Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill Origins

HappyZealot

Dec 26, 2007
...Bjork? Funny how almost no one in her own homeland seems to be interested in her but yet she pops up everywhere else.

Nice review by the way, suspect that your schedule of too popular games has been ended so you can go and check games out that you are actually interested in.

step2ice

Oct 26, 2007
VMerken said:
until the point that you have to backtrack through all of them with a companion that makes Sherry Birkin (RE2) the most userfriendly tagalong ever.

Also, fighting ghosts? Totally unnecessary and tacked on.
Thats what I meant with visiting the levels again.
I guess the point was that you'd had to protect Maria/Mary (was that her name?) and it should give you ahigher fear level. Person you care for etc.

But as you said it was not really working out.
For me mainly because the level recycling was annoying.
As for the AI, I didn't notice that it was so bad and I really didn't have a problem with it.
It was just not working out as good as it should had.

And for the ghosts. Well again the idea was to give you not a brief moment where you're really save.
And again, I was pretty much neutral on that. I neither liked nor really hated it.

What did stuck with me were the idea of the room the protagonist was locked in.
The hole in the wall where you would come into the dreamlandscape of those victims who had no clue.
Walter and when you were visiting him in his past with the real strange/warm tune playing in the background.
The big head of the women whose eyes were following you, etc. etc.

Combat always sucked in Silent Hill so I won't hit on that nail.

But overall part 4 was really great.
And considering all the hyping lately about various mediocre games it is strange thinking about this game with so many nice ideas got rated so bad.
But maybe it was before the big hype wave.

Anyway, I still will give Origins a chance when the PS2 port is out.
When it comes at what it is though, a low price title. :p

Etheo

Nov 7, 2007
Finally! After a long time waiting Yahtzee you're finally FUNNY again. It feels as if the last few ones you lost your drive or something and I hardly chuckled, but this one had me laughed out loud. Perhaps you need a game you care about before you can actually put the bitterness in maximum drive and blasts out the funnies? Anyways, good job being Yahtzee again ;)

Zaphack

Jan 9, 2008
I can't believe you mentioned Invader ZIM. Jesus, could you be any cooler? Great review! Keep 'em coming!

quantumsaint

Dec 12, 2007
Weapon degradation is one of the reasons I couldn't play WoW. FFXI just seemed better designed in terms of equipment to me.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I love it how one of the Invader Zim people is actually a picture or himself. The other 3 look like a bunch of random people. Ah well. Great review as per usual. I enjoy every one. Pity I haven't played a Silent Hill game and unless they release them to the 360 I preobably never will either. A shame.

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
I really want to play the Silent Hill series, everyone says it's a horror movie in game form. I trust you more then my other sources because they all told me FEAR was scary as hell but it's a sissy game, saying allot because I freak out and get nervous very easily. Thanks for confirming. I'm alright with a bad story as long as I get chills down my spine and tolerable dialog. If this is just for the PSP I probably won't be getting the one you reviewed. I may be ok at quick timing since I read the ending message without pausing.

TimeTraveller

Jan 6, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Oblivion is the only game I think that has been improved by item degradation, and that only because of the high level armourer skill that lets you repair items to beyond 100% functionality.
Personally I'd be one rich elven thief mage and pretty far into major quests if it wasn't for the fact that I have to do hundreds of silly things to pay for weapon repair, especially the ruddy magic ones. It does make the game fuller and more challenging, but really really irritating at times.

I do very much agree that Dead Rising would be downright boring if the weapons never ran out. Definately the only game where weapon degradation is a good thing.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Well, the game was far from bad. There are bad things about it. Main problems was camera in fact. As for weapons. They should last longer, far longer.
Yes, it is quite a sidestep from a Silent Hill formula. On the other hand its more of a game. Controls actually work good this time (as they did in 4). Combat which is a MAJOR part of the game is hugely improved from his beloved second part. And story is as messed up as always. Now if they only put better puzzles in there while avoiding guess-o-matic system from previous games (now how would you guess that letting Walter keep his doll make him weaker as an endboss)

Kapn Kyuubi

Jan 7, 2008
I agreed with everything you said about the Silent Hill series except for what you said about Origins itself. For a fan of SH2 surely the many similarities origins shared with it were nostalgically good for you too, and some of the area designs were ingenious like the theater. I also liked the concept of the Butcher and how this game at least had blood in it. Also Travis tayed in the town 'cause the chasms wouldn't let him leave. Nice review nonetheless.

a big stupid idiot

Jan 9, 2008
I agree with you that Silent Hill 4 had the best story, but personally I think Silent Hill 3 was the best in the series. Don't get me wrong, 2 was brilliant, but personally I liked Heathers character more than I did James.

