enjoy when you do reviews of the older games =D
i haven't played sotc yet (im working on getting it >_<) but the part about not wanting to stop playing just to see what the next guy was like seems to be what always happens to me when i play the nmh games
sotc seems to take that feeling to a whole other level though so ill be sure to pick it up soon

Epigone

Nov 21, 2009
This game needed a little something something. I think having some hidden treasure around the world would be pretty fun. Add to the whole exploration idea.

Sanmei

Aug 11, 2010
I wasn't aware Disney owned the copyright on flora and fauna. Better not include those in any future games, video game developers! Nature is now a trademark of Walt Disney Studios!

Incidentally, that garden is on top of the shrine and you can ascend to it if you have either mad skills or a high enough grip gauge.

The game does have hidden items, but they wanted to focus on the idea of accomplishing a seemingly impossible goal with limited resources the first time around. It's a game that rather forces you into the confines of a more realistic, if unreasonable set of expectations, rather than having little tidbits here and there from the machinations of God Almighty to help you along.

And yes, it is the consumer's fault if they have completely different expectations for a game than what they receive. Granted, it's less fair to the consumer when the game first comes out and they have few resources to draw upon to have any idea what the game is about, but if a player picked up Pacman and expected Castle Wolfenstein, is it the developers' fault for Pacman not having shotguns and shooting arena goodness?

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Malmer said:
What is this.
My immediate thought was this: Hey, here might just be the first person who dare to speak out against the hype of the internet masses. But no. Nobody in the world dares speak against the almighty "Shadow of the Colossus". This arid piece of mundane code.

1. Ride forever in brown/green landscapes. CHECK.
2. 10 minutes of figuring out how to beat thing. Climb, fall, retry for over half an hour till dead. CHECK.

Must be the most pedestrian 6 hours of gaming time I've ever spent. Can a game this short even be released these days without catching hell?
For enhanced entertainment value, next time hype me some DICE.
...Not sure if trolling or if this is one of those opinions people throw out because it sounds so silly and dated. 0_o

reiem531

Aug 26, 2009
Malmer said:
What is this.
My immediate thought was this: Hey, here might just be the first person who dare to speak out against the hype of the internet masses. But no. Nobody in the world dares speak against the almighty "Shadow of the Colossus". This arid piece of mundane code.

1. Ride forever in brown/green landscapes. CHECK.
2. 10 minutes of figuring out how to beat thing. Climb, fall, retry for over half an hour till dead. CHECK.

Must be the most pedestrian 6 hours of gaming time I've ever spent. Can a game this short even be released these days without catching hell?
For enhanced entertainment value, next time hype me some DICE.
^Once again, this person did not understand the game and is still bitter about it.

Giandroid

Jun 15, 2010
RAWR I hate those full page ad things. Can't I watch a video without clogging my RAM's arteries and being forcibly distracted by the latest Stupid RPG 6?

Anyway, this was one of his best ones for a long time. But he seems to have trouble ending his videos lately. "DAMN DAMN DAMN GOOD" didn't quite have the same ring as "Whistled for a babboon."

NeverMemory

Aug 12, 2009
Well, I'd like that 5 minutes of my life back. At first I thought that it's a little odd seeing review of a game that's been out for god knows how long; I thought that maybe there is another newly released title that somehow had the exact same name or something. But I was wrong.

I've always thought that the swearing thing fits Yahtzee really well, because it sort of gives me the impression that this guy means business. But now I realized that Yahtzee only swears becuase he is a ****, a dick that like to screw every living thing on the face of the Earth.

Well, my patience with Yahtzee is running thin, so I told myself that the next time I saw something this unprofessional, I should stop watching zero-punctuation for good. I mean there was the DC tour where it's basically couple minutes watching couple dudes driving, and there is this tantrum.......enough is enough !!

reachforthesky

Jun 13, 2010
There were things in SOTC that I still don't understand how they did. You can be holding on to a grassy wall, and have it turn into a ceiling, then a floor, while you're still holding on, with no scripts or breaks. I have yet to see that reproduced in any modern game. Not to mention having giant lumbering entities maneuvering around relatively small and occasionally obstacle-ridden environments in a realistic fashion. Also, aside from the first and the last colossi, all of them would be fine if they would just ignore you...I always found this interesting.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Glad that he didn't review SCII.

It's one of those games that I really don't have to read anything about. Whatever opinion people will have on StarCraft II will probably just be the same opinion on the original StarCraft.

Was no expecting Shadow of the Colossus, though.