Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill Origins

Dec 15, 2007
hex1 said:
I don't know how you can diss Zim forums looking at your recent standards of writing. I mean come on, your humour's gone to hell, every other word is fag, shit, arse or cock. You spent too much time in America. Have a look at some of the old stuff on your site, or even the first two or so videos here. By comparison the recent stuff is pathetic. You can do better and I'd love to see it.
Honestly, I really can't say the older videos contain any less cursing, or anything much different from the recent reviews. The difference I noticed was the sound quality. Granted, this review isn't as good as any of the stuff before it.

abyssion1337

Jan 12, 2008
The Summon Night series has the best weapon degradation ever, you're weapons' durabilities go back to full in between battles and breaking enimies' weapons is a good way to defeat them, if you defeat them using this tactic you can then get their weapon.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Exodus74 said:
Ok..Yahtzee, but did you like the game? LOL Can't wait for your review on CoD4. Love your work!
If you listen to what he says your answer shall be receved. You don't have to actually say "I like this game," or, "I dilike this game," to actually say those things.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
PurpleRain said:
Exodus74 said:
Ok..Yahtzee, but did you like the game? LOL Can't wait for your review on CoD4. Love your work!
If you listen to what he says your answer shall be receved. You don't have to actually say "I like this game," or, "I dilike this game," to actually say those things.
I think you missed the sarcasm.

samuraixyz

Jan 14, 2008
Er... didn't Silent Hill 2 take place in Silent Hill still? SH4 was the one that didn't take place in that town.

hex1

Jan 11, 2008
Carol Pentalentathon said:
hex1 said:
I don't know how you can diss Zim forums looking at your recent standards of writing. I mean come on, your humour's gone to hell, every other word is fag, shit, arse or cock. You spent too much time in America. Have a look at some of the old stuff on your site, or even the first two or so videos here. By comparison the recent stuff is pathetic. You can do better and I'd love to see it.
Honestly, I really can't say the older videos contain any less cursing, or anything much different from the recent reviews. The difference I noticed was the sound quality. Granted, this review isn't as good as any of the stuff before it.
I wasn't complaining about the swearing, couldn't care less (although fag is fast becoming a no-no word even in risqué circles), I was complaining that they seem to have replaced most of the comedy. His humour is now mainly shit-based with a generous littering of swearing. Not a very original, funny or exciting combination.

And I get the feeling I'm missing something in Dr. Whiggs's post... :)

ShadowFlex

Jan 15, 2008
Long time listener, first time caller...(Radio still rocks)

Anyway...

Yes... you know what is so amazing about Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. He posts the links to his video's on this forum, and then all the fans of his reviews flock in to give there opinion (Much like I am now) They sit, I'm guessing, for a good hour, composing these well thought out and constructed posts, and for what. Where is this Yhatzee! Where is the man behind the animation!

Does no one else find it odd that he lacks forums responses >.>

Oh it could be that he has an over whelming god complex, and would be damned to heed the words of his lesser fans! This I would accept but no! There is more...

His fans come back to the forums, time after time! Back to the very pages he leaves blank! He recently reviewed Silent hill... Some may see this as just a game review...But is it really? Or is it a message for someone willing to find it!...

What does it all mean exactly...

I am not sure...

I'm onto you Ben... I'll be waiting for the next clue...

-Hangs up phone-

Ciarog

Nov 21, 2007
"Fill the comments section with ignorance and bile."
-Yahtzee

Honestly, I don't think he likes us none.

SomeBlackGuy

Dec 24, 2007
Ciarog said:
-Yahtzee

I think he's confused on where to go with his reviews.

He posts a game and gives it nothing but praise, alot of people hate it.

He posts a game and gives it nothing but hate, fanboys flame and whine.

He posts a game with a mix of praise and hate, some people still find ways to *****.

Doormat

Jan 16, 2008
I've been a Silent Hill fan since I was 4 foot and had acne.
But it all stopped after number three, as it went downhill,
Silent Hill 'You had me at two'...