Also I do have hopes for Silent Hill 5, though I am kind of nervous that the developers have no idea what there doing. But who knows, maybe 5 will be a nice surprise.

TimeTraveller

Jan 6, 2008
I hear that in SH5 there is more inter-action with your environment. Like if you bump into stuff too much you attract monsters.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Chis said:
Absolutely sublime from start to finish. Top form: I don't want to hear anyone complain about slow delivery this week, you bastards.

The only fly in the ointment: pre-Kid A Radiohead sucks and is for tragically emo teenagers.
What? No it's not....I'm not TRAGICALLY emo..
Pre-Kid A Radiohead should be thought of as a totally different band than post Kid A. I like both bands.

Yes, I am a Radiohead fanboy.

The review was awesome. Good to see (hear, I guess) Yahtzee has regained the ability to mock games in a hilarious way at lightning speed. And the ending (involving the removal of spinal cords and feasting on ass) was hilarious. Now I feel stupid for admitting that. I've got such a sophomoric sense of humour.

twilight_dweller

Sep 22, 2007
Dark Shikari said:
There has been a good game with weapon degradation--its called System Shock 2, Yahtzee ;) and I named it before the second was up, too!

Agreed with the rest of the review though.
That's the exception that proves the rule.

viciousmaniac

Oct 24, 2007
Count me in as one who pans SH4's story along with the gameplay.

The problem for me was that the story seemed a bit too standard j-horror, sometimes even slasher flick-ian.

There are folks lining up to be butchered by this supernatural madman, whom conveniently just can't do the same so easy to some regular schmo, a.k.a. the hero, and his girlfriend. Silly madman.

Mr. Madman himself is interesting (sometimes the only character that is so) but his characterization ends up getting lost in the endless explanation for how he can do what he does (mystic mumbo jumbo no one cares about).

He is invariably undone by the goodies being told of loopholes to his mumbo jumbo as if it was all some tax code to be dodged, all thanks to that specter in the ceiling with all the exposition. Goodies win or not, depending on ending, and Pyramid Head shrugs and goes back to being cooler than the entire plot of SH4.

It all sounds too shoehorned into a horror series that was doing ok without all that rubbish. That's probably because SH4 was intended to be a unique horror title, not an SH game (the shift probably occured in anticipation to the possible negs the gameplay would get).

I also don't understand why Travis can be subjected to critical grief when the original King Random Berk of Silent Hill, Henry, gets off with with worse. He is often but one line in SH4: "What the hell...?". At least Travis dares boldly to don the Marty McFly jacket.

Could've also been the horrendous, at times stupid gameplay that affected the narrative too much for me to appreciate it. Why is silly Walter insisting on ignoring Henry and Eileen and going after flying bugs in, er, his own dreamscape? Priorities much? Do the bugs remind him of cockroaches in his cereal when he was young? I've an urge to look up YouTube videos of people knocking those burping corpses down flights of stairs again...

neojam

Sep 21, 2007
I as well think that SH games are dead now...
I understood it right after i've heard that the series will be taken over by those western developers, Climax and The Collective.

First, if you look at their prior games, youll see that most of those games are mediocre at best (except the few racing games by Climax).
Second, even if they've had only AAA games on their lists, i doubt that they would have managed to get the atmosphere, characters, design and the story right...
I believe its only possible for Japanese folks with their twisted minds/ideas and unlimited determination. ^_^
Most original and crazy ideas come from japan (MGS, SH, Fatal frame, Katamari, Okami & etc), while nowadays here in the West people are only good at creating FPS games(with very few exceptions)...

Dec 15, 2007
Honestly, I think I can say that this is my least favorite review. I cracked a smile at the end, but I don't want to think that you're going the route of Kippurbird, even though, from this route, it seems that you are. If I'm ever obligated to see these reviews, someone please shoot me.