Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill Origins

Psychedeliasmith

Jan 1, 2008
I didn't really know what to think of Origins. It ticked all the 'really I just want to play a polished version of Silent Hill 1' boxes but left me cold at the same time - while I was playing it I was hooked, and once I'd finished it I really couldn't bring myself to play it again for extra endings and outfits (I'd replay a Silent Hill game for a Sunny Delight colourscheme and cameos from Mario as the monsters though, oh god. And perhaps a 'toilet' theme that you can tell they're dying to implement.)

It did look gorgeous for the PSP, it was about as big as you'd expect, but I damn well hated that hospital level - oddly, I think I wouldn't have minded if the game had started with the hospital because I expect a slow start (plus it gets it out of the way) but it really dragged and two of the puzzles were absolutely nothing more than 'collect stuff' and you could just walk past all the monsters. Thrills!

And don't get me started on all those televisions. I went round carefully gathering them all up and never needed them once. Part of me was secretly hoping for a 'shelf-stacking' puzzle in a creepy supermarket showdown.

Finally, I noticed someone say 'the only reason Travis didn't just leave was because of those chasms.' Not true. As far as I can tell he doesn't give a damn about those chasms and it'd be a damn sight easier to construct a small bridge if he had to than to risk his life against all those monsters, but the reason the game keeps giving you is 'I cant leave this derelict death-ridden hospital, I SOOO want to know what happened to that surely-now-dead girl' which really seems more like it's the game developer trying to tell you what you should be thinking, and not giving him an adequate response. Really, couldn't they have just 'mysteriously locked' them and not projected a half-hearted protective/detective feel on the otherwise personality-free guy?

boyitsme95

Feb 26, 2008
Weapon degragation was great in Oblivion (Sorry Yahtzee, I know you hate RPGs like that, or do you? Yes? Ok) because it meant you can't take a sword with the ability to blow your enemy to tiny pieces of glass (Not a magic sword, just powerful) over and over as it will break and you will be forced to switch to something like a dagger or a bow, making you more a man/fish/thing with a face made of crap/ogre and less like a god.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
OK So I've been looking up "Silent Hill: Homecoming" - and... I'm gonna place a bet that he may actually have to eat his ass now...

G-Virus

Jun 15, 2008
It's so true: the weapon degradation thing sucks royal balls.
And for the PS2 version, I can't figure out for the life of me why the controls also SUCK ROYAL BALLS! It just seems really clunky.
And unrealistic.

....lol. *glee*
....also lol. *Tommy Testosterone Tits*

Hopefully, Silent Hill: Homecoming won't have that problem, and by the screenshots, we won't have to worry about bad graphics or crappy monsters. People are already cosplaying creatures that have barely had their embryonic fluids wiped off, and the amazing thing is that the cosplays are GOOD! People found enough reference pics to make an awesome Siam (monster in SH:H. Look him/her up on Google if you haven't already)

*spazzes out in chair* omgsilenthillomgsilenthillomgsilenthillomgsilenthillomgsilenthill

Can you tell I'm a huge Silent Hill fan?
If not, I AM!

leugim789

May 29, 2008
developers keep making bad games through "Sheer Determined Retardation(greatest quote ever)"

G-Virus

Jun 15, 2008
omg, if SH:H is god (i mean, good!), which it will be, my head will literally explode. ^_^

GackleBlax

Sep 26, 2008
I believe it was this review where... Ben? Or whoever the guy is that makes these reviews said "You have 1 second to name a game where weapons wearing away was a good idea." Thats probubly an unexact quote but I immediatly though about prince of persia warrior within. It was fun in that. I just beat that game recently.

yourkie1921

Jul 24, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico post=6.53079.479994 said:
OK So I've been looking up "Silent Hill: Homecoming" - and... I'm gonna place a bet that he may actually have to eat his ass now...
Technically Silent Hill homecoming creates a loophole. Since Yahtzee never specified whether he meant the 5th one or the one labeled "silent hill 5". So whichever one renews the feeling that the series is alive, yahtzee can say he meant the other one.
Weapon degragation was great in Oblivion (Sorry Yahtzee, I know you hate RPGs like that, or do you? Yes? Ok) because it meant you can't take a sword with the ability to blow your enemy to tiny pieces of glass (Not a magic sword, just powerful) over and over as it will break and you will be forced to switch to something like a dagger or a bow, making you more a man/fish/thing with a face made of crap/ogre and less like a god.
He doesn't hate RPGS, he hates JRPGS. And the point still stands a katana that breaks after 5 hits sucks. Also the difference between two weapons that aren't magic is normally not enough to turn you feeling like a god into you feeling like a normal person.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Twix Katana and Fagmasexual, your reviews have me in stitches Yahtzee.
I also agree,#2 is the best of the series.

AllyKat =D

Aug 21, 2010
bit of a late reply but with your comment to silent hill 4.... technically he does go to silent hill through the tunnel but he only really goes to the orphanage =]
just take this as useless information =D

alexbaxthedarkside

May 21, 2009
aw i love this review, its fucking hilarious ^_____^
some yanks that couldn't have missed the point harder if they fired in the wrong direction and the point was in a different country altogether LOL

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Also, you have one second to name any game in which weapon degradation has been a good idea.
Minecraft. Although development on that game wouldn't start until a year after this video was posted, so that may be cheating.

haru101

Feb 2, 2011
Is it me or is that yahtzee's picture at the end when he's compare Charles Dickenson to fanfic writers? lawl