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Hm, not as funny as last week's, but that's probably because I've never played any of the Silent Hill games. This review felt a bit esoteric from where I'm standing... or would be if I had bothered to get off my ass at all since getting home yesterday evening.

But... weapon degradation... oh, man... weapons that are doomed to break because they're, god forbid, being used as weapons? Where are the weapons in these games made, an alley in Hong Kong? I'm playing STALKER right now, and wondering how the guns I find have managed to stay in such good shape until I start using them. The damn SVD says '1993' on it and the game takes place in 2011, am I to believe nobody has used the thing in 18 years despite being in the middle of an apocalyptic third-world wasteland? I wouldn't mind if I could get them repaired, but without that possibility, the concept should earn a swift kick in the butt to any developer who even suggests it. I think something with a sort of arcadey, not-taking-itself-all-that-seriously feeling, like Dead Rising may be an exception, but Silent Hill clearly does not fit that criterion. At all.

Back on topic, though, still a very amusing review which provided the sort of information I have come to expect from Zero Punctuation, and helpful in providing an additional title on the unwritten but lengthy 'list of PSP games which I'm just not gonna bother with'. Well done.

p0nda

Aug 25, 2007
SomeBlackGuy said:
Ciarog said:
-Yahtzee

He posts a game with a mix of praise and hate, some people still find ways to *****.
Doesn't matter, people still sit anxiously on a Wednesday morning waiting for another review. Love him or hate him, they're still not going to stop watching him, and that, as they say, is success. I have to admit though, I don't like many of you either.

Muddy62

Jan 2, 2008
p0nda said:
SomeBlackGuy said:
Ciarog said:
-Yahtzee

Doesn't matter, people still sit anxiously on a Wednesday morning waiting for another review. Love him or hate him, they're still not going to stop watching him, and that, as they say, is success. I have to admit though, I don't like many of you either.
Here here

Boricua_bob

Nov 8, 2007
Looks like Yahtzee never played Blade Dancer for the PSP. Weapons break down as much as a rapist with Emo issues. And that's the last thing you want to happen in an RPG game.

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
I know Yahtzee doesn't like the Ultima games, but I absolutely loved Ultimas 6, 7 and the awkwardly named 7 part II. In these games, there is a slight bit of weapon degradation, but only for one weapon in the game, which actually is made of glass. The Glass Sword is the most powerful weapon in the game, and can kill anything with a single blow (provided that it CAN be killed), but to balance out how powerful the sword is, it is only good for one use and then it breaks. I thought it was pretty clever.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Dark Shikari said:
There has been a good game with weapon degradation--its called System Shock 2, Yahtzee ;) and I named it before the second was up, too!

Agreed with the rest of the review though.
Aaaaand I named Fire Emblem within the second, though he doesn't really give you even half a second to answer, which is natural. ^__^ It would have seemed like an eternity, just feeling that second dragging by like a crippled snail in contrast to the otherwise speed-ridden mood you get into when listening to him. Or something.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
I felt the game was rather awesome. It was my first Silent Hill game so pretty much every complaint you had was moot as they seemed to rely on other games. Except for the complaint about self-destructing weapons. My reply, Dead Rising. And I named it in less than a second too.

In short, this was the singular most impressive portable game I had ever played.

Maddoctor

Feb 3, 2008
An amusing one, but I don't entirely agree with some of Yahtzee's statements.
One thing, Travis did have a reason to be in Silent Hill, granted it wasn't as straight forward as getting mail from a dead wife, being the main part of a cult sacrifice, or even trying to find one's daughter, but he had history with the town and had something to overcome to rid himself of guilt. Not only that some digging in the game reveals why that had a cheap Pyramid Head posser, and why he's able to pick up any mundane item and wield it with the veritable skill of a ninja, except for the whole degradation part. Overall not a horrible game, but by no means a fantastic game capable of giving new life to the series. Looking into the pre-game release comments about Travis being mentally disturbed, and one of the endings showing what he was before the game started, ah fantastic garbled audio. Overall a great review though